protein for vegetarians

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine told me to soak some flax seed in water for about 8 hours and then eat it. It is pure protein and very good for you. It also cleans your system. Just don't eat anything for a half an hour before it or after it.

Please don't listen to the nasty people here questioning your lifestyle. It always seems to be the same ones over and over and they are so unbelievably rude. You should also google it. I personally love beans, all beans. Wild rice has a fair amount of protein too. I think protein is overrated personally and too much is bad for your body. Most of the people spouting off that you should be eating meat, fail to eat many veggies at all. I think the nutrients you receive from fruits and veggies is priceless. I also love quinoa too, rich in calcium, iron, fiber ans sooo much more.

No one is questioning the OP's lifestyle. They are questioning the dipsh!t who proposed eating green leafy vegetables as a great source of protein.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Previous generations figured it out. Remember Popeye the Sailor? Remember that episode where he decided that spinach was lame and said "Oh, i gotta get my protein, bro" and switched to red meat? Yea, me neither.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Previous generations figured it out. Remember Popeye the Sailor? Remember that episode where he decided that spinach was lame and said "Oh, i gotta get my protein, bro" and switched to red meat? Yea, me neither.
    Yeah I remember reading it in JAMA and AJCN medical journals....they seem to think Popeye's can was a little small and too processed to deliver the forearm explosion as seen on tv. :wink:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I really hate to be the one to break this to you, but basing your nutrition on a cartoon is not the best aproach

it does explain you though...so there is that
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    herbalife has a protien meal suplament I like a lot it is soy based. There are some like pea protien, etc at your local health food store. Love a shake in the morning with a bowl of oatmeal or hot/cold grain cereal. I welcome any of your recipes or suggestions I am almost vegan but do eat fish & egg whites.
    you are not even nearly vegetarian never mind nearly vegan .

a vegetarian does not eat meat fish or poultry

a vegan does not eat any animal based foods or wear/use animal based products even medication tested on animals .

checkout myprotein .com they label their products for vegetarians and vegans
    Yes, can't forget the label that is required, never leave home without it. The nerve of some people thinking their almost vegan:smile: . j/k

While we live in a society that seems to want to free itself from labels, labeling a fish-and-egg eating person as a vegan causes confusion. What happens when someone goes to a restaurant for its "vegan options" only to find that they include eggs and cheese? Or a family member looks for vegan options to feed their loved one, and finds a really great salmon recipe? It puts the people who ascribe to that lifestyle and the provider of the food in an awkward position.

Labels exist for consistency, and if someone doesn't eat a certain way, they shouldn't be labeled as such. Someone who eats shellfish is not kosher, someone who occasionally eats wheat bread does not eat gluten-free. So on and so on. It's a matter of consistency and preventing confusion.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds are loaded with protein. 1/4 cup has a huge 18 g of protein!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Beans and brown rice make a complete protein. And you don't have to only eat beans and rice- I just make dishes that include those two things.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    WHy do you want to add more protein, is your hair falling out, nails brittle, your muscles shrinking?

It could be that protein is often more filling and sticks with you a bit longer. That's why I try to get more in my diet.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Okay, but you have to understand that you're not in the majority in terms of diet and nutrition, so holding yourself to the same standard doesn't make sense. You're following a very specific diet that has really limited you in terms of what you can eat. I think you can effectively say that you're not going to meet the macronutrient ideals for the general public. Unless you're experiencing health problems, I wouldn't lose sleep over not meeting MFP's recommended number.

Edit: Perhaps it would make sense for you to talk to a nutritionist who understands the vegan ideals?
  • Rocbola
    Options

I really hate to be the one to break this to you, but basing your nutrition on a cartoon is not the best aproach

You genuinely believe that i get my nutritional info from a cartoon? I guess that explains you a little.
  • stephvaile
    Options
    Can the pure vegetarian (vegan) diet provide enough protein for sound human health? The medical community agrees about the distinct health advantages of a pure vegetarian diet, but the protein question stays with us because animal products have been promoted by the industries that produce them, sell them, and want people to think of them as the best source of protein. This assumption is wrong and can be harmful, as a quick study of the facts about daily requirements of protein and nutrition shows.

click to view

Learn More
    The Importance of Protein
    Protein is essential to human health. Our bodies—hair, muscles, fingernails, and so on—are made up mostly of protein. As suggested by the differences between our muscles and our fingernails, not all proteins are alike. This is because differing combinations of any number of 20 amino acids may constitute a protein. In much the same way that the 26 letters of our alphabet serve to form millions of different words, the 20 amino acids serve to form different proteins.
    Amino acids are a fundamental part of our diet. While half of the 20 can be manufactured by the human body, the other 10 cannot.1 These "essential amino acids" can easily be provided by a balanced vegan diet.

How Much Protein?
    As babies, our mothers' milk provided the protein we needed to grow healthy and strong. Once we start eating solid foods, non-animal sources can easily provide us with all the protein we need. Only 10 percent of the total calories consumed by the average human being need be in the form of protein.2

The Recommended Dietary Daily Allowance for both men and women is 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight.3 People with special needs (such as pregnant women) are advised to get a little more.

Vegans should not worry about getting enough protein; if you eat a reasonably varied diet and ingest sufficient calories, you will undoubtedly get enough protein. Protein deficiency, or "kwashiorkor," is very rare in the U.S. and is usually diagnosed in people living in countries suffering from famine.4
    By contrast, eating too much animal protein has been directly linked to the formation of kidney stones and has been associated with cancer of the colon and liver.5,6 By replacing animal protein with vegetable protein, you can improve your health while enjoying a wide variety of delicious foods.
    Protein Sources
    While just about every whole food contains some protein, the soybean deserves special mention, for it contains all the essential amino acids and surpasses all other food plants in the amount of protein that it can deliver to the human system. In this regard, it is nearly equal to meat.7

The many different and delicious soy products (such as tempeh, soy "hot dogs" and "burgers," Tofutti brand "ice cream," soy milk, and tofu) available in health and grocery stores suggest that the soybean, in its many forms, can accommodate a wide range of tastes.

Note: Some people are "soy intolerant" and would be better off with other sources (below) of protein. Be sure to check with your doctor about getting testing for soy allergies, especially if you don't feel good after eating soy products.

Raw Power Protein
    Other rich sources of non-animal protein include legumes, nuts, seeds, yeast, and freshwater algae. Although food yeasts ("nutritional yeast" and "brewer’s yeast") do not lend themselves to forming the center of one's diet, they are extremely nutritious additions to most menus (in soups, gravies, breads, casseroles, and dips). Most yeasts get about 50 percent of their calories from protein.8

It's important to note that most nutritionists, dieticians, and official sources agree that we need only 2.5%-10% of our calories from protein(9,10,11), and ALL vegetables offer us more than that(12).

Here are some examples of vegetarian foods with high sources of plant protein:

Protein in Legume: Garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, soybeans, split peas

Protein in Grain: Barley, brown rice, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, ouinoa, rye, wheat germ, wheat, wild rice

Vegetable Protein: Artichokes, beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, green peas, green pepper, kale, lettuce, mushroom, mustard green, onions, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, turnip greens, watercress, yams, zucchini

Protein in Fruit: Apple, banana, cantaloupe, grape, grapefruit, honeydew melon, orange, papaya, peach, pear, pineapple, dtrawberry, yangerine, eatermelon

Hemp Protein

Protein in Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, cashews, filberts, hemp seeds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts (black)
    One excellent ingredient to look for is hemp seed protein. Hemp seed is an nutritious dietary source of easily digestible gluten-free protein. It provides a well-balanced array of all the amino acids, including 34.6 grams of protein for each 100 grams. The fatty acid profile of the hemp seed is extremely beneficial, containing omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in a virtually ideal ratio. Other beneficial aspects of hemp seed include a strongly favorable unsaturated-to-saturated fat ratio; a high content of antioxidants; and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals.

Additionally, super green foods provide an excellent source of protein (70% in some cases).

Want more detailed info on vegetarian protein, vegan nutrition, and health?
    basic nutrition 101 | advanced nutrition

i found this article i have been veggie for 28 years and never had a problem getting enough protein . but it depends on wat the op wants to acheive i have a very little knowledge of weight training but i believe they tend to reduce carbs and up protein for a more lean look maybe that is the reason why .
    i believe as with all diets a variety of foods gives us everything we need but if op wants more protein and is finding it difficult then a protein drink could be the way to go there are loads of articles for and against too much soya but as others have stated there are plenty of alternatives including quorn which is a mushroom so yes vegetables do have protein in them maybe not as much as tofu soy and all the other s mentioned but you can get good vegatarian shakes .
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Yeah I remember reading it in JAMA and AJCN medical journals....they seem to think Popeye's can was a little small and too processed to deliver the forearm explosion as seen on tv. :wink:
    I concede. I imagine any sailor eats more canned/processed foods than is ideal.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

You genuinely believe that i get my nutritional info from a cartoon? I guess that explains you a little.

based on the nutritional "advice" you spout, a cartoon guiding your course seems as plausible as any other.
  • McGruber03
    Options
    bump
  • Rocbola
    Options
    based on the nutritional "advice" you spout, a cartoon guiding your course seems as plausible as any other.
    I know, it's SO much of a stretch to believe that fruits and vegetables are good for you.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I know, it's SO much of a stretch to believe that fruits and vegetables are good for you.

No one has said fruits and vegetables are not good for you. That would be asinine. Just as asinine as the bullsh!t you continually spout about meat and oil and bread being bad for you.
  • Rocbola
    Options

No one has said fruits and vegetables are not good for you. That would be asinine. Just as asinine as the bullsh!t you continually spout about meat and oil and bread being bad for you.
    By all means, eat all the meat, bread and oil you want. Please. Take up smoking and get a motorcycle while you're at it.
  • sjohnny
    Options

By all means, eat all the meat, bread and oil you want. Please. Take up smoking and get a motorcycle while you're at it.

I do. I quit smoking 2 and a half years ago and I have a motorcycle.
  • Aleph13
    Aleph13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm :huh:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I have asthma and terrible balance. That wouldn't be incredibly smart.

Where do you get adequate fats from in your diet?