Why don't you bench?

Directed mostly towards girls but I can't seem to think of a time i saw a girl benching....without a trainer.

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    I bench without a trainer. I have my husband to spot me but only when I look as though I'm going to drop the weight on my head.

Perhaps you need to look a little harder because I always see girls benching.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Because of fitness marketing, women are less likely to lift properly
  • JustJennie1

I call bullsh*t on this.

I lift properly without a trainer. Women are capable of lifting properly without trainers by themselves.

I suppose that they should use little pink weights and wear super cute outfits while they work out too?
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    I do but only if I have someone with me that I know to spot me. I can't bench very much yet.
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    I bench every week. Generally with dumbells because I rarely ever have a spotter. I do it on the Smith occasionally. I am currently benching 45# dumbells.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    I was actually thinking more above the lines of "chest/shoulders and triceps muscle aren't a glamour muscle" ;). This is why women would rather work out their legs and *kitten*, which i see happening very often.
  • JustJennie1
    I was actually thinking more above the lines of "chest/shoulders and triceps muscle aren't a glamour muscle" ;). This is why women would rather work out their legs and *kitten*, which i see happening very often.

Again a misconception. I work every body part. I do love working my legs however as for chest/shoulders bi's and tri's not being a "glamor" muscle is kind of ridiculous. I work my arms because I love the way they look in short sleeves and sleeveless tops. I also love working my back and absolutely adore how muscular it is.

I lift heavy and I have muscles that I absolutely love.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    I work out on my own, so I use a machine to bench since I have no spotter. But bench and lat pull-down are my must-dos. And military press as my shoulders allow.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

I call bullsh*t on this.

I lift properly without a trainer. Women are capable of lifting properly without trainers by themselves.

I suppose that they should use little pink weights and wear super cute outfits while they work out too?

I think you are missing his point altogether. He's not saying women shouldn't. He's offering an explanation as to why many don't. I think more women are these days but there is still the whole "women should not do weight training" thing out there. Look at all the threads where women say they are intimidated by going into the free weight area. Or they'll get bulky. Additionally, look at all the marketing material for programs like Insantity or Body Pump. It's all aimed at women.

Good on you that you didn't let any of that stop you. There are still a lot of women who do let it stop them.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    I don't have a gym membership.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    i bench with dumbbells as well because my core sucks and i'm not stable enough. I also don't have a spotter or else I'd give it a go.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Women tend to be weak through the arms/shoulders/chest (compared to men the same size). For me, that means those are the things I make sure to hit when I work out. Apparently not all women think the same as I do.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member

I call bullsh*t on this.

First off, you're awesome for being a woman who lifts properly! But despite the fact that YOU lift properly, most women I see in the gym never leave the cardio area or mess with light weights presumably out of the fear of getting "bulky". Of course you are not alone in doing what you do as a female, but you are in the minority.

I see far more females on the squat rack than I do males though!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    No one has ever shown me how...and I don't have a spotter. Hoping to change this in the new year.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

I call bullsh*t on this.

You don't agree that more fitness marketing directed at women has more to do with cardio, yoga, and pilates rather than lifting?
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    I bench 75# without a trainer and 95# with - goal is to get me to higher weight without him -- my upper body is my weakest area BUT I do BP...and about 90% of the females on my list also lift heavy like that
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    I bench 75# without a trainer and 95# with - goal is to get me to higher weight without him -- my upper body is my weakest area BUT I do BP...and about 90% of the females on my list also lift heavy like that

Dangit, you're so killing me!

I'm up to 70# without a spot, can maybe push it to 80# with one. And I have no problem asking guys like YOU OP to spot me if needed.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member

Again a misconception. I work every body part. I do love working my legs however as for chest/shoulders bi's and tri's not being a "glamor" muscle is kind of ridiculous. I work my arms because I love the way they look in short sleeves and sleeveless tops. I also love working my back and absolutely adore how muscular it is.

I lift heavy and I have muscles that I absolutely love.

Women with defined backs are freaking hot. The same goes for well shaped arms and shoulders.

I'm 100% certain you don't need my approval for your motivation, but...you've got it anyhow lol.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    I'd love to bench....but don't have the means. I use dumbbells in place of a bar. But b/c I don't have means to a bar or plates....hard to guesss what'd i would actually bench.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Because I lift from home and I don't have anyone to spot for me!