How to go to a bar and not get hammered?

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    offer to be the DD and do not have ANY drinks.

NO NO NO, please dont do this. If you have to ask the original question,..well please dont do this ^^

meh. one eye, one road.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

I usually eat a lot of meat after getting hammered, not prior.

Too much? Ok, I'll go back in my corner.

YOU got any plans this weekend?? :bigsmile:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    That happened to me for 30 years before I realized I just had to quit. it's a problem if you can't just go in and have a few beers. If you walk out hammered every time, you have a problem.

a dose of honest win, right here.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    only take your ID and 15 bucks

This. Your ID, enough cash for your planned drinks, and your health insurance card. No credit card. Tell your friends you really don't want to drink too much and to NOT lend you money. Tell the bartender, especially if they know you.

I'd end up handing them my health insurance card and *hic* telling them I'm *hic* good for it. :laugh:
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hi all, this is a serious question!
    Every single time I go to the bar, I end up drinking more than I planned. I'll go with every intention to have only two beers and to drink slowly. I don't know what comes over me, but I just can't stick with only two drinks!

Anyone have any advice?

Also, I know avoiding the bar is the obvious solution, but I really love going when my friend's bands play. I'd just like to be able to go and enjoy myself without drinking so much.

Thanks!

Say no to the guys offering to buy you drinks?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    25536715_1897.jpg

couldn't help myself. it was too perfect a set up.

when i first read the topic title, my original answer was going to be "use a spotter"
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Don't drink draft beer (that is the worst! and the hangovers - ugh!)

well this is technically incorrect. the difference between the same beer as draft, bottled, and canned is the just container

I drink draft a lot faster than a bottle. Can't get cans at the bars here.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Self control as stated before. You're in control of what goes into your piehole. Stop drinking after 2. Pace yourself better. Alternate between alcohol and water drinks.
    ^^^ this and enjoy :flowerforyou:
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You're not going to stop it unless you just dont drink. Maybe sip on water between drinks to slow yourself down. Otherwise yes it is just self control .
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Everybody loves the person in the bar who's sober,they always have the best and most entertaining stories,but with me been Irish I'm not in any position to be giving advice on people's drinking,eat drink and be merry my friend
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I go out and just drink diet cokes.
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I'll make sure you get in to a bed. :devil:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Eat something carb heavy before drinking (like pizza, pasta etc..), pre game at home for a nice buzz, leave the credit/debit card at home, and take 15-20 bucks with you. A drink or two at the bar will help maintain the buzz you got going on at home without being hammered. Drink water or diet soda in between. :drinker:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Two waters between each beer.

1) you'll stay hydrated
    2) you'll have more water in you than beer
    3) you wont get drunk
    4) you'll have better self control
    5) you'll have more money in your pocket

This is what I do. I drink a lot no matter what I'm drinking - water/coffee/tea/whiskey/beer - so it's not a matter of "controlling" myself, it's all about having fun responsibly.

For all you folks coming down on her like a load of bricks, please don't assume that everybody is like you. If you have a problem with alcohol, it's great that you recognize that and stay away from it.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options
    Everybody loves the person in the bar who's sober,they always have the best and most entertaining stories,but with me been Irish I'm not in any position to be giving advice on people's drinking,eat drink and be merry my friend

You advertise the fact that you are Irish and you live in England?

That is brave, my friend....
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options

1) you'll stay hydrated
    3) you wont get drunk

This is what I do. I drink a lot no matter what I'm drinking - water/coffee/tea/whiskey/beer - so it's not a matter of "controlling" myself, it's all about having fun responsibly.

For all you folks coming down on her like a load of bricks, please don't assume that everybody is like you. If you have a problem with alcohol, it's great that you recognize that and stay away from it.

Oh god... I read this as a "load of pricks"

It was SO much better that way.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

1) you'll stay hydrated
    3) you wont get drunk

Oh god... I read this as a "load of pricks"

It was SO much better that way.

oh, the visual i just got....
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Sometimes ya just gotta be the super drunk girl that falls asleep under the table. No shame. Just make sure you have some good friends to keep you safe.

t9x4M.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself throughtout the evening...seriously though...two drinks? More than that and you're hammered? Wish I could do that...save me a ton of $$ and calories too.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    How often do you go?

I don't see a problem with getting hammered once or twice a month. I HAVE NO self-control, I guess that's why I am here and it's not something that you can just exercise... you either have it or you don't.

I eat a huge meal right before and snack at the bar then I am too full to drink. Now, if I have an agenda to get trashed I drink on an empty stomach. :drinker:

People, don't judge...:tongue: