Foods that shocked you

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i would be more worried about a 9 year old having such a negative body image than a bottle of ranch dressing
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The Caesar salad from Chili's or any other restaurant..I was shocked that a salad could have so many calories.

I plan on emphasizing portion control more than calorie counting for my son. I think that oversized portions are worse than the food itself.
  • cglenden
    cglenden Posts: 18
    Options
    Watermelon is very high in calories for a fruit... You would think it was mostly water... Wrong.. O god pb2 is the best stuff ever invented!
    Some of these shock me... Why would anyone fear watermelon? And eat far free ranch, pb2. There are ways to have most everything. Except butter, fake butter flavor is so bad for you, might as well east the real stuff.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had a wrap at Freshii today. I was so :blushing: at thinking it would be in the healthy range. Yeah, no. Not a 720 calories. Lesson learned, all the fresh food marketing means crap.

I'm still new at this whole weight less thing, but cooking from scratch is looking better and better all the time. Not going to happen with our life style but I know now where I can work on things.
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    My daily AM Tim Hortons coffee. 320 calories for an XL double double? I almost fell over. I allowed myself to have it for one more day after I started logging. One more day and I really savored it. Then I switched to a lower calorie option.

Also avocados and bananas, peanut butter, restaurant salads and muffins.

Mind you I still eat all of these things (except the XL double double), just in moderation. I also never eat restaurant muffins. You can make them at home for far fewer calories and they taste better.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I discovered I had a very warped sense of calorie estimation. I was flat out ignorant of what most foods contained. Even then you don't realize how quickly they add up.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    granola, it gets me everytime!

peanut butter, butter, mayo, condiments in general. luckily i like mustard.

those "wraps" that are small and thin, could actually have quite many calories.

what else.. plain saltine crackers.. they are like eating air but packs cals..
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    My daily AM Tim Hortons coffee. 320 calories for an XL double double? I almost fell over. I allowed myself to have it for one more day after I started logging. One more day and I really savored it. Then I switched to a lower calorie option.

Also avocados and bananas, peanut butter, restaurant salads and muffins.

Mind you I still eat all of these things (except the XL double double), just in moderation. I also never eat restaurant muffins. You can make them at home for far fewer calories and they taste better.
    Must be a fellow Canadian :flowerforyou: I used to have an extra large triple triple and a cheese bagel with butter and herb and garlic cream cheese every morning. That's about 900 calories. I have to avoid Timmy's now like the plague and go to Subway instead. :sad:
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have a couple.

Like many others, a tbsp of penaut butter for about 100 calories. I do still have some occasionally though.

Cheese! I weighed out the grams and boy, you don't get much, lol. Again, I still have cheese but I absolutely weigh it out every time.
  • jinky5
    jinky5 Posts: 1
    Options
    WINE. I don't even think anyone has mentioned this?! I'm Scottish and we're mostly all alcoholics ask any one of us and it will be the calories in booze that saddens us the most. Not only that but the more you drink the hungrier you get :( I feel both jealousy and pity for all the Americans here though you guys have such a massive and appealing choice of junk food at your disposal I wouldn't stand a chance!
  • emaxtastic
    emaxtastic Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    sandwhiches in general lol. and i love me a gooood samwhich

Open-Faced is the way to go!! Cut's out that second piece of bread, and with just 15g of cheese crumbled on top and melted under the broiler it become HEAVENLY.

Try: One slice toasted weight watcher's bread, with half can of flaked light tuna, a tsp of compliment's "whipped dressing, squirt of sriracha, and top with 15g shredded old cheddar. broil until cheese melts!

So much protein, so much flavour, feels sinful, but isn't.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You said you wanted to hear the good and the bad. I was stunned how low in calories berries are and they are low glycemic too!!!!. Suddenly I could order dessert in a nice restaurant. "Hold the cheesecake and bring me some of the lovely berries you garnish it with." YUMMMM
  • mangoos
    mangoos Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Agree with jinky5. WINE!!!......4oz is like >120 cal(red and white).And 1 glass of wine is like 8-10 oz.:drinker:
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I would have to say Peanut Butter as well. I was like really. 200 something cals for two tablespoons of Peanut Butter. Outrageous!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Irish steelcut oatmeal.
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Why not have fat-free ranch?
    The brand I use only has 15 cals a TBS.
    i love adding Penzey's Arizona Dreaming spice to it, adds a kick of flavor and 0 cals.