What happened to the Bicep curl???

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    10/10/10 at 40. Working into 45 with a half set of struggle at that weight. lol.

Is it just me, or did you get waaaay more females actually answer your original question than males?

I used to know a guy who ONLY did curls. Like he had zero tricep or any other muscle for that matter. he looked like Popeye. In a bad, funny way.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    bicep curls are a waste of time

lolz - and I get slammed for saying I do not do them and explaining why.....

For those making comments about people who do not do them (or just do compounds):

1. just because you do not do bicep curls does not mean that you do not do other iso lifts
    2. ^^this is the only post I have seen that actually slams them.
    3. many people's goals are strength and not hypertrophy and/or their time is limited in the gym in any event.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    i never do bicep curls but i can do 12 reps with 24kg dumbels perfect form

either everything you wrote before the word "but" is a lie or everything you wrote after is
  • DavPul
    bicep curls are a waste of time

please do tell why

because the dude who invented SL 5x5 told him so....and he drank the Kool-aid. :wink:

Sighhhh...I love this thread!! Absurdity is sooo entertaining! :bigsmile:

I thought it was the guy who wrote NROL. He hates on the biceps too. Lots of Kool aid to go around.

My favorite responses in this thread have been the "working biceps is only good for aesthetics" variety. Soooooo, no one on this site developed for weight loss is into aesthetics? Got it, thanks.
  • DavPul
    Pooor OP, he was just looking for some numbers, and ended up with all this nonsense instead.

I suspect he has enjoyed the chaos just like so many of the rest of us have. Very enlightening glimpse into the inner-psyche of "serious" lifters.

(edit: because the bold was unnecessary when I trimmed the rest of the message.)

She's new here Jof. She'll see how things work around the MFP boards soon enough. I bet she hasn't seen her first "Does X Count as Water?" thread yet.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    just man up and do P90X
  • DavPul
    just man up and do P90X

LOL! First rounds on me, my friend :drinker:
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Depends on your goals really, and how much time you can/want to put in. Compound exercises work mutliple muscle groups at a time so are generally a better investment of time. If you have time to do isolation work as well, there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

This is the part I'd go with.

I do some isolation biceps curls, but I do them with dumbbells. Four sets of eight reps starting with 40lb 'bells and decreasing to 25s. As far as a straight bar, I think the one time I tried that, my six rep was around 60lbs, but I try to avoid barbell curls because they, for some reason, absolutely aggravate my outer forearm nerves.
  • 6 sets of 6 reps of 35lbs on isolation curls with bells
    3 sets of 21s with 70lb curved barbell
    3 sets of 8 of pull ups with 50lb weight vest

by the end of this my arms are basically jello
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Well i know very few compounds, so what would be some good ones to incorporate into my routine? I currently do upper/lower body isolation 4 days a week with 1 day of cardio.

Deadlift
    Squat
    Bent-over row
    Bench press
    Shoulder press
    Upright row
    Pullups
    Dips

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

How to incorporate depends on how much time you have and frequency, and equipment.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html

THANK YOU!

• She's new here Jof. She'll see how things work around the MFP boards soon enough. I bet she hasn't seen her first "Does X Count as Water?" thread yet.

Oh I'm not new hon...in fact, I've been here so long I'm about burnt out on this place. lol. This is just a new profile. Insanity like this thread keeps me coming back for more. <kisses my girly biceps and flashes you all the peace sign> ....oh man am I glad it's arm day today!! This discussion makes me wanna CURL. :smokin:
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Just did 3 sets of three different bicep curls!! Hehehe. It followed my back workout, so the weight was not where I would like for my ego's sake, but it was great nonetheless!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

She's new here Jof. She'll see how things work around the MFP boards soon enough. I bet she hasn't seen her first "Does X Count as Water?" thread yet.

Oh I'm not new hon...in fact, I've been here so long I'm about burnt out on this place. lol. This is just a new profile. Insanity like this thread keeps me coming back for more. <kisses my girly biceps and flashes you all the peace sign> ....oh man am I glad it's arm day today!! This discussion makes me wanna CURL. :smokin:

In the squat rack? :bigsmile:

• She's new here Jof. She'll see how things work around the MFP boards soon enough. I bet she hasn't seen her first "Does X Count as Water?" thread yet.

Whatever gets the f*cking job done... and btw, this "curling in the squat rack" joke is so old my 5-year old has been telling it...get some new material. :drinker:

• In the squat rack? :bigsmile:

Never curled in the SR...never even seen anyone do it, honestly, but maybe it's fun? If I felt like it, I'd do it and not give a rat's *kitten* whether or not you or Acg67 or Sidesteel or anyone else thought it was cool. In fact, I'd probably really enjoy the fact that it annoys you so much. =D I go to the gym to WORK, not to gain the approval of boys. I already have the approval of the only one I care about.

But thanks for asking!! It was a very original and thought-provoking question. Pat yourself on the back. :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    just man up and do P90X

lol.

you used "man" and p90x in the same sentence.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member

Never curled in the SR...never even seen anyone do it, honestly, but maybe it's fun? If I felt like it, I'd do it and not give a rat's *kitten* whether or not you or Acg67 or Sidesteel or anyone else thought it was cool. In fact, I'd probably really enjoy the fact that it annoys you so much. =D I go to the gym to WORK, not to gain the approval of boys. I already have the approval of the only one I care about.

But thanks for asking!! It was a very original and thought-provoking question. Pat yourself on the back. :)

it's just that, you know... you need the squat rack to squat, but don't need the squat rack to curl. so if you're taking up the rack doing curls while people are waiting to squat, that's as big of a foul as the person standing on a treadmill texting their bff while people are waiting to run. because, as you said, people are there to WORK, not to misuse equipment while people are waiting to use it correctly.

that's why "curling in the squat rack" is a "thing". and it's still funny.

and also where this response meme came from 304403_438943142814022_648551305_n1.jpg
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Annoys me? lol Not at all! And thanks for calling me a boy. It's been years since I've been called that. Just spreading the love!!

• In the squat rack? :bigsmile:

Annoys me? lol Not at all! And thanks for calling me a boy. It's been years since I've been called that. Just spreading the love!!

haha--me too, spreading the love far and wide!! =D And honestly, I prefer to use the squat rack for the really important things, like adjusting my lipstick and filing my nails... :wink:

• it's just that, you know... you need the squat rack to squat, but don't need the squat rack to curl. so if you're taking up the rack doing curls while people are waiting to squat, that's as big of a foul as the person standing on a treadmill texting their bff while people are waiting to run. because, as you said, people are there to WORK, not to misuse equipment while people are waiting to use it correctly.

that's why "curling in the squat rack" is a "thing". and it's still funny.

Hey, if you still think it's funny, that's cool. It just sorta got old to me after about the 857th time I heard it/saw it on here, but to each their own humor. I'd just like to know if anyone has actually ever SEEN anyone curling in the squat rack? I asked my husband about this...he was a competitive bodybuilder for 10 years, and has lifted for 28 years, and he said he's seen it maybe a handful of times in all that time.

For the record, I was just joking dude. I'm a girl and I curl a measly 60 lbs...why the hell would I need a squat rack for that? lol