What happened to the Bicep curl???

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights since April. My goal in 2012 was to remove as much fat as possible, which I think I've succeeded at. I lift to break up the boredom at the gym. I do standing curls with dumbbells , and reverse grip curls with the barbell. I love the reverse grip curl...it gives a nice bicep workout.

I've noticed this time of year that there are a lot of larger ladies deadlifting and doing squats. I think they mistakenly believe these exercises are the key to fat loss...I'm not sure where this myth was started, but I can't just be MFP.

And bicep curls are better? Compound lifts are the most effective strength training exercise for maintaining LBM while trying to lose weight. They have a much better metabolic impact.

To both Cris and Sara, I love and respect you both, but I just don't get the Iso and Curl Bashing that persists here. Every word of what you guys are saying is true, but not ALL exercises have to be done for metabolic impact, do they? And what if I'm not trying to "maintain mass while losing weight"? What if someone is just trying to actually gain mass? Why is old fashioned hypertrophy frowned upon?

To answer Cris' question, the curling action works the curlin' muscles. Whatever the peer reviewed studies might say, if you do direct, isolated bicep work, your arms gonna get big. Whether we think bigger arms are something to strive for or not, we can at least agree that doing curls will make them bigger, can't we?

When exactly did I bash it? Please point me to where I did.

I explained why I did not do them (because MY goals are achieved more effectively with what I currently do) and I also pointed out why, the guy that wondered why, 'larger ladies' did squats and deadlifts.

OK, bash is too loaded a word. How about, "strongly recommend against"? Would that be fair? You are one of the most fit people on the site and have an incredibly large following (deservedly so) so even if you saying something like "it doesn't align with my goals" it carries a lot of weight and lands as powerfully as if you said "Don't anyone do these, ever".

Also, to be fair, I AM unfairly directing question towards you and Cris even though neither of you may be guilty of what I'm accusing. But I really want your takes on it precisely because I do respect your opinions and find your arguments both intelligent and well reasoned. It would do no one on this site any good if I attempted to debate one of the many knuckleheads around this piece

No, I do not think it is fair. How did you get 'strongly recommend against' from my post? I explained exactly why it did not align with my goals - that is all. I also think you give me far too much credit to people dissecting my words and following them. And even if they did - would just saying 'I don't do them' be better, I do not think so.

Or, do you want me not to answer or lie now?

ETA: to be clearer - I have big biceps already, from my perspective and for my personal tastes, and I want to limit them getting bigger so I to not do iso work on them specifically. I already get some hypertrophy work when I do my other lifts - which incidentally, some of which ARE iso but none of which I do specifically for hypertrophy. In addition, my time at the gym is limited and my goals are strength goals and to improve my power and oly lifts so I have to use my time wisely for my goals - doing bicep curls is not an efficient use of my time, especially as I do not want to do hypertrophy work on them. Better?
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    ^LOL Sarauk you could have just said your goals are different.. Now after that long edit I am just going to have to wait until the cliffs notes are available.. haha :bigsmile:

BTW Merry Christmas.. or Happy Holiday what ever you prefer :smile:

Edit: and oh yeah I am glad you have an innie belly button for that pic :tongue:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

No, I do not think it is fair. How did you get 'strongly recommend against' from my post? I explained exactly why it did not align with my goals - that is all. I also think you give me far too much credit to people dissecting my words and following them. And even if they did - would just saying 'I don't do them' be better, I do not think so.

ETA: to be clearer - I have big biceps already, from my perspective and for my personal tastes, and I want to limit them getting bigger so I to not do iso work on them specifically. I already get some hypertrophy work when I do my other lifts - which incidentally, some of which ARE iso but none of which I do specifically for hypertrophy. In addition, my time at the gym is limited and my goals are strength goals and to improve my power and oly lifts so I have to use my time wisely for my goals - doing bicep curls is not an efficient use of my time, especially as I do not want to do hypertrophy work on them. Better?

OP question: How much do y'all curl?
    Your response: I don't curl because I only do compound exercises and find iso work both inefficient and unneeded.

When I spot a new HRM thread, they usually go like this:

OP question: HRM or fitbit?
    My response: Neither, because calorie counting devices are a waste of both time and money.

Would you say that I am bashing the HRMs or that I am honestly answering a question while trying to help the OP and anyone else willing to listen?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ^LOL Sarauk you could have just said your goals are different.. Now after that long edit I am just going to have to wait until the cliffs notes are available.. haha :bigsmile:

BTW Merry Christmas.. or Happy Holiday what ever you prefer :smile:

Edit: and oh yeah I am glad you have an innie belly button for that pic :tongue:

I did - in my first post but apparently that was not appropriate and I got slammed for it, so you got the novella version :tongue:

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you :flowerforyou:
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    50lb
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Your response: I don't curl because I only do compound exercises and find iso work both inefficient and unneeded.

My response: Neither, because calorie counting devices are a waste of both time and money.

Would you say that I am bashing the HRMs or that I am honestly answering a question while trying to help the OP and anyone else willing to listen?

Title of the thread was "What happened to the Bicep Curl?"
    People replied why they don't do them.
    What exactly is the problem?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Please do not misquote me or take what I said out of context.

I said:
    I don't do them. I do compounds plus assists. As I am not looking for hypertrophy in my biceps (I get enough with my other lifts) and I do not need to do iso bicep work for my main compound lifts so there is no need for me to do them. I do chins and pull ups (not as often as I should though).
  • DavPul
    Options

Title of the thread was "What happened to the Bicep Curl?"
    People replied why they don't do them.
    What exactly is the problem?

except this was the actual post
    I always see people post there 1RM for Squats, Dead lifts, and Bench press. But what is everyone curling with a straight bar? I don't want to know a 1RM I mean what are you curling for at least 6 reps???? ( without swinging your back and looking like a a**hole!)

but you know what. there is no problem. nay, there is a problem, and the problem is me. my bad. sorry for the dustup. carry on
  • DavPul
    Options

I said:
    I don't do them. I do compounds plus assists. As I am not looking for hypertrophy in my biceps (I get enough with my other lifts) and I do not need to do iso bicep work for my main compound lifts so there is no need for me to do them. I do chins and pull ups (not as often as I should though).

