Fat girl dead-lifting

Options

Replies

• this_time_nextyear
    Options
    Wow, seriously inspirational. Weights is my next step definitely!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Wish you were here so we could dead lift together - you rock! :)

Well if you ever come to Australia.... :wink:
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Very impressive. Do you have some Maori in your heritage like Valerie Vili?
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

I'm Pakeha, however I think you'll find Valerie is half Tongan half Pakeha. I don't think she has any Maori in her.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options

I'm Pakeha, however I think you'll find Valerie is half Tongan half Pakeha. I don't think she has any Maori in her.
    My mistake..I'm afraid my ignorance is showing. I've been a fan of Valerie's for quite a while, and now I'm a fan of yours too.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Haha at the comment up there^, I'd def be up for a DL session with you too :wink: You rock girl!
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

My mistake..I'm afraid my ignorance is showing. I've been a fan of Valerie's for quite a while, and now I'm a fan of yours too.

I think she's living in Switzerland currently. I wouldn't want to be on her bad side, she's about a foot taller than me. And she's got A LOT of brothers and sisters...
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Wish you were here so we could dead lift together - you rock! :)

Well if you ever come to Australia.... :wink:

:laugh: One day!
  • Whirlagirl
    Options
    This post is such good fitspo, thank you for sharing!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    omg. There must be something wrong with me, I thought this was a thread about a fat girl that died lifting :laugh: Since that's me, I was concerned!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Last-night I asked my trainer to take a few photos of me dead-lifting, he took some awesome photos, but it also reminded me of how far I've come, and some of the challenges I faced.

8289646955_829d5ce34d_z.jpg

I love this photo because I look strong. Also because I'm lifting 90kg/198lbs, but there isn't any strain on my face, it looks easy.

Now here's the photo that reminds me of how far I've come:

8293065146_1a6b359852_z.jpg

It's not very flattering, and I wouldn't normally show a picture like this in public.... but here's why it's important to me.

Every day on these forums, I encourage heavy people to lift heavy weights.

But when you are truly big, there are some unique challenges.

When I first started out, I was 125kg/275lbs. I couldn't bend over, with my elbows outside my knees, the bar close to my shins and reach the bar to start with.

Especially not with a smaller weight on the bar and it was even lower to the ground.

I couldn't dead-lift with good form, because my belly was in the way and my arms seemed too short.... and my boobs would be pushed up by my belly fat......

I've lost 25kg/54lbs and it still looks awkward:

8290693116_75f3a58f95_z.jpg

But now, it's possible.

When the weight is lower, it's OK to have the bar a bit further away from your shins if you can't reach the bar because of your belly. Or to have a more 'sumo' styled stance so your belly fits between your thighs.

Just make sure you adjust your form as your weight comes off and the weight on the bar gets heavier.

Just Bumping the Thread to Encourage ANYONE who is thinking about Lifting Weights!!
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You are a BAD *kitten*!
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    You are a BAD *kitten*!

On a related note, deads and squats are great for your *kitten*. *nod*
  • AmyJeanMarie84
    AmyJeanMarie84 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Epic!
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Epic!

This is an old thread bumped up, check out the newer thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/924179-fat-girl-squatting
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You are one strong lady. I can deadlift around 50kg, which is just over half of what you're doing in the picture. I'm just amazed at how you make it look so easy. You are quite an inspiration.
  • sarah_jones3
    Options
    Thats amazing, you should be really proud! :)
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    *bump* for inspiration

It's HARD to work around the belly, but I know it's totally worth it! Thanks for showing me that it does get easier!
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Awesome :)
  • JezziedotM
    JezziedotM Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    omg. There must be something wrong with me, I thought this was a thread about a fat girl that died lifting :laugh: Since that's me, I was concerned!

Oh my god, this cracked me up!!! I burst out laughing and startled my cockatiel, who was sitting on my shoulder!!!

Still causing me to giggle....