protein for vegetarians

Options
I've been a vegetarian for over a decade. I would consider myself mostly vegan these days meaning I don't eat meat or animal bi- products( eggs, milk, cheese, ect). I have been looking for a way to add more protein into my diet with out overdoing it on the soy, or having all the added fat from nuts. I am considering a protein powder but I'm not sure what to look for, any advice would be great

Replies

• katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using quinoa as a source of protein? Or vital wheat gluten, to make seitan?
  • shakarock
    shakarock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I really like "Pure Protein 100% Whey Powder" in the chocolate flavor. 25g protein, 3g carbs, 3g fat. I mix it with ice, almond milk, sweetener, and unsweetened cocoa powder and it's delicious :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to increase your protein after 10 years?

Green leafy vegetables are a great source of vegetarian protein.
  • Amazigh926
    Amazigh926 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I really like "Pure Protein 100% Whey Powder" in the chocolate flavor. 25g protein, 3g carbs, 3g fat. I mix it with ice, almond milk, sweetener, and unsweetened cocoa powder and it's delicious :)

Whey protein is derived from milk, hence, not vegan.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Beans are a great option & can be easily flavored with spices. :)
  • taytay9955
    Options
    I'd like to add more protein because I'm usually under for my daily intake, and I feel like it takes me longer to recover from workout than my non veg counter parts ( after a good workout my mussels are tender for 3 or more days ). I would like to add more weight training to my workout , but hate feeling sore for so long after. Also looking to add more protein because I've cut out eggs which were a protein staple for me .
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

QUIT

you keep saying this and it will never be true

cite a source that says green veggies have adequate protein

you are doing a disservice to this community
  • debitepper
    Options
    herbalife has a protien meal suplament I like a lot it is soy based. There are some like pea protien, etc at your local health food store. Love a shake in the morning with a bowl of oatmeal or hot/cold grain cereal. I welcome any of your recipes or suggestions I am almost vegan but do eat fish & egg whites.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

There's no such thing as vegetarian protein, there are just proteins. Where you get your protein is up to you. Last I checked 4oz broccoli I ate today has 2.6 grams of protein. If you can get 180grams of protein from vegetables alone, your stomach would explode.
  • trishcass46
    trishcass46 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hemp hearts added to morning shake
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    pea soup! Chuck some in the crockpot. My bowl of soup at dinner had 22 protein. Black eyed peas, lentils, beans, quinoa, oatmeal, hemp powder (I do hemp powder with raw cacao powder + banana and 10 almonds + almond milk for a smoothie and it has 20 something protein as well.)
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans, and quinoa are all amazing sources of protein. Also, I use kale in salads as it packs more protein than most greens. There are vegan protein powders that don't use soy - hemp and pea are a couple. I haven't found a vegan one I like so I'm still using a whey protein (I'm not a vegan, so it doesn't bother me too much, though I would love to find a vegan one I liked).
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options

QUIT

check out Dr. T Colin Campbell, or Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, or Dr. Neil Barnard, or Dr. John MacDougall, or Dr. Matt Lederman, I could go on, but basically, if you are eating a variety of whole, plant foods, you will not have any problems getting enough protein.
    now, to answer the posted question - all beans, and lentils are low fat great sources protein, and if you feel you want to add a protein powder I'd recommend SunWarrior, it's totally raw vegan, easy to digest, and tastes good too.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As mentioned "Pea Protein" the NOW brand is 100% Pure, Non-GMO Pea Protein Isolate [From Yellow Peas (Pisum Sativum)]

My son has sensitivity to the whey protein and takes this. There are other brands around that are flavored. The flavor is different is all I can say. But if you mix fruit etc it should help. But 28 g protein for 1 scoop isn't bad try adding almond or soy milk for added extra protein.

2 Lbs. Unflavored
    Serving Size 1Level Scoop(33g)
    Servings Per Container 27
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Calories 130
    Total Fat 2g 3%*
    Trans Fat 0g †
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 1g <1%*
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%*
    Sugars 0g †
    Protein 28 56%*
    Sodium 330g 14%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
    † Daily Value not established
    Other Ingredients
    100% Pure, Non-GMO Pea Protein Isolate [From Yellow Peas (Pisum Sativum)]
    Directions For Pea Protein: Add 1 level scoop (33 g) to 8 oz. of cold water, juice, or your favorite beverage and blend.

Best Price
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/peaprotein.html

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Pea-Protein-Multi-Pack/dp/B0041U1TF0/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_5/181-4922154-4979467
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

QUIT

check out Dr. T Colin Campbell, or Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, or Dr. Neil Barnard, or Dr. John MacDougall, or Dr. Matt Lederman, I could go on, but basically, if you are eating a variety of whole, plant foods, you will not have any problems getting enough protein.
    now, to answer the posted question - all beans, and lentils are low fat great sources protein, and if you feel you want to add a protein powder I'd recommend SunWarrior, it's totally raw vegan, easy to digest, and tastes good too.

He said leafy greens... last time I checked leafy greens didn't contain much protein. I would have to eat over 10 cups of spinach for example, 5 of kale, to get a measley 10g of protein.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

QUIT

Lacto-ovo vegeterians(I’ll just call them veggie’s for short)

lacto ovo...dairy and egg protein sources

NOT green veggies
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just made this same post a while back and someone suggested edamame.