What to tell your kids when you buy Christmas?

Options

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I wish you had posted earlier, I would have sent you something for your 8 year old.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Make them something. Get them to make each other something. One year I did baking and fudge for christmas presents for the extended family. Another year I did a large bowl filled with baking essential and herbs and spices. I made sure that my MIL got all sorts of nuts as she loves to bake but is on a fixed income.
    It's not about what you can buy, it's about what you can give. And you time is one of the most precious you can give a child. I wish you well for christmas.
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Maybe there's something you already have that you can give them? You didn't say if they were boys or girls, but if they're girls, maybe there's a necklace or a scarf or something that you have that they like and you can give it to them, saying you want them to think of how much you love them whenever they wear it. Maybe a favorite photo of you together you could frame in a little frame from the dollar store. One of my favorite gifts ever was my grandmother's button box she gave me when she got too old to sew anymore.

But you should probably talk to them before Christmas morning. You could even ask them what they would like to do. Explain that there's not much money for gifts this year, but you want to give them the gift of time and what would they like to do that day? Decorate cookies? Build a snowman? You could even talk about helping people who can't be with their families and make cards from construction paper for servicemen (you can send them to the Red Cross http://www.redcross.org/ca/los-angeles/ways-to-donate/individual-gifts/holiday-mail-for-heroes).

God bless you, and wishes for a better year!
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Make them something. Get them to make each other something. One year I did baking and fudge for christmas presents for the extended family. Another year I did a large bowl filled with baking essential and herbs and spices. I made sure that my MIL got all sorts of nuts as she loves to bake but is on a fixed income.
    It's not about what you can buy, it's about what you can give. And you time is one of the most precious you can give a child. I wish you well for christmas.

This reminds me of when we were kids and money was tight, my parents made owl and toadstool shaped candles and macrame hangers for everyone! Clearly, it was the 70's! I thought they were just cool because they were crafty and handmade (and I still make stuff!) but they were also inexpensive...
  • compumomma
    compumomma Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Toys for tots? You are the reason they exist. They can help you get something for the kids. My mother was a single parent with three kids who also had very little for holidays. Looking back I can see that the items that we did get were second hand. But what I remember most about those days are the traditions that we did. The happiness of the holiday was fighting with my sister to see who was going to make the dessert. Or waiting for my grandfather to show up to make sure Santa was no longer there. I remember the best present I got was this ugly green bike. It came from a junk yard and my grandfather helped fix it up but I rode that thing for hours on Christmas day and we are in PA so it was cold.

Christmas doesn't have to be expensive to be memorable. I would also explain to your kids the situation. The 14 year old will understand better than the 8 year old but you may be surprised what they say.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This happened to us one year when I was younger. My mum lost her job 2 months before Christmas and was fighting for unfair dismissal. We decided to make presents for each other from things we found in the house. I remember making my mum a notepad holder by sanding a small piece of wood for hours, tying the paper in with string and attaching a pencil I had also sanded off to match. My mum still has it. My sister embroidered me a book mark because I love books, I still have it.

We were told that Christmas would be late and we were each given a small amount of money to spend in the sales which we loved. It could have been sd but was actually a lovely Christmas.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    First of all, let me say how sorry I am that you are in this situation. It is not as unusual as people think. My daughter is in the same situation. She is a single mom of two boys and works hard, but doesn't make enough to made ends meet. If it weren't for me and my husband, the kids probably wouldn't have much of a Christmas. I spoke to her today and she was going shopping to spend her entire paycheck on gifts. No bills are getting paid this week, which means everything will pile up even further. I tried to talk her out of it, but she wouldn't hear of it. In a few weeks, I'm sure we'll get a phone call for money so something doesn't get turned off. She was on welfare for a few years and got many presents from different organizations, but now that she is working, she doesn't qualify. This is what is wrong with society. Hang in there. I hope that next year will be a better year for all.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    You do not have to be on public assistance to get help from the various agencies. There may be some that require that but it is definitely not all of them. We have one local agency that is helping all the way up to Christmas eve. You may try to ask around more in your community for what may be available.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This brought tears to my eyes. 2012 was a rough year for us as well, I was unemployed all year until a few weeks ago and,my husband was also unemployed for the first quarter of the year. Anyhow, I picked up a few things here and there on clearance toward the end of summer. Regardless, we've always only let my son ask Santa for 3 things and then he knows that mommy and daddy work hard so he can get more than that. So this year, he's 6 1/2 and a couple of months ago I let him know that there would just be less this year because mommy and daddy didn't work all year. I was shocked by how understanding he was with the situation. As far as your 8 year old goes, definitely try to get to Goodwill and get something. Do you have an Ollie's near you? For the 14 year old, maybe a promise of a special more grown up day.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are having a sad Christmas. It is always such a hard time of year. We want to do so much for our families, like so many people around us, but when all the money you have goes to pay bills it is depressing.

