new year GYM newbies argg get ready

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    :sad:

It's okay, we love you too! :flowerforyou: Plenty o love on teh MFP to go around.
  • a_certain_shade_of_green
    Options
    the OP has come across as a bit of a tool really hasnt he...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the OP has come across as a bit of a tool really hasnt he...

he has atoned

banish your judgmental thoughts

it is the day of baby jesus and all that
  • Maaarkk
    Maaarkk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    No cell phones would be a ridiculous idea. I record every exercise, weight & set on mine so I can go by them next time and improve.
  • durajim
    durajim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My gym has a no mobile phone policy (calls, that is) It's bliss.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    this is why i feel intimidated by gyms.better working out to a video and joining beginners' classes.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to some of them, actually. There are a couple of classes at my gym that are almost empty, and I don't want the gym to get rid of them, so here's hoping they are full of noobs the next couple of months!
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bring on the newbies!!!!! I could use another workout partner!!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't offend anyone but I totally agree. In the gym too. I don't want to seem arrogant or disrespectful but I get super annoyed when I have to wait for machines because all the noobies have decided to flock in. I have committed myself for the last 2 years going 6 days a week and screwing up my routine drives me bananas. Prove that you are committed then you'll earn my respect and I wont mind as much.
    For mfp, this whole thing of "support me, I need help, I need people to make me do this, I cant do it on my own" type things drive me up the wall too. Accountability people. No one is truly there when you make the decision to workout or not or eat those cookies. This is about YOU finding your own willpower. So, yeah, my friend additions will be pretty limited in the new year. It bothers me to put a bunch of my time and effort into someone who gives up so easily.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Prove that you are committed then you'll earn my respect and I wont mind as much.

Uhm, how do they prove they are committed without showing up? EDIT: I think you meant prove commitment by working out alone and friendless for a time before you will work with them.

Eh. I get it.
  • uk_ja
    uk_ja Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't offend anyone but I totally agree. In the gym too. I don't want to seem arrogant or disrespectful but I get super annoyed when I have to wait for machines because all the noobies have decided to flock in. I have committed myself for the last 2 years going 6 days a week and screwing up my routine drives me bananas. Prove that you are committed then you'll earn my respect and I wont mind as much.
    For mfp, this whole thing of "support me, I need help, I need people to make me do this, I cant do it on my own" type things drive me up the wall too. Accountability people. No one is truly there when you make the decision to workout or not or eat those cookies. This is about YOU finding your own willpower. So, yeah, my friend additions will be pretty limited in the new year. It bothers me to put a bunch of my time and effort into someone who gives up so easily.

I like your point of view and you made me think of this

560468_10101359437473882_1317506599_n.jpg
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    [
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options

I agree with you
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I know what you mean. When I started at the gym in February, a few of us got together to hold each other accountable. That way we would feel "guilty" if we let the other person down. By March my friend was only making it to the gym maybe once a week. I thought about not going when she couldn't go, but then I had a moment...I realized that if I let her dictate when *I* went to the gym, I was giving HER the power to keep me fat. I didn't WANT to be fat anymore. So I went no matter what. If she called me and asked if I was going on X day, I would ADD that day to my week. I lost weight, she did not.

Then this fall I had a friend who was in the mood to be my workout partner...but she also was sporadic. After maybe a month she told me that she felt she was needed elsewhere, so she couldn't work out with me anymore.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Prove that you are committed then you'll earn my respect and I wont mind as much.

you know...it is baby jesus day and I am wanting to be nice and non judgmental and all of that

but your kind of statement really makes me sad and angry and depressed and makes me wonder what would jesus do and I dont even believe in jesus but I believe in the message and I wish and I hope ...oh the agony

which reminds me of a song by the greatest rock band of all time...

"Hey hey, what can I do
    I got a woman, she won't be true
    Lord, hear what I say
    I got a woman, wanna ball all day"
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    How about trying to help someone who doesn't know how to use a machine or use proper form? Wouldn't that make you feel better than simply complaining about it? How do you think they feel? EMPATHY is the key word here!! :noway:
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes, its that time of year again, newbies (NYP- New Years resloution People) in the gym, looking a little lost and possibly intimidated. My New Year's Resolution, and has been for the past 3 years, to encourage any one of them continue and find enjoyment in the workout. If just 5% of the NYPers stick with their health commitment then my community is 5% healthier. And hopefully, they will pay it forward. I get much more annoyed at the self-centered, look-at-me regulars than I do the newbies. But I do understand the OPs rant. I don't really appreciate anyone hogging the weights, machines etc. I didn't get up at 5 am to watch you stand in the squat rack.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Maybe they wouldn't disappear if there was more acceptance. Instead of complaining about them, reach out and offer to help. There's nothing worse than attempting to change your outlook on working out and then getting the stink eye at the gym because you are new or not one of the "rats". I wouldn't me around for long either.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you do realize that the resolutioners help keep your gym prices low right? if there wasnt a huge influx of resolutioners joining current membership rates would more than likely increase. i've been to gyms like that and they get really expensive. maybe you're balling like that and can afford the increases you'd incur but i dont know many others who could.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    just remember.... we all started from somewhere. yes there will be new people. and yes you will have your NYR ( that New Year Resolutions). But thats how people get started ... and some people actually will stick with it... Give them a chance. Teach them something. Possibly smile and ask if they might need help, because believe it or not... that how i got started there. I knew absolutely nothing. brand spankin new. all it took was for someone to say... " hey if you need a hand let me know". thats all it took. and im hooked!!!
This discussion has been closed.