Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    live electric eel
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Perkins southern fried chicken and biscuits is around 2000 calories. Shortly after we discovered that, my bf and I were eating at Perkins and the two gals behind both ordered that. I was tempted to tell them

At Ihop, I sub green peppers and onions for the cheese and cheese sauce in one of their omelets and save over 400 calories.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    live electric eel

*sings*
    When something bites your thigh,
    makes you scream,
    makes you cry
    it's a moray....
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bisto instant gravy granules, I used to think it would be so high in calories I never let myself have any.
    It's only 15calories per 50ml! Awesome!
  • beanerific518
    Options
    When I first started, some of my normal weeknight suppers shocked the *kitten* out of me. I thought they were "healthy" because they weren't deep fried.

I feel deeply sad for your niece. I know what it is like to be a chunky kid and feeling completely helpless to change. Be a positive force for her with your healthy eating habits and keeping activity fun.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Some of these shock me... Why would anyone fear watermelon? And eat far free ranch, pb2. There are ways to have most everything. Except butter, fake butter flavor is so bad for you, might as well east the real stuff.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    tortillas of any kind, especially because a lot of the time a wrap is promoted as the "lighter" or "healthier" option on a menu! Just cutting a large tortilla in half and using that for my sandwich is over 100 calories. Using an entire wrap, and then filling it can add up quickly!
    Yup! ^^ Tortillas! Love me some good Mexican food- but when I saw how many cals in a tortilla- I couldn't believe it. Anywhere from 150-200.... and the tortilla isn't even really the good part. It's just the vehicle to get all the good stuff into my mouth! So now I use the tiny little La Tortilla Factory 'Smart & Delicious' 50 cal ones. But- I miss grubbing a big ol' burrito!
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've read that the fast in dressings helps your body absorb the nutrients in salad, but that monounsaturated is ideal. Anyone know of a salad dressing high in monounsaturated fast?

Also remember that the fast in nuts is good fast and it's recommended to eat a handful every day. I'm trying to do that since my good cholesterol is a bit low.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Tumaro's low carb tortillas 60 cal each. I live off of those.
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sweet tea from anywhere! I can buy a pre-sweetened tea from the gas station or a fast food place and it will have hundreds of calories, or I can get a regular tea and put in some sweetener for less than ten calories....
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cereal of anykind from oats to fruit loops. You do not get a bowl full nor do you get enough to be full with the 30g serving. It barely covers the bottom of the bowl!!!! I quit eating cereal as to get "enough" it ended up being like a 700 cal meal (with milk) boooo!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    And this is why people are overweight. Not actually understanding the total calories for a food, drink, etc. has left people wondering why they gain weight.
    You can eat whatever you want, you just have to understand how to do it with limitations.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    butter, nuts, muffins and sometimes the calorie count on grilled chicken salads at restaurants surprises/shocks me.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Pasta

Crackelins

Potatoes

Nuts

Granted I still eat them all, but seriously person who invented those things? really?
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I love tortillas myself, and I do not buy the grocery store kinds.

I am fortunate enough to live really close to a mexican grocery store (if you live in Pittsburgh, it's Reyna Foods) where they make fresh tortillas on site. And they taste better and are only 80 calories.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to discover how devoid of actual nutrients most grain based foods are. Cereal, bread, pasta is almost entirely empty calories. Even with some nutrients added back in, there just isn't a lot of nutritional value there.

And they all taste so good. :frown:
  • hsmithway
    Options
    I've read that the fast in dressings helps your body absorb the nutrients in salad, but that monounsaturated is ideal. Anyone know of a salad dressing high in monounsaturated fast?

That was my understanding as well, that a little bit of fat helps your body use the fat-soluble vitamins in the salad. But I can't imagine it takes much at all. Since I generally like a little bit of cheese on my salad, I'll often use a fat free viniagrette. Or I can add a little bit of avocado, or a hard-boiled egg instead of a high-calorie dressing. But it seems like you could easily use a tiny bit of olive oil if you're concerned about the type of fat you're getting.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Cereal of anykind from oats to fruit loops. You do not get a bowl full nor do you get enough to be full with the 30g serving. It barely covers the bottom of the bowl!!!! I quit eating cereal as to get "enough" it ended up being like a 700 cal meal (with milk) boooo!!!

I just eat mine out of a mug or a smaller bowl. And if you are still hungry, eat some fruit. I try to put banana or blueberry in my cereal if I can. Usually my breakfasts (the whole meal, mind you) do not go over 350 calories. And that's with a serving of oatmeal, a cup of coffee with creamer and a little bit of brown sugar on the oatmeal.
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Gotta go with grits on this one! Damn! No self respecting Southerner eats a half a cup of grits! Its a bowl full, and its about 4 cups when you get down to it. Its also over 500 calories! Yikes! And when I think about how many times I used to stop by MickeyDs and order a medium caramel frappe and a chicken biscuit-it sickens me. I cant believe how many calories I used to down with the frappe alone. Reformed and loving it! But, I still gotta have my grits...
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Butter and reeses peanut butter cups surprised the bejesus out of me. I still eat them, but now I know to be careful.