Foods that shocked you

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I am shocked at how triggering nuts can be for me, especially cashews. I thought I could eat them in moderation, but nope, had to give the can away to my kid because I could not stop eating them.

Guess I will either never buy them again or buy them as a very rare treat.

Who would have thought I'd go from reaching for the fudge on the counter to reaching right past it to the cashews and still be susceptible to a binge?
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Almost everything on the Chilis menu. I can find something decent to eat at nearly any restaurant, but dang, come on Chilis.
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It wasn't the calories that shocked me, but the sodium that is in prepackaged meals (think microwave meals and canned soup). OMG!
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've read that the fast in dressings helps your body absorb the nutrients in salad, but that monounsaturated is ideal. Anyone know of a salad dressing high in monounsaturated fast?

Also remember that the fast in nuts is good fast and it's recommended to eat a handful every day. I'm trying to do that since my good cholesterol is a bit low.

Olive oil with balsamic vinegar and spices

The best things to kick up your good cholesterol are aerobic exercise and moderate alcohol consumption ( a drink a day for a woman)
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The good-
    Pickles. Yay. Little to no calories. Boo, sodium.

The bad-
    Fluck a duck. My lust of take out wonton soup will be the end of me.

I've been fat all my life, no thanks to both myself and the amount of bad junk food in my childhood (having my parents divorce twice and being raised by grandparents who spoil you, ect). So I'm tried of it. Fed up with it.
    I wanna be who I feel I am on the inside.
  • SenorFrog21
    Options
    I used to get 4 donuts every morning on my way to work. I always knew it was excessive, and I never felt good after eating them, but I just craved that sugar rush.

I looked them up when I started logging here, and I was horrified to find out they were 370 calories EACH! That was 1500 calories in my body before I even sat down at my computer.

Add to that my typical lunch at Taco Bell that was pushing 1800 calories, and it's no wonder I'm the size that I am!

I always knew what I was eating was bad, but I had no idea that I was consuming roughly 3500 calories/day before getting home for dinner.
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A lot of foods at chain sit down restaurants.
    Costco jumbo muffin.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I used to get 4 donuts every morning on my way to work. I always knew it was excessive, and I never felt good after eating them, but I just craved that sugar rush.

I looked them up when I started logging here, and I was horrified to find out they were 370 calories EACH! That was 1500 calories in my body before I even sat down at my computer.

Add to that my typical lunch at Taco Bell that was pushing 1800 calories, and it's no wonder I'm the size that I am!

I always knew what I was eating was bad, but I had no idea that I was consuming roughly 3500 calories/day before getting home for dinner.

I've been mind blown the few times I've logged what a typical day used to be for me. I was consuming between 3-4k calories a day...dayyuumm. No wonder I was fat and sluggish.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I actually was the most surprised at how low the calorie count came in for Domino's Pizza. I mean, nobody would call it a low calorie food, but I thought the 2 slices of medium pepperoni I had for dinner one time would totally blow my day. I find pizza to be quite filling, so it's not hard for me to fit it in.

I've said it before, for me, portion-size is not the issue. It's all about the sugar! But I can't say I was ever *surprised* about how many calories were in a box of donuts or a bag of M&Ms.
  • MrMax
    MrMax Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I was floored when I found out it can easily set you back about 800 calories, depending on how liberal you are with the peanut butter and jelly.
  • Mverdecia1
    Options
    Hey! I don't have a shocking food, but I have an AWESOME recipe for you and your niece! I found it on Pinterest and I have made it many times.... I keep a bottle in the fridge always and use it on wraps, salads, burgers etc.

Protein Ranch:

-Packet of ranch dressing powdered mix
    -Fiber One Cottage Cheese
    -water

Put it all in a blender (to thin out chuncks) add water until it is the consistency you want.

It tastes AWESOME and it is only about 45 calories for 1/4 of a CUP! It also has 5 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber! Which makes it good for you!

You should definitely try it! You could even make it with your niece! Hope it helps! :)

MAddie
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Half and Half....I love it in my coffee....and I take it light and it is WAY to many calories....I've switched to skim. boo

Try fat free half and half. I use it for cooking and really can't tell the difference. LOL! My guests at the b&b in the summertime are happy with it too-if I have too much, or someone on a low fat diet-they get the ff kind-and never a complaint.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Salads shocked me. Twelve years ago when I lost my first 80 lbs I researched and learned everything there was to know at the time about everything weight loss related. I remember being thunderstruck by the amount of calories in a loaded salad with ranch dressing as compared to say a big hamburger with fries. I've always LOVED salads, now it's a love/hate relationship because I can't spare 1500 calories for the salad I want to eat. And have to settle for a small low cal one I only kind of want.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Cheese, I went to low-fat but I love me some Cheese...
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I used to eat A LOT of pizza and had that creamy garlic dipping sauce with it. I was floored to find out that the little pot of sauce was close to 400 calories!!! That was more than the 2 slices of pizza I would eat!

For my Canuck MFPers - its the one you get from Pizza Pizza.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Cheese, I went to low-fat but I love me some Cheese...

I miss grilled cheese sandwhich. Cheese is hard to give up.
    And roasted nuts.

I still eat the unsalted raw nuts and seeds in salads. They are healthy calories.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I was surprised when I heard Avocado was high in fat! Avocado oil was nearly double the calories and fat versus a stick of light unsalted butter D:
  • SunshineDecember
    SunshineDecember Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and booze. It still shocks me, when I allow my self an indulgence every once in a while.

Actually, fruit, too. I used to think I could just pig out on fruit as much as I wanted, as long as I stayed away from bread and pastas and stuff like that. Shocked me to realize that a large apple has just as many calories as a piece of toast.
  • shaybuggie
    shaybuggie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Subway sandwiches
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    peanut butter. because i love it.
    any pasta or carb seems to have a lot. can't really have big portions of those anymore so that's upsetting.
    i do love that i can have larger portions of meat and it's not really that many calories. that makes me feel better.