What happened to the Bicep curl???

Replies

• diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    For biceps curls I do 27kg in each arm for about 10 reps and can about 3 sets before I am doing lower than 8 repish.
  • bicep curls are a waste of time

please do tell why

because the dude who invented SL 5x5 told him so....and he drank the Kool-aid. :wink:

Sighhhh...I love this thread!! Absurdity is sooo entertaining! :bigsmile:
  • I always see people post there 1RM for Squats, Dead lifts, and Bench press. But what is everyone curling with a straight bar? I don't want to know a 1RM I mean what are you curling for at least 6 reps???? ( without swinging your back and looking like a a**hole!)

I do bicep curls
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    bicep curls are a waste of time

please do tell why

because the dude who invented SL 5x5 told him so....and he drank the Kool-aid. :wink:

Sighhhh...I love this thread!! Absurdity is sooo entertaining! :bigsmile:

XD if im not doing 100% compound lifts I must be doing something wrong ,,, all of my gains are fake! i have pics to prove how fake they are hehehe
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    I am confused though. Aside from personal preferences, can isolation such as curls be as effective as compound? My comfort zone has always been isolation and I don't know too many compound moves.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    I am confused though. Aside from personal preferences, can isolation such as curls be as effective as compound? My comfort zone has always been isolation and I don't know too many compound moves.
    Depends on your goals really, and how much time you can/want to put in. Compound exercises work mutliple muscle groups at a time so are generally a better investment of time. If you have time to do isolation work as well, there's nothing inherently wrong with it.
  • I am confused though. Aside from personal preferences, can isolation such as curls be as effective as compound? My comfort zone has always been isolation and I don't know too many compound moves.

NO ONE here is arguing against compound moves--those should be the basis of any lifting program. Some of us just prefer to do a mixture of compound and isolation moves, while others snub anything that is not a compound lift....whatevs...it's their body, so they can do what they please I s'pose.

Pooor OP, he was just looking for some numbers, and ended up with all this nonsense instead. Ah well, I'm sitting here with a sick kid in my lap, so this is halfway decent entertainment for me.

*edited because I just realized I use those effing emoticons way too much.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Pooor OP, he was just looking for some numbers, and ended up with all this nonsense instead.

I suspect he has enjoyed the chaos just like so many of the rest of us have. Very enlightening glimpse into the inner-psyche of "serious" lifters.

(edit: because the bold was unnecessary when I trimmed the rest of the message.)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I have time for the compounds, and biceps get worked on 2 different lifts that way 3 x weekly.

So while they have gained a 5/8" in a month of lifting focus in general, nothing specific for them.

I'll have to see where the curl strength is now. But at the end of a workout where I'd put it, probably not much since I'm spent already.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member

NO ONE here is arguing against compound moves--those should be the basis of any lifting program. Some of us just prefer to do a mixture of compound and isolation moves, while others snub anything that is not a compound lift....whatevs...it's their body, so they can do what they please I s'pose.

Pooor OP, he was just looking for some numbers, and ended up with all this nonsense instead. Ah well, I'm sitting here with a sick kid in my lap, so this is halfway decent entertainment for me.

*edited because I just realized I use those effing emoticons way too much.

Well i know very few compounds, so what would be some good ones to incorporate into my routine? I currently do upper/lower body isolation 4 days a week with 1 day of cardio.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Well i know very few compounds, so what would be some good ones to incorporate into my routine? I currently do upper/lower body isolation 4 days a week with 1 day of cardio.

Deadlift
    Squat
    Bent-over row
    Bench press
    Shoulder press
    Upright row
    Pullups
    Dips

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

How to incorporate depends on how much time you have and frequency, and equipment.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html
  • BackTatJIM
    Depends on your goals really, and how much time you can/want to put in. Compound exercises work mutliple muscle groups at a time so are generally a better investment of time. If you have time to do isolation work as well, there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

Thanks for this!!! Way to many haters because I do some isolation lifts ALONG with my compound lifts. What can I say I love being at the gym and make time to do both.

• I'm sorry to have to be the one to break the news to you fellas :cry: But hey, look on the bright side...nerds have nice biceps :laugh:

You know you're a nerd when people are always mistaking you for a guy when you're actually a chick with a great avatar (and biceps :) )

HOLY CRAPSNACKS! I just saw this....I THINK that was meant as a compliment, but I still had to change my avatar...would you mistake me for a guy now? lol ;p
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member

HOLY CRAPSNACKS! I just saw this....I THINK that was meant as a compliment, but I still had to change my avatar...would you mistake me for a guy now? lol...holy geeeezzzz...

LOL-I was actually referring to my avatar. Between it and my user name I'm always being mistaken as a guy.

You look GREAT BTW. Strong is the new sexy! Even if you use curls (like me) to get strong! :D
  • BackTatJIM

I'm sorry to have to be the one to break the news to you fellas :cry: But hey, look on the bright side...nerds have nice biceps :laugh:

You know you're a nerd when people are always mistaking you for a guy when you're actually a chick with a great avatar (and biceps :) )

HOLY CRAPSNACKS! I just saw this....I THINK that was meant as a compliment, but I still had to change my avatar...would you mistake me for a guy now? lol ;p

O.O gonna stare at you for awhile if you don't mind!

• HOLY CRAPSNACKS! I just saw this....I THINK that was meant as a compliment, but I still had to change my avatar...would you mistake me for a guy now? lol...holy geeeezzzz...

LOL-I wasactually referring to my avatar. Between it and my user name I'm always being mistaken as a guy.

You look GREAT BTW. Strong is the new sexy! Even if use curls (like me) to get strong! :D

LOLOLOL!! That's a relief!!! sighhh..ok, i can go back to my mannish pics with no fear...rock on my friend. :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

I'm sorry to have to be the one to break the news to you fellas :cry: But hey, look on the bright side...nerds have nice biceps :laugh:

O.O gonna stare at you for awhile if you don't mind!

Yeah, ^this. I may or may not have photo-creeped. =P

Looking strong...and in no way like a guy.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I'm a pretty avid fan of Nrol for functional strength and found the sl made me stronger at only doing those specific lifts. That said, I also teach body pump so this skews what I can do individually without quitting my hobby job. Recently I've been enjoying lifting ml with my hubs and what I've figured out is that I can pull up pretty well but can't curl for *kitten*, so I'm going to start workin on that. I love arms.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Without looking like an a** hole up to 40... looking like an a** hole, 65.

***Edit*** this is dumbbell curls...
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    My 10-10-10s are at 30 lbs. 10 reps of halfway up, 10 halfway down, and 10 full
    I rarely do high weight for a ez curl or cambered bar, but my bicep curls are 25-30 for 7 on a dumbbell. So I would assume it would be around 50-60 max for a low rep high weight straight bar.