Sugar addiction and starting over...

Options
13»

Replies

• ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Zd, my cravings decreased a great deal when I cut out junk and followed the paleo lifestyle. I have cheated a bit which has derailed me. It is time to get back on track!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Another addictive personality here. I find I'm fine when I'm logging and eating really well with very little sugar or white flour but as soon as I stop I get right into going overboard on it like now when I'm on vacation. I know I can achieve anything because I've already done what I thought was impossible so sugar is the last thing on my list that is going to be sorted out when I get home next week. Any of you are free to add me if you want to. Good luck!
  • r0ckclimbingm0m
    Options
    I've been reading through the posts, and I think, though I don't want to admit this, that I'm just going to have to quit cold turkey and get the sweets out of my diet. Once I have one bite, it's all downhill from there. Tonight I started by declining the pumpkin pie I was offered at a family dinner (that was tough!). But it paid off; I came home, worked out, and I'm having my nightly cup of hot tea and not wanting anything else. :-) Hopefully I can do it this time. And again, thanks for the support! Looks like I've got a good group here on MFP.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've been reading through the posts, and I think, though I don't want to admit this, that I'm just going to have to quit cold turkey and get the sweets out of my diet. Once I have one bite, it's all downhill from there. Tonight I started by declining the pumpkin pie I was offered at a family dinner (that was tough!). But it paid off; I came home, worked out, and I'm having my nightly cup of hot tea and not wanting anything else. :-) Hopefully I can do it this time. And again, thanks for the support! Looks like I've got a good group here on MFP.

Way to go!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The good news is that for most ppl the level at which you crave sugar is somewhat tied to your current intake of sugar. In other words, if you drastically lower or cut out sugar altogether once you get thru the "annoying period" (for me this is 2 weeks) your body will adjust and you won't crave them as much. You'll still have random cravings for sweets if that's your fancy but the constant desire should subside and instead turn into the need for an occasional indulgence or cheat meal to keep you on track.

This exactly! I have (well, had) a VERY big sweet tooth. Chocolate was most certainly my downfall. I ended up switching up my diet to a high protein diet (I somewhat follow the Atkins diet.) I felt TERRIBLE for one week, but now feel fantastic. I have no cravings for anything with tons of carbs or sugar in it at all.

I even turned down cakes, cookies and tons of delicious smelling breads on Christmas (and that' s a big thing for me, because I used to love bread and chocolate lol.)
  • r0ckclimbingm0m
    Options

I even turned down cakes, cookies and tons of delicious smelling breads on Christmas (and that' s a big thing for me, because I used to love bread and chocolate lol.)

Impressive!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I also love sugar. I was so badly addicted that I went cold turkey on it for three weeks because I was literally eating candy for lunch. It was horrible for the first few days, but can be done!
  • ellarainbow
    Options
    Hello,

I've just joined because I also have issues with sugar (eating chocolate for lunch sounds far too familiar). If anyone else here wants to add me feel free. :)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

Feel free to add me if you're trying to cut back on sugar also!

~
  • PamPeekeMD
    Options
    There ARE withdrawal symptoms from addiction to hyperpalatable foods, including headache, diarrhea, anxiety, the shakes and tiredness. Remember that some alcoholics and drug addicts withdraw with very few symptoms while others go through horrific experiences. Is one more addicted than the other?

We have to stop treating people like science fair projects when it comes to food and "dieting". Science now shows through new tools like PET and MRI brain scans the addiction-related organic changes that take place in the reward system and the prefrontal cortex. This occurs across all additions, from drugs and alcohol to the newly discovered food addiction. This new pioneering research is also helping us to appreciate a holistic and integrative approach to addiction. I was first senior research fellow in the NIH Office of Complementary Medicine. Using food addiction as template, THE HUNGER FIX addiction plan integrates personal empowerment, spirituality, along with whole food nutrition and restorative physical activity. Shame, blame and guilt must be neutralized with compassion, empathy and then the tools of self-empowerment.