skinny fat?

Options
So im about 111 lbs and 5'3 and 18
. I dont know my body fat percentage.
But i feel like i still have a lot of fat on my body.
I want to be more lean and toned.
I hike almost everyday burning usually 600 cals
And i do a little lifting with light weights.
Sometimes ill go to hot yoga also.
Im also eating pretty clean i think.. about 1300-1600 cals
A day.
I just need advice on what i am doing wrong.
I want to lose this fat.
Or maybe i just still see myself as having fat. Idk.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Lift heavy, more protein
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Based on your pictures, and not meaning to be rude or harsh, but if you think you have fat on you I would suggest you talk to someone professionally about your body image.

If you want to get more defined, lift heavy weights, preferably at a small caloric surplus - which will be a lot more than you are eating now.
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    I think u look great and if u put ur weight and stuff on here it will tell u how many calories and fat and so on that u need! Seems ur really active also. Sometimes we cant see what we really look like because our self esteem and mind tells us different than what we really are.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough. You're BF% is already low, you need to build muscle and you need to be eating a surplus with a lot of protein to do that. You should be eating your exercise calories back and then some.
  • spongekitty
    spongekitty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure how you have fat at that weight, you might be confusing skin for fat, but the best way to work any residual softness out is a lot less cardio type exercise and more strength training. Pilates is great for tightening your body, look up exercises that train the parts you're unsatisfied with and do like ~20 minutes a day of pilates. General stuff like ab crunches will help you too, but pilates gives you a better burn for your time.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So im about 111 lbs and 5'3 and 18
    . I dont know my body fat percentage.

stop there. and come back when you know exactly what your body fat is!

otherwise its maybe in your head honey...

in your pics your tummy looks pretty toned. If you want more lean muscle showing, youll have to eat moreprotein, lift heavy, do bulk/cuts, etc....you have a beautiful body though! :)
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    Thanks guys
    Im trying to up my calories slowly.
    Also i find it hard to lift heavier.
    How long do i need to lift a week?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Nah, your not skinny fat, just skinny. Like a few have mentioned, you need to eat and lift like a mofo if you want that body, or your describing someone with body dismorphia.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a total of 1300-1600 cals with at least 600 cals of exercise each day (so netting 700-1000 cals) you are not eating enough, and you're likely forcing your body in to catabolizing muscle to support your activity, which is counterproductive to getting lean and toned looking. Lean and toned looking requires muscle. You should be eating more, like, a good amount more. Swap out the light weights for some more serious strength training- heavy lifting or bodyweight as a minimum. The light weights are never going to get you the results you're looking for.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
    3x a week ~45mins of a full body routine would be plenty.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks guys

Look into Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5 x 5 - they are solid programs that lay everything out for you.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    looking at what you have your macros set to as well, you are 2 parts carbs to almost one part each of fat/protein. flip it.. Protein should be primary.
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    Are protein shakes good for incorporatig.more protein?
    And is it really how low of cals im eating that is affecting it?
    Im scared if i increase my cals... that ill gain a **** ton
    .idk lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    looking at what you have your macros set to as well, you are 2 parts carbs to almost one part each of fat/protein. flip it.. Protein should be primary.

Under what basis?

I do think she should up her protein - but 100g would be sufficient.
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    I love carbs so much tho:(
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    .idk lol

You need to increase your calories to build muscle. You increase your calories, you will probably get enough protein. If not supplement with whey.

I would suggest taking the benefit of 'newbie' gains by eating at maintenance and starting a good resistance training program like starting strength or stronglifts 5 x 5. After a while (say 3 - 4 months) you will need to eat at a surplus to gain more muscle mass so eat at about 250 -350 above maintenance. Using the time at maintenance will also be useful where you can work on form and get your muscles used to being used so that your muscle gains when eating at a surplus will be better as your lifting will be more effective for muscle growth. Don't forget however that lifting will increase the amount of calories you will need to maintain.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    OK, I think I understand what you are looking for; No, I don't think you are really fat... even skinny fat... I think what you are perceiving is a toning issue... Possibly. what you are perceiving as "fat" looks more like muscles that have not been fully toned. Looking at your data, you are not underweight.. but you are pretty close to that threshold with a BMI of 18.5-19.6 depending on whether you count it as 108 @ 5'4 or 111@5'3... I think you are in good shape to get what you are looking for but it will take a little restructuring and rethinking... First of all, I would recommend gaining a little weight... EAT MORE... Especially PROTEIN... (not a lot more.. just a little more)... Then LIFT HEAVY... Hit the gym and build your muscle tone. You have muscle there... and can even see it in some of your ab shots... It is just that you really need to define the muscle that you do have. If you were to gain up to maybe 120-125 @ your height but push the weights.. Then maybe you could back off to about 115-120 and reveal the muscle, I think you would have what you are looking for. I think you realize that weight loss is not what you need right now... I don't think you are ED or anything.. I think though that you are looking more for a fitness physique. I would suggest going to a good family based gym and get in with a personal trainer who can help you. It does appear too that you are small framed which means that being in the bottom part of your healthy BMI is a good thing.. However, if you want that physical body type, you will need to gain some weight in order to gain the muscle (muscle is denser and therefore will take up less space)... Hey, you have a great beginning here and I think you can really make this happen... Just get in there and lift heavy.. Best wishes and I look forward to hearing your success story.. You've got this girl!
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    Wow thankyou so much for all the info.. if there is anything else you think i should know.plz tell me and feel free to add me!:)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I love carbs so much tho:(

You can still have them - up your calories, more room for protein without eating into your carb cals.

1g per lb of LBM is generally recommended for protein while strength training (or assume 0.8g per lb of total body weight, which in your case, would be about 88g or protein).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    .idk lol
    Of course a protein shake is a good way to increase your intake of protein. And if you mean low cals can create a skinny fat scenario, yes it can, but your no skinny fat. Your next statement is very concerning to me and it's something that a professional could answer best imo because I'm sure your aware of how many actual extra calories over maintenance is required to gain weight, yet you believe any extra calories is going to make you fat......that kind of thinking is not healthy.