Not happy with Weight Goal

Options
1235»

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's hard to suggest what to do without more details. As you are at or near your ideal weight you may need to be careful about the kind of weight work you do. Heavy weights are not a panacea.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's hard to suggest what to do without more details. As you are at or near your ideal weight you may need to be careful about the kind of weight work you do. Heavy weights are not a panacea.

Barring medical issues to the contrary, I've yet to hear of a case where intelligent strength training was not beneficial.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Barring medical issues to the contrary, I've yet to hear of a case where intelligent strength training was not beneficial.

^this
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^this

^^yep. And not only in relation to body composition but in relation to other benefits such as bone density, which is of particular concern to women.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

h3F6119CD
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

will semi intelligent strength training do?

I'm feelin dumbed down by the endless water isnt really water debates
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Lift some heavy stuff!! Cardio...doesn't tighten the extra fluff...lifting tightens all the places that are hard to get rid of, seriously!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Lift some heavy stuff!! Cardio...doesn't tighten the extra fluff...lifting tightens all the places that are hard to get rid of, seriously!

I agree!
  • joconnor09
    Options
    Will I bulk up though? I don't mind having muscles, but I really don't want them to be seen If that makes since. Also, what about my tummy and thighs? Thanks for answering!
    Don't worry- unless you start lifting really heavy and going all out you won't bulk up. And if you're really concerned about it, go for lighter weights but more sets and reps- that will help you tone and lean out, and give you definition, but won't turn you into a body builder. And make sure you get plenty of protein, especially the day of, and the day after, lift days!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Admittedly, adding the word "intelligent" to my post was a last-second edit. Probably more accurate would have been to say "anything-but-stupid strength training".
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Well, technically that isn't exactly...*sigh*.

Yes, lift some heavy stuff. Regardless of what it does or does not do, it has remarkable benefits not only for weight loss but also all kinds of other benefits as well.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Admittedly, adding the word "intelligent" to my post was a last-second edit. Probably more accurate would have been to say "anything-but-stupid strength training".

bicep curls then? Im all over it...read a 5 page essay on the curls recently
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Will I bulk up though? I don't mind having muscles, but I really don't want them to be seen If that makes since. Also, what about my tummy and thighs? Thanks for answering!
    Don't worry- unless you start lifting really heavy and going all out you won't bulk up. And if you're really concerned about it, go for lighter weights but more sets and reps- that will help you tone and lean out, and give you definition, but won't turn you into a body builder. And make sure you get plenty of protein, especially the day of, and the day after, lift days!

no. this is wrong.

even lifting close to max, it'll take years of dedicated training and near perfect diet to achieve the results of what would be considered bulky.

tumblr_lpyw2pNhaZ1r0w4bgo1_500.jpg?1319478951
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yes, but they are only effective when done in the squat rack.

waitaminute, are bicep curls part of P90x???
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Don't worry- unless you start lifting really heavy and eating at a significant caloric excess with lots of protein and taking anabolic steroids[/i] you won't bulk up.
    ^Fixed that for you. She isn't going to build any significant muscle in a caloric deficit. Weight training will help preserve existing lean body mass as you lose fat, so you'll look slimmer and more defined (what some women refer to as "toned"), but lifting heavy won't pack slabs of muscle mass on a woman (who lacks the testosterone to build lots of muscle in the first place) in a caloric deficit (which means you lack the surplus nutrients the body needs to fuel muscle gains).
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Yes, but they are only effective when done in the squat rack.

waitaminute, are bicep curls part of P90x???

every master program such as the X (as those of us in the know call it), include the mass building bicep curl