Foods that shocked you

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Beer and Hard Cider. One of my favorite beers has almost 200 calories in a 12oz bottle. My favorite hard cider has almost 300 calories in a 12oz bottle. I drink them sparingly these days, but will never give them up.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    And this is why people are overweight. Not actually understanding the total calories for a food, drink, etc. has left people wondering why they gain weight.
    You can eat whatever you want, you just have to understand how to do it with limitations.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This = amazing. I couldn't agree more.

And...this is why MFP works so well for me...you see food for what it is.

Canned fruit is another shock factor food...most are empty calories.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    butter. I love real butter but it is shocking.