What to tell your kids when you buy Christmas?

Options

Replies

• Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Model car for your 8 yr old son $6.44 @ Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/NASCAR-24-Drive-to-End-Hunger-Car-Building-Set/20452353

MP3 player for $10 @ Walmart for your 14 yr old son http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-Premium-Anodized-Aluminum-4GB-MP3-Player-with-Clip/21694925

that's stuff under $20 - now to get the $20 - have you ever donated plasma? You could probably get that amount for donating plasma for you and your husband. Or, you could always try and pawn something- just a couple of ideas. I don't know what your kids are interested in, but I'm a mom, and I try to budget for it- and have wiped out the Christmas Club money twice this year because of medical bills. I went to Walmart for their Black Friday/Thanksgiving Day sale and used what I had budgeted to purchase my boys their one gift they get from us- they get a new toothbrush and slippers and coloring book in their stocking, with a $1 "candy cane" shaped thing filled with M&Ms (knock off M&Ms but who cares).

I have now devoted $25 from each paycheck to go towards Christmas Club fund direct deposit, and have that account hidden in my online banking so I don't raid it as often as I did last year. I have to super budget for stuff, because my boys' birthdays are also right after Christmas -Jan 12, and Feb 11 so I bought their birthday gift at the Black Friday sale as well. I also try and find $5-$10 gifts for the birthday parties they attend - they have one in Feb around the same time as my youngest son- I try to budget for these and rock out those black friday sales, and have a "gift cupboard" hidden away- so that if I receive something I can re-gift (don't judge people please) and/or find something on clearance/sale I have something I can raid when I don't have cash to buy something.

My roommate did the plasma thing- so she did it for several weeks to be able to purchase her daughter's Christmas gift, and bought stuff at Michael's slowly - as in using the 40% off coupon in the paper each week and online coupons for the past few weeks to be able to have something for her. the key is, if you're on a super tight budget, it can be done, but now without planning.

I hope you find something that works for you - and I wish you a Merry Christmas!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have some good news, My ex-husband has offered me $100 to go and buy the kids something.

Thank you so much for your reply's and your wonderful ideas.

Going to get ready to drive over there and pick up the money.

Who would have thought my ex would help me with my new family. The 14 year old is his, but the 8 year old is not.

God works in mysterious ways!!!

That is very good news! Merry Christmas!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas to all of you!!!!!!!!
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Christmas isn't about the presents anyway. Focus on spending the day as a family. Play some games, color together, watch movies together. Make popcorn, anything really. Just makes sure they are the focus and make it a fantastic day! If it's warm like it is here, go to the park, or if you have snow, play in it!

If anything at all, maybe do a late Christmas? There isn't any harm in that either.
  • shrinkingsusie
    shrinkingsusie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend this book, Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. It really changed the way I think about money and how I use it.

Last year, I told one of my good friends about it. She homeschools 4 kids and her husband works for waste management, first as a trashman, and is working his way up. She doesn't call her family the "working poor" and she was just telling me how much better they were doing financially and how good it felt not to be struggling whenever something came up (i.e. Christmas). I think if she can do it with 4 kids, then most people can.

I'm not trying to put you down, it's just that we all need to start somewhere.

My mom couldn't afford much for us when we were kids either but the older I get the more I appreciate everything that she did for us.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have some good news, My ex-husband has offered me $100 to go and buy the kids something.

Who would have thought my ex would help me with my new family. The 14 year old is his, but the 8 year old is not.

That's awesome! Merry Christmas!
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I too have read the Dave Ramsey book - the Total Money Makeover.

he's got it on sale on his website for $10 right now.

http://www.daveramsey.com/store/prod326.html?ictid=hpg.pubtmm.c12
  • shellihooten
    Options
    Gay Lynn, my friend I am THRILLED your ex has offered such an amazing 'gift'!
    You can do SO MUCH good with that amount of money...
    Also, with so many things you can make for the boys, the coupon book is an awesome idea.
    Baking them something special and wrapping it...
    I am thrilled by ALL the awesome suggestions!

It's given me some great ideas.

Merry Christmas to YOU!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    What about doing some special baked goods or homemade goodies?
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    If your 14 yo is a girl borrow little women from the library. It shows the true meaning of christmas. Go to church too or help out charity; make christmas a bit different and a time they will remember.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Christmas isn't about presents. It's about spending time with family. Yes, presents are nice if you can afford them, but it should be about family, and your kids are old enough to understand this. I agree with the family activities suggestions that others have brought up, I think board games, a park day later, an extra special breakfast, are great ways to spend time with your family. I bet they will love being able just to spend time with you as a parent.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude but i wouldnt of let it happen.

That's a bit sanctimonious, don't you think? Also, if you're going to talk down to someone, at least use correct grammar. It's 'wouldn't have'.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Two thoughts

"Working class poor" - hmm. Do you have a mobile phone? Do you drink? Do you smoke? Subscription TV? Do you allow yourself luxuries that you don't need that could be paying for a small present for your children? It is hard to imagine someone who can't afford to save £20 over a year for a Christmas present if they have a minimum wage job... are you living your day to day life beyond your means? And have squandered instead of saving?

Otherwise, do something with your kids that they really will love. Take them to the park. Do a puzzle with them. Play an old board game. Memories are not made from money alone.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude but i wouldnt of let it happen. When we use to celebrate Christmas (we do Hanukkah now) there were many holidays we had no money due to unemployment and there ARE many resources for help. Toys 4 Tots, Food Pantries, Churches, Salvation Army, etc. One year they brought us a tree even!

Youre too late now for help (unless you get lucky posting on Craigslist) but id go to the Goodwill if you can get any money together and maybe buy an outfit or small toy.

agree with this. Don't be afraid to reach out. If you were in my area, I'd buy them gifts. I understand your situation, but reach out please.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent but this must be a terrible situation to be in. I'm really sorry.

I think the kids would understand. You can MAKE them something cool? Like a kaleidoscope or something which wouldn't cost more than a few bucks?

Good luck and lots of love from me
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

So happy to hear this. Didn't mean to be rude with my post. Just meant don't be afraid to reach out. I've been there and totally understand!! Merry Christmas
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Here is an idea. Do they own games? (Like Wii or the like.) Even a Ds?

Maybe you can sell/trade a few of the games at Game stop and get new games for them.

If they have a DSi or DSI XL I think you can trade that in for money. (Worth a try right?)

I wish I could help you because I would gladly donate money to you.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Its a Christmas Miracle!!! (And I don't even celebrate Christmas lol). This was very nice to read
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    For a couple years in my early teens i didnt get gifts for anything, or have holiday dinners. One christmas wheni was 13, i woke up and no one was home. I went to the park and sat their by myself all day and when i came home there was still no one there. I went to sleep only seeing a couple cars drive past me. After that i didnt care about gifts, i just never wanted to be that alone ever again. I dont care about gifts as long as i can be with the people i love. Im not sure what to tell you other than hug them tight and tell them you love them.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I remember after my dad walked out that my mom and I had to ask for assistance every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I remember my freshman year of high school, we were adopted by a family for Christmas and I was only allowed one gift. I asked for my varsity jacket because I didn't have a winter coat. (Mind you my mom was disabled and couldn't work, we were on food stamps and Medicaid, with very little child support that was about 200 every month and my mom's ssi was going towards bills which 600 wasn't enough and we lived in HUD housing).

Point being: reach out for help. I was 14 my freshmen year of high school and that coat was a blessing. I am sure your oldest will understand. At any rate, glad to hear the ex is helping.