How to go to a bar and not get hammered?

Options

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Leave the credit card at home, just leave 5-10 dollars in your wallet.

Yeah, if she's having to pay for drinks she's doing it wrong...may not be a good strategery...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    offer to be the DD and do not have ANY drinks.

Apparently it's not the popular answer, but this is what I do. Ok, maybe one. But only ONE!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You find some hot 26 year old chick that gets hammered and take her with you.....speaking from experience it is easy to sober....and after you are done holding her hair back........
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

At least *I'll* try to give you a serious response!

hmmm I was very serious.
    Always am.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    only take your ID and 15 bucks

This. Leave your credit/debit card at home and only bring enough cash for a couple of drinks. Don't let others buy drinks for you. Take it slow and have a good time.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    what is with this place today
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I like drinking and having fun too but it really should not be a challenge to go to a bar and NOT get wasted...

It should really not be a challenge to eat food and NOT get fat also, but... *looks around*

Gasp!!! ARE YOU CALLING ME FATTT?!?!?!
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options

As a girl, I can safely bet that I have never bought more than two of my own drinks in any given night out. I have come home plastered many a time on some random mens dollars. And then left them at the bar.

yeah... I'd get you to buy me a drink...
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Have a glass of water between each drink, make it a pop if you are more likely to order it than water.

Leave the empty glasses, the straws or limes or something from each drink on the table so you can visually see how much you are drinking. (This one helps me a lot).

Hang out with people who drink less than you do, it might encourage you to drink less also.

Drink something you can have a lot of without getting hammered (vodka and club soda for me).

Don't order pints or don't drink draft beer (that is the worst for getting drunk for me! and the hangovers - ugh!)

Order mixed drinks in a tall glass with only 1 shot and a lot of mix.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Eat A LOT of meat before you go out drinking. All jokes aside, if you eat a very heavy, dense meal before you go out, that generally helps with not getting as drunk. I usually rely on Chipotle for that or a big juicy burger. Mmm... if you're a vegetarian/vegan, I have no advice for you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hi all, this is a serious question!
    Every single time I go to the bar, I end up drinking more than I planned. I'll go with every intention to have only two beers and to drink slowly. I don't know what comes over me, but I just can't stick with only two drinks!

Anyone have any advice?

Also, I know avoiding the bar is the obvious solution, but I really love going when my friend's bands play. I'd just like to be able to go and enjoy myself without drinking so much.

Thanks!

Quit drinking? They serve non-alcoholic beverages at bars.......and that way you get to tell the funny stories the next day.:happy:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Don't drink draft beer (that is the worst! and the hangovers - ugh!)

well this is technically incorrect. the difference between the same beer as draft, bottled, and canned is the just container
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Eat A LOT of meat before you go out drinking. All jokes aside, if you eat a very heavy, dense meal before you go out, that generally helps with not getting as drunk. I usually rely on Chipotle for that or a big juicy burger. Mmm... if you're a vegetarian/vegan, I have no advice for you.

I usually eat a lot of meat after getting hammered, not prior.

Too much? Ok, I'll go back in my corner.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    weird....this happens to me all the time!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Sometimes ya just gotta be the super drunk girl that falls asleep under the table. No shame. Just make sure you have some good friends to keep you safe.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your answers! :) I think I will try the "STICK TO MY PLAN" thing again, but take it seriously this time. Also, I'll drink a heavy beer with a few waters in between. Thanks for that helpful advice :flowerforyou:

It shouldn't be a challenge, you are right, but I tend to get caught up in the moment, and when someone buys me a drink, I rarely turn it down. No need to get all judgy :flowerforyou:

Cheers! :drinker:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    25536715_1897.jpg

couldn't help myself. it was too perfect a set up.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    <~~ don't go with this b!tch. it won't end well.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options

This. Your ID, enough cash for your planned drinks, and your health insurance card. No credit card. Tell your friends you really don't want to drink too much and to NOT lend you money. Tell the bartender, especially if they know you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I usually eat a lot of meat after getting hammered, not prior.

How you doin?