Not a fan of eating

Options

Replies

• extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    But you didn't ask for healthy snack ideas.

Actually, you didn't ask for anything, because you didn't use a single question mark...but I digress. You earned the asshattery, OP, with your "ohhhhhh, I'm a special snowflake who doesn't know how to eat..." If you wanted ideas, you shoud have asked.

Baby carrots and hummus is a good and healthy snack, btw.:flowerforyou:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad I put that much effort into a thoughtful reply. All the snarky people were the smart ones, I feel like a dumb*** now for trying to help.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Wow fellas feeling the love here tonight. ..

See this is why I left the site last time. ..

I asked a simple enough question, I have a thousand things to do at work at the moment and work 60 hours a week. .. so yeah a few suggestions on healthy simple snacks would have been nice; I'll look into the nutrisystem

The rest of you. .. Well. .. I hope you never come looking for help one day. .. May You reap what you sow.

These people are trying to HELP you. You need to seek help if you don't like/want to eat. That is not a healthy relationship with food.

Just because people are telling you something you don't want to hear, doesn't mean they are being mean. These people are actually being nice because they care enough to give you the truth.

Please seek professional help.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Most of the things I eat take very little effort and preparation. Go to the grocery store and look for joseph's bakery breads. One lavash is 100 calories and it's high protein and fiber but low carb and fat. It's a bread wrap thing and I just put lettuce, cucumber, and alfalfa sprouts in them and roll it up, but you ca put whatever you want in them. Whatever you would normally put in a sandwich. I made one with chocolate PB2 and sugar free strawberry preserves for a healthier version of a PB&J. For a good chip replacement, look for seasnax. It's seaweed cooked in olive oil and sea salt and there's a few different flavors. I like onion, but they have a plain one, chipotle, wasabi, maybe others, bit that's what I've seen. Apples, grapefruit, and berries are some good filling fruits. Cucumbers, green beans, and baby carrots are quick and tasty vegetables. Oatmeal is always an easy health food. Just buy it plain and dump some sweetener in it and add whatever you like. PB2 goes really well in oatmeal, especially if you add vanilla almond milk. These are just a few off the top of my head. Hope this helps.
  • myliberty
    Options
    I know what you mean. I cooked for years and food most of the time is just not that appealing. I often times have a hard time eating enough calories. I have the added issue now of a stomach disorder, so I have to eat 5 or 6 mini meals a day. I have added smoothies to my diet or Naked juices when I don't feel like eating. Maybe that will help.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I never really liked eating much before; it was always sort of a lame bodily function that just distracted me from projects and fun stuff.

Once I decided to get healthy and learn about food, I learned about all good things.

"Lean protein" like chicken, fish, turkey, etc, give you tons of vital protein that help build your muscles and keep you feeling full.

Fats provide fuel for your body to run over a longer period and you'll find them in dairy and other products. They give you energy and are important to the lubrication of your joints, slows the digestion of your food, and helps your body absorb and process fat-soluble vitamins. Even lean protein has some fat and other meats have more. Lots of fat to be found as well in oils like olive oil.

Then there are carbohydrates, the quick, go-to energy. Fat is a denser source of fuel but carbohydrates as well are important to proper function.

Eat vegetables - trace minerals and vitamins that you get from vegetables make you operate properly. You are designed to ingest them, they are important for you.

You can eat danishes all day but you'll be a sluggish, unhappy person.

Is anyone else wondering what a Danish person calls a danish?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I love eating.. In fact I loved it so much I gained up to 344 lbs before coming to my senses and taking control of this vital area... That being said, I think perhaps I can somewhat relate to you (I think maybe)>>> Now that I have taken control of eating I am more aware of what I do eat. Now, I don't crave the normal sweets I used to; I do eat sweets and love granolas and such... but to sit down and eat a candy bar or a cake... it is like eating a mouthful of nothing... Empty calories going in without any nutritional return. My body is no longer used to that most of the time.
  • the_seraphim
    Options
    ok maybe i should explain myself more.

firstly, yes i am 25... that means 7 years in kitchens, which anyone who has worked in kitchens will tell you is long enough.

secondly, i have IBS, caffeine intolerance, and am insulin resistant (genetic before you blame my diet)

this lot together means that preparing food reminds me of the chore, also if i am to make something, i tend to over do it, then not want it as im too hot/bothered.

secondly, the IBS means that eating can sometimes be incredibly painful and sometimes embarrasing for me as it doesnt seem to matter what i eat, everything seems to trigger the cramps and gas.

so you can understand why it is not exactly easy for me to think about eating, as it puts me off.

ill move onto my question.

what would you lot recommend, that i can make in batches, keep to hand, be easy to eat on the go and be nutritionally good for you?

i have gone out this morning and bought a load of meal replacement shakes to get me started but i want to move away from those and onto real food throughout the day, ive bought enough shakes to do 18 days (2 per day plus one healthy meal) ive cancelled pizza friday at work (well, no im not that mean, ive just changed to mornings on friday so i dont eat any) and i plan to bite the bullet and get my grossly overweight body into a swimming pool.

might have to watch out for japanese tourists though... i hear a harpoon can be quite difficult to remove.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Man, sorry to hear about the IBS - I can only imagine how difficult that is to live with and I believe you when you say it influences your eating habits. There have been a couple times in my life where I ended up getting so stressed that it wreaked havok on my stomach and digestion and there were some days where I would be too afraid to eat anything in public. D: (not as bad as IBS, but I understand)

Anyway, do you like nuts and dried fruit? Those are packed with nutrients and calories and you can get a lot of nutrition without having to fill yourself up.
    Vegetables and fruits like bananas, apples, carrots, and broccoli can all be easy - the latter of which if you just take a few minutes to divide them into portions/containers. Someone suggested hummus to dip your veggies in - very good idea! Hummus is tasty and you can find a wide variety of flavors in many super markets.
    I would also suggest hard boiled eggs - but I am not sure if those would upset your stomach
  • the_seraphim
    Options
    nuts and hard boiiled eggs...

ha, so simple even i cant screw that up! i should be ok having those, plus some MRs and a salad or something later on
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi

I totally empathise - when you've got stomach problems life is very different. I'm having tests for various things at the moment because I literally can't eat anything without running to the bathroom and being in excruciating pain. Type of pain where it brings you out in a sweat.

At the moment one of the things I do is to try to eat smaller amounts more frequently. It's difficult because at the moment it's not appearing to work - it just means I'm more symptomatic more frequently. However it might work for you? I can only eat small amounts at a time so that was my rationale. Flawed, but tried.

Batch-wise just today I cooked up a chicken and chickpea stew type thing which I put in small containers. Then I can just bang one in the microwave. Lunchtimes I tend to go for hardboiled egg, cucumber, tomato and avocado salad - sometimes with tuna in there. I've been told to stop gluten and dairy so I'm fumbling my way at the moment so maybe not the best person with this - but even a handful of almonds to nibble on is a nutritionally 'good' choice. When I hard boil eggs I do half a dozen at a time - that way I don't have to think about it for a few days.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

H
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It's not assholery to recommend taking responsibility for your own food choices. We have to learn that sometime. Candy-coating this truth generally isn't productive.

OP - plan your meals. Decide a whole week if you want. Plan your meals so you know what you are going to eat before you are hungry. Then the food is there, you don't have to make a last-minute distracted decision around food.
    She doesn't like to eat and yet you tell her to plan her meals. Comedy gold.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Not going to read through all the stupid and nasty responses. You need to do your own research and figure out how to tackle this in the healthy way. Eat lots of fruits and veggies for a start. If you really don't like eating then you are most likely not eating the right kind of food or you will lose weight really easily once you start eating the right food. It is just as easy to pick up a carrot or apple as it is to pick up a Danish. You need to do your own work too. No one can feed you this answer, no pun intended. Taking a step to be here is a good start though because you are admitting to yourself that you have a problem. Now go enjoy the process of taking control of your health.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ok maybe i should explain myself more.

firstly, yes i am 25... that means 7 years in kitchens, which anyone who has worked in kitchens will tell you is long enough.

secondly, i have IBS, caffeine intolerance, and am insulin resistant (genetic before you blame my diet)

what would you lot recommend, that i can make in batches, keep to hand, be easy to eat on the go and be nutritionally good for you?

Look into the low FODMAP diet for IBS. I have the opinion that it is NOT a good long term solution, but I have seen it used successfully to help re-introduce foods that do not create IBS. My friend went on it and after 30 days began re-introducing food. Some suprises for him - no lactose intolerance, sunflower oil and seed intolerance. He deals with this much better thanks to that.

See your doctor about IBS and dealing with it.

For those suggesting apples, etc - be aware that IBS can be triggered by certain foods and the first thing to do is identify thsoe foods. It can also be a mis-diagnosis...
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Thank you for explaining why you don't like to eat. I think the idea of trying out foods so that you know there are some safe ones sounds good. Fear of pain can put you off anything. Can you remember what you used to like to eat before all the difficulties? Could you try enjoying those again?

As for snacks, I'm another fan of nuts.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    On all im really not that keen on eating food. Of course I still get hungry I just end up eating rubbish because I don't actually like the thought of eating.

What kind of things should I eat.

If I don't have to look for things and just grab what I've been told to eat then I can do that.

After years of working in the kitchen my brain just turns off when it comes to feeding myself.

After looking around the kitchen and walkin fridge at work looking at all the things I could eat. .. I tend to simply grab a pre baled Danish from the breakfast trolley after a good half hour or in the evening just procrastinate so long I end up ordering pizza with the staff.

Seek professional help

this.

Edited to just remove myself from this thread. Good luck Op.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have worked in restaurants too, and found I couldn't eat the food at any restaurant I worked in. You just see it and smell it all the time, and it becomes unappetizing. Try breaking away from work and stepping out for your meals. As for food sensitivities, I'm not sure what triggers your IBS. I know I'm sensitive to corn, wheat, and diary. I keep things like fruit, nuts, and cliff bars on had for snacks.

The people saying seek professional help probably didn't get all the info on exactly what your issues eating are. However, consulting with a nutritionist would probably be really helpful.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    On all im really not that keen on eating food. Of course I still get hungry I just end up eating rubbish because I don't actually like the thought of eating.

What kind of things should I eat.

If I don't have to look for things and just grab what I've been told to eat then I can do that.

After years of working in the kitchen my brain just turns off when it comes to feeding myself.

After looking around the kitchen and walkin fridge at work looking at all the things I could eat. .. I tend to simply grab a pre baled Danish from the breakfast trolley after a good half hour or in the evening just procrastinate so long I end up ordering pizza with the staff.

Seek professional help

Agreed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I really can't relate, because I LOVE eating. But several options seem obvious to me.
    -- Meal replacement shakes. Not for every meal, but for at least one a day.
    -- homemade smoothies - just toss stuff in a blender and drink
    -- keep pre-cut vegetables on hand to eat raw with hummus or nut butter, or in a salad or wrap, or for a quick stir fry.
    -- Make "batch" foods such as stew, chili or soup which can quickly be heated for a meal.
    -- Roast/bake meat and keep on hand for a quick sandwich/wrap
    -- There are a number of healthy canned soups available.
    -- Preseasoned fish fillets or chicken breasts are avaiable that you can just toss in the over or microwave.
    -- preseasoned steam in the bag vegetables.
    -- Low sugar cereals (hot or cold) with pre-cut fruit and nuts
    -- eggs cook up in next to no time
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    The rest of you. .. Well. .. I hope you never come looking for help one day. .. May You reap what you sow.
    Don't stoop. Be better.

I did understand what you were saying in your OP. When I'm cooking and baking, sometimes I don't always feel like eating what I'm making. I get that. Keep some healthy snacks around so when you grab something it's not rubbish.