Open your food log to others or not, that's the question.

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    ...how come your Diary isn't open? Oh, NM, you're not coming back....d'oh.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like looking over other peoples food logs just to get ideas on different meals/foods. I never would have discovered Shiritaki noodles if I hadn't!

I completely understand people who want to keep things private, but who cares! We are all on this website with the same goal, to make ourselves healthier. We all post our fat pictures and our update pictures. Why hide our foods if we don't hide our flub!

*edited part*

I completely disagree that you should be super concerned with people who don't post their diary though. In the end, it is their business, and if you don't like it, Unfriend them! I personally will always share mine, because I like people to see how I can be stuffed as a big guy eating barely over 1400 calories a day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am extremely concerned when it comes to people on MFP who won't share their food logs.

I am extremely concerned when it comes to people who are this nosy.

It's my food log to do with as I please. I don't take unsolicited advice, so what good does it do for someone to offer it?

If I have a specific question that requires people to see what I'm eating, I'll open my food diary to them. Though mine IS currently open to friends, it hasn't always been.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Lmao. You mean after all that, the OP's diary isn't even open? God, I love this place.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    LOL - that is so funny - and the ultimate irony? I never even thought to check!!!!
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    I have a few friends with closed food diaries, it doesn't bother me. If they feel they need to hide what they eat, so be it. Mine is open. I like open diaries because it gives me ideas on thing I could incorporate into my own food.
    I do not tell people great job if their diary is closed. In the end it is their choice
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    Wait! I believe you should have never posted this. Your diary is not open. LMAO
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I love your passion, but you're extremely concerned about someone like me that chooses to keep my diary private?! What I eat, how I get my calories is my business, no one else's. If for some reason what I was doing wasn't getting results and I *needed* help, then yes, I'd probably open it up to my friends so they could point out where I'm going wrong. But at this point, my diary is private. I'm fully able to hold myself accountable and it's working. Why fix something that isn't broken?

^this. OP, you worry about you, and I will worry about me. I've been doing just great having support from people without my diary being open. Do what works for you and I'll do what works for me.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Her diary isn't open?! *checks* It is indeed NOT open. AHAHAHAHAHA!

Any bets to how long it'll be before there's another "YOU GUYS ARE SO MEAN!" thread? I'm no bookie, but I accept expensive jewelry and priceless family heirlooms in place of cash.....
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but I do think commenting "WTG" or "Great job!" on someone's diary that is private is silly. Someone could eat nothing but a box of ding dongs all day and still come in under. That's hardly a good job. :sick: But it's really not a huge deal if they don't want to share with me or other friends. I just am unable to provide much encouragement having little to no idea what they're eating. :ohwell: That typically results in them providing little encouragement to me, and eventually me unfriending them because it's pointless (to me) to have "friends" I'm not actually interacting with.

Sometimes having open diaries doesn't stop those "friends" from rewarding questionable behaviour. A friend of mine had nothing but lemon water all day, and a friend of theirs enthusiastically commented "under! Woohoo!" :huh:
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My diary is open by choice whatever anyone does is their business!! However, everyone could use a tip SURELY!!!!! :smile:

Not everyone. I'm a pretty reasonable, responsible adult who has learned to be capable of making my own choices, and am accountable to no one but myself.

If I want ideas on something new, I look for it or ask a general question of my FL. I don't need to go creeping through peoples' diaries to get it.
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well, I for one am concerned with people who keep their diaries open. What, are you some kind of show off? An exhibitionist? Are you keeping your diary open as a way to show the world that you are better than they are? I worry that these people are keeping their diaries open not for help and support but because they think they are eating better than us and we need the example to follow.

Yep, that's it ... they are ego maniacs with a superiority complex. It has to stop.
  • rfsatar
    Options

Any bets to how long it'll be before there's another "YOU GUYS ARE SO MEAN!" thread? I'm no bookie, but I accept expensive jewelry and priceless family heirlooms in place of cash.....
    Hmm ... Put me down for a stale packet of crisps and half a pair of 9ct gold studs ...
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm sure her diary is probably open to those whom are friends with her.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options

Hmm ... Put me down for a stale packet of crisps and half a pair of 9ct gold studs ...

She'll probably take a day or so to stew about how mean everyone is. . . I'll take tomorrow at 8PM (Pacific) for $3.
  • rfsatar
    Options
    But ... That was not the ethos in her original post ... And she became upset when people stood up for their reasons to keep their own diaries either private or only open to their own friends ...
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    But ... That was not the ethos in her original post ... And she became upset when people stood up for their reasons to keep their own diaries either private or only open to their own friends ...

I didn't see anything specific to being publicly open or open to friends, I must have missed that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am extremely concerned when it comes to people on MFP who won't share their food logs. If you want to lose weight, and you are friends with others on MFP, why wouldn't you want the encouragement one receives when they SEE what you've put in your face?
    I think some have to think about why they came to MFP in the first place. Did you come to use the food and exercise logs? Did you come for advice from others who know your plight? Do you feel that you have no clue how to lose weight or to maintain your health? How can others help you if you aren't ready to give them the information they need in order to give a bit of advice? People can tell you all day how to do something but ultimately it is up to you.
    That last sentence is likely why some people don't share their food logs. It doesn't matter what others say/think of what you eat. It is ultimately up to each person to keep themselves on track.
    Keeping a food journal makes a person responsible and accountable for what they put in their face. It is also a known fact that those who do keep a food journal lose more weight than those who don't.
    BUT, Is there any evidence that those who allow others see your food journal lose more than those who don't.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Even better... same friend... would happily nab my chips (fries for y'all in the US) when I bought a bowl after classes... but HEAVEN FORFEND that we should nab a chip back when they bought some... excuse being "I'm broke and I have to travel back so this is my dinner..." uh huh... I just walked out of a well paid IT job to be a penniless journo... you think I paid for my fries with magic pixie dust, and that I don't need dinner too?

But now I have the secret weapon... they seemed to have an aversion to anything "veggie"... 'tis an awesome weapon of food-stealer-destruction! :-)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I just got back from a week at Disney and they don't even take magic pixie dust in place of money!!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I open mine so that I can get feedback and give other people ideas for meals....I like to look at other's diaries for the same reason!