protein for vegetarians

Options

Replies

• gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    For protein powder I like raw protein by garden of life (vegan).
    Foods:
    -mushrooms
    -legumes
    -seed
    -hemp hearts
    -nuts
    -braggs liquid aminos
    -seitan
    -soy
    -vegetables
    Been veg for over 25 years. As you can see from my avatar pic I have a ridiculous amount of hair. So yeah I've never had any trouble getting enough protein.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to increase your protein after 10 years?

Green leafy vegetables are a great source of vegetarian protein.

QUIT

you keep saying this and it will never be true

cite a source that says green veggies have adequate protein

you are doing a disservice to this community

Lacto-ovo vegeterians(I’ll just call them veggie’s for short)

lacto ovo...dairy and egg protein sources

NOT green veggies

The Ph Miracle Diet, 90% green vegetables
    phmiracle_example2.gif
    Well that's it then, prove positive......where's dat der broccoli.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I struggle myself!
    Cottage cheese is a good source if you are lacto. However, for me, I don't like it, so I use it to make protein pancakes. There are lots of recipes online.
    I have a friend who is vegan who swears by brown rice protein powder, but I've never tried it.

As far as veggies go, mushrooms and avocados have above-average protein content, for veggies.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    TrueNutrition has a great vegan protein - I do a mix of 75% gemma pea and 25% brown rice for a total of 25g protein and 117 calories per scoop. The birthday cake flavor is delicious in shakes or oatmeal!

Lentils are a great non-soy protein and source of vitamins/nutrition, as is seitan (I love primal strips - 74 calories and 10g protein per strip for the Thai Peanut flavor). I also make the homemade seitan from The Post-Punk Kitchen and use that in stir fries, or just eaten in "slabs" with mashed sweet potato and veggies.

Mushrooms also have a great protein-to-calorie ratio.
  • Black_Assassin
    Black_Assassin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Beans are a great source of carbs fiber and protein..they have vegan also..try it!!
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Vega protein powder, it's vegan and it's pretty good.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My staples for protein are mushrooms, quinoa, and tofu...I do like the Inca Meal protein powder, it's a mix of sprouted grain, totally vegan, and berry flavored...but I don't do protein shakes very often...I have found that I get plenty decent results if I eat at least 50g of protein a day, which is not a difficult number to meet...I'm 150+ lbs, I'm not sure what goal you are tying to meet, but I find that MFP sets my goal much higher than what I really need, and I don't experience a slow recover post workout (currently doing P90X)...I would look more to potassium and B vitamins to correct that than protein.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to increase your protein after 10 years?

Green leafy vegetables are a great source of vegetarian protein.

QUIT

you keep saying this and it will never be true

cite a source that says green veggies have adequate protein

you are doing a disservice to this community

I don't think that any vegan/vegetarian would say that green leafy veggies would be the only way you get protein, just an addition to other sources.
    I like Sunwarrior protein powder. Beans are great and add alot of fiber so the net carbs aren't so bad. Quinoa, lentils, basically what everyone has been saying are great.
  • stephvaile
    Options
    herbalife has a protien meal suplament I like a lot it is soy based. There are some like pea protien, etc at your local health food store. Love a shake in the morning with a bowl of oatmeal or hot/cold grain cereal. I welcome any of your recipes or suggestions I am almost vegan but do eat fish & egg whites.
    you are not even nearly vegetarian never mind nearly vegan .

a vegetarian does not eat meat fish or poultry

a vegan does not eat any animal based foods or wear/use animal based products even medication tested on animals .

checkout myprotein .com they label their products for vegetarians and vegans
  • neanderthin
    Options
    herbalife has a protien meal suplament I like a lot it is soy based. There are some like pea protien, etc at your local health food store. Love a shake in the morning with a bowl of oatmeal or hot/cold grain cereal. I welcome any of your recipes or suggestions I am almost vegan but do eat fish & egg whites.
    you are not even nearly vegetarian never mind nearly vegan .

a vegetarian does not eat meat fish or poultry

a vegan does not eat any animal based foods or wear/use animal based products even medication tested on animals .

checkout myprotein .com they label their products for vegetarians and vegans
    Yes, can't forget the label that is required, never leave home without it. The nerve of some people thinking their almost vegan:smile: . j/k
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bumping for information - I really struggle to get enough protein - Off to make quinoa for lunch
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Try seitan. Contains about 20 g's of protein in a 3 ounce serving, a few of my vegan friends use it, and seem to like it. I tell them of course you do, they laugh and I give them the poker face.:wink:
    Bumping for information - I really struggle to get enough protein - Off to make quinoa for lunch
  • fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Beans are an awesome protein source and no fat..... :)
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine told me to soak some flax seed in water for about 8 hours and then eat it. It is pure protein and very good for you. It also cleans your system. Just don't eat anything for a half an hour before it or after it.

Please don't listen to the nasty people here questioning your lifestyle. It always seems to be the same ones over and over and they are so unbelievably rude. You should also google it. I personally love beans, all beans. Wild rice has a fair amount of protein too. I think protein is overrated personally and too much is bad for your body. Most of the people spouting off that you should be eating meat, fail to eat many veggies at all. I think the nutrients you receive from fruits and veggies is priceless. I also love quinoa too, rich in calcium, iron, fiber ans sooo much more.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Flax is great for n:3 ALA, but for protein it's not so good. 1tbsp of ground has 1g of protein.
    a friend of mine told me to soak some flax seed in water for about 8 hours and then eat it. It is pure protein and very good for you. It also cleans your system. Just don't eat anything for a half an hour before it or after it.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Plant Fusion for me, watching my cholesterol
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    hemp hearts added to morning shake

yep, you can get hemp seeds or hemp protein from your local health food store. Whole foods might carry the seeds as well.