It is such a cliche, but love and comfort really is the most important. The gifts are a real treat and so much fun. However, the love from a caring Mom cannot be equaled.

Think of a special day's worth of activities. Can you volunteer somewhere? That brings a good feeling inside of ourselves. I like someone's earlier suggestion of writing letters to your children to open on Christmas day. They will treasure these forever. Watch $1.00 redbox movies all day and stay in your pajamas. That is sweet and cozy.

I know these suggestions pale in comparison to being able to buy presents for your kids. Life can be too challenging sometimes.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Also, if you do run out this weekend to grab a few things, think about what they'd really appreciate. My brother in law literally ordered a go kart for our son. My husband thinks our son will be so excited about it that even the Santa gifts will be lame to him. I disagree. I think he'll be happiest with the $3 package of printer paper I got him
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Sheesh, I am full of ideas all of a sudden. Order them magazine subscriptions, even when you order online you can usually select a "bill me later" option.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    Christmas shouldn't just be about commercial bull****. They can still enjoy spending a little festive time with their family, surely? Treat them to a little car ride around town to see all the pretty Christmas lights at night (which is quite fun when you're little). I know you'd love to be able to buy them gifts that they'd enjoy but sometimes that's just not possible. Just take the Christmas time to play games and have fun together and i'm sure they'll get over not getting more than one present. And do NOT let yourself feel guilty for it either.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Also, if you do run out this weekend to grab a few things, think about what they'd really appreciate. My brother in law literally ordered a go kart for our son. My husband thinks our son will be so excited about it that even the Santa gifts will be lame to him. I disagree. I think he'll be happiest with the $3 package of printer paper I got him

OMG my husband and I found boxes and boxes of the old printer paper in our attic and we gave them to my nephew. Best. Gift. Ever.

Hell I'm 38 and if my husband bought me a stack if pads and pens I'd be ridiculously happy.

OP: another idea that you could probably find in the dollar stores are crayons and coloring books or crayons and regular paper. I like the magazine idea too. A lot of people here have given you some pretty excellent ideas. I am sure it'll be a great Christmas for your children and the family.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions, I will probably go to the dollar store and get some arts and crafts things for the little one. The 14 year old will hopefully understand.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I hope you all have a safe and Happy Holiday!!!
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Also, in their stockings, you can wrap plenty of things like toothbrushes, toothpaste, pencils, fruit, etc - my parents did this all the time, plus wrap up any clothes you've bought for them that they haven't had yet, my kids always get socks, Pjs etc. for Christmas.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to freecycle? It's a yahoo group and you can give away things for free as well as receive them. You can post an "Item Wanted" on it, too. If there's something specific you are looking for, ask for it for your child. You can pay it forward next time. I have given a way a lot on the site (gently used, even some new things) and have also received things. It's not charity...but a way to avoid sending things to the landfill.

Also, craigslist has a free section and a barter and wanted section in its listings. I just looked at the Dallas/Fort Worth craigslist, and as an example there's a free basketball hoop in Plano. Someone else is offering free used toys.

Finally, if you can buy even candy and tissue paper along with some ribbon, I would wrap up candy and make it look festive. I used to take old mugs from the thrift store and fill them up with candy or treats around the holidays and put them in my husband or kids' stockings.
  • cloud2011
    Options
    o
  • cloud2011
    Options
    Merry Christmas...I forgot something else I used to do... make coupon books for your kids. Or a coupon jar. Decorate it and then write on little slips of papers, things you will do for them. For an 8 year old it can be reading an extra book at bedtime, or playing tag, or football, or something else. For the 14 year old it can be something else, but something that feels special to him.

You don't have to spend money to give a gift of time. It just takes a little creativity. You could do a 12 month supply, like one a month. In the summer it could be, run through a sprinkler. Or eat ice cream for breakfast. Your imagination is endless and your kids will find it fun.

I would visit flylady.net for ideas, or google frugal Christmas ideas.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have some good news, My ex-husband has offered me $100 to go and buy the kids something.

Thank you so much for your reply's and your wonderful ideas.

Going to get ready to drive over there and pick up the money.

Who would have thought my ex would help me with my new family. The 14 year old is his, but the 8 year old is not.

God works in mysterious ways!!!