I didn't put it in quotes or in any way try to say this is EXACTLY what anyone said. The "quotes" i used for my HRM comments aren't actual quotes either. I apologize to you and anyone else in the world that thought I was actually quoting you or anyone else in the world.

i was tying to capture the general feel of the statement you made, but obviously I was way off
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I only curl my hair.

Seriously, I don't really do isolation exercises unless there's a specific reason. They don't fit with my goals right now. I have a feeling you weren't really talking to lady lifters, though, lol.

This, except I don't even curl my hair. :P

I haven't curled in years, so I couldn't tell you. My biceps are big enough as they are (you can see in my pics), and I finally met my goal yesterday of a chin-up. As a 175lb obese female.

Every word of what you guys are saying is true, but not ALL exercises have to be done for metabolic impact, do they? And what if I'm not trying to "maintain mass while losing weight"? What if someone is just trying to actually gain mass? Why is old fashioned hypertrophy frowned upon?

No, not exercise has to be done for metabolic impact, but I think the majority of us are here to achieve fat loss, not just gain muscle mass and get bigger biceps. Maybe, then, the original question would be better suited for bodybuilding.com, not a fitness and weight-loss website?
  • DavPul
    Options
    [
    No, not exercise has to be done for metabolic impact, but I think the majority of us are here to achieve fat loss, not just gain muscle mass and get bigger biceps. Maybe, then, the original question would be better suited for bodybuilding.com, not a fitness and weight-loss website?

possibly, but i thought we could all get along here. people that wish to lose fat are certainly welcome to ask question on bodybuilding.com.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I said:

I didn't put it in quotes or in any way try to say this is EXACTLY what anyone said. The "quotes" i used for my HRM comments aren't actual quotes either. I apologize to you and anyone else in the world that thought I was actually quoting you or anyone else in the world.

i was tying to capture the general feel of the statement you made, but obviously I was way off

Fair enough - my post was 'quoted' in the 'attached above' sense so it could very easily be interpreted as referring to my posts, especially when the words 'your response' are used rather than a general "Joe Blow's response". Also, as my post was attached, it is reasonable to assume that you were asking the question, in the last line of you post, of me.

Anyhoo, I just had a bowl of ice-cream so I am all good now. :tongue:

ETA: is it Joe Blow or Joe Blo?
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    currently I do upper / lower body splits so i finish upper workouts with a bro curl & bro extension superset to do my arm work. 8 x 105 on the ez curl.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I wasn't, but now I know I must.

...use the word "Bro" that is.

Bicep curls I do not do because it pinches a nerve I have to do them. I feel pull ups and other exercises get that muscle enough for me.

...bro.
  • DavPul
    Options

I said:

Fair enough - my post was 'quoted' in the 'attached above' sense so it could very easily be interpreted as referring to my posts, especially when the words 'your response' are used rather than a general "Joe Blow's response". Also, as my post was attached, it is reasonable to assume that you were asking the question, in the last line of you post, of me.

Anyhoo, I just had a bowl of ice-cream so I am all good now. :tongue:

ETA: is it Joe Blow or Joe Blo?

I'm sorry, you used the word "blow" and I blacked out. What was the question again?
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I wasn't, but now I know I must.

...use the word "Bro" that is.

Bicep curls I do not do because it pinches a nerve I have to do them. I feel pull ups and other exercises get that muscle enough for me.

...bro.

So glad you shared this great information with me BRUH!
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    Well, squat, deadlift and bench are the big 3. Curling isn't that popular anymore, especially with people trying to separate themselves from the 'curlbros.'

That said, I have no idea. I've never tried to curl more than 60lbs.

I work separate muscles 5 days a week, and have seen big gains this way so is something I keep track of. I always see people flexing there biceps , not there legs , back, and chest, so why not post what you are curling since everyone I know does some type of curls at the gym ;-) Do we not want big arms?

It's called compound movements, bro.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Well, squat, deadlift and bench are the big 3. Curling isn't that popular anymore, especially with people trying to separate themselves from the 'curlbros.'

That said, I have no idea. I've never tried to curl more than 60lbs.

I work separate muscles 5 days a week, and have seen big gains this way so is something I keep track of. I always see people flexing there biceps , not there legs , back, and chest, so why not post what you are curling since everyone I know does some type of curls at the gym ;-) Do we not want big arms?

It's called compound movements, bro.

WHY THANKS BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A COMPOUND LIFT WAS ;-)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I love threads that just go bat sh** crazy for no obvious reason - very entertaining! Love you guys - Merry Christmas and pour the egg nog!

I do some curls, but they're at the very end of my back and bis day, so I'm lucky to do 100 for 6 on a bar by the time it start. I end up mostly doing dumbbell curls and dumbbell hammer curls though. My arms are stubborn so they need the iso.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Correct! Pronation and supination...basically twisting your wrist lol. Very little of the force your biceps exerts is used for curling...and if you force more than its designed for...you'll rip it right off your forearm.

I know this because I curled a 400lb motorcycle and blew my right lower biceps tendon. No fun :).

Anyhow I just want to clarify...I'm not bashing curls, I just don't do them. My pro-compound lift commentary was more in response to those implying the only way to get big biceps is to curl :).

Merry Christmas!