How to go to a bar and not get hammered?

Options

Replies

• btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Smoke a J
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself throughtout the evening...seriously though...two drinks? More than that and you're hammered? Wish I could do that...save me a ton of $$ and calories too.
    Hah, no but once I break my resolve and have that third drink, I am much more likely to just keep drinking till it's time to go home. By hammered I don't mean falling down slurring words... I just mean drunk, not buzzed.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How often do you go?

I don't see a problem with getting hammered once or twice a month.

... Uh oh....

:indifferent:
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Drink a bottle of scotch at home alone the night before. . Then, when you go to the bar you'll be hungover and the smell of drink will make you gag.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your answers! :) I think I will try the "STICK TO MY PLAN" thing again, but take it seriously this time. Also, I'll drink a heavy beer with a few waters in between. Thanks for that helpful advice :flowerforyou:

This, this, this, and oh yeah, this. Our judgment goes right into the toilet after just one drink. I found after I got sober, I'm a heckuva lot more fun when I'm not drinking. And, blackmail. :D I hope you can stick to it... just make your plan for the night BEFORE you leave the house, and let nothing derail you. And make sure you have a plan to get home safe too.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    How often do you go?

... Uh oh....

I said don't judge... :grumble:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Hi all, this is a serious question!
    Every single time I go to the bar, I end up drinking more than I planned. I'll go with every intention to have only two beers and to drink slowly. I don't know what comes over me, but I just can't stick with only two drinks!

Anyone have any advice?

Also, I know avoiding the bar is the obvious solution, but I really love going when my friend's bands play. I'd just like to be able to go and enjoy myself without drinking so much.

Thanks!

This is not a judgment, just an observation from experience from both personal and from the experience of people that I cared about. From your post, you admit that you do not have control over your drinking. This is a huge sign of having a problem with alcohol. You could be in the early stages of alcoholism. Many people think they don't have an alcohol problem unless they are falling down drunk everyday, but that isn't the case. You are risking health problems, legal problems, and relationship problems if you continue on this path. You came on a public forum with this question, so I see this as a cry for help. I suggest contacting your nearest AA chapter, or talking to someone who has been where you are and has gotten help. I sincerely hope that you aren't driving when you go out, because that could certainly end in tragedy.
    Sorry to be the downer at the party, but too many of my loved ones have had their lives damaged or destroyed by alcohol. It can happen all too easily. I hope you seek help from somewhere other than this forum.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options
    How often do you go?

... Uh oh....

Ha. What I meant is if it's okay only once or twice a month then I am a lush.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I found that I could only go to a bar and not get hammered once I joined AA.

Just something to think about - a regular drinker is capable of controlling his or her consumption; an alcoholic, is not.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    How often do you go?

... Uh oh....

I think you should order her a slow comfortable screw against the wall... Just saying...
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Two waters between each beer.

1) you'll stay hydrated
    2) you'll have more water in you than beer
    3) you wont get drunk
    4) you'll have better self control
    5) you'll have more money in your pocket

what if she doesnt drink beer?

She said "I go with the intention of only having two beers, but end up having more"

So with that said I figured hey ...she drinks beer
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options

1) you'll stay hydrated
    3) you wont get drunk

what if she doesnt drink beer?

She said "I go with the intention of only having two beers, but end up having more"

So with that said I figured hey ...she drinks beer

Skim readers... hehe..
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Drink a bottle of scotch at home alone the night before. . Then, when you go to the bar you'll be hungover and the smell of drink will make you gag.
    Classic
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Drink a bottle of vodka before you go to the bar...sure fire way of drinking less when you get there...:drinker:
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    How often do you go?

... Uh oh....

Haha! Misunderstood... Sorry! Can I buy you a drink? LOL!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Don't wait until "Last Call". Pick someone to go home with earlier.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

1) you'll stay hydrated
    3) you wont get drunk

^This, all the way, I always drink water between drinks, at least when I'm not wanting to get hammered:)
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options
    Also didn't you know that free drinks don't count? :wink:
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    This works for me: drink the 2 beers limit & then switch to diet soda, do lots of dancing & talking w/your friends. Before you know it the Band is done playing & the Bar is closing! Works everytime :happy:
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, exactly what kind of answers were you expecting to get here? Was the answer not obvious enough already?

Well if we had that kind of self control already we probably wouldn't be here at all. This question is just as legit as all the countless treads asking how to stop binge eating or eating fatty foods/chocolate/candy/soda... You get my point, just don't eat them isn't always the answer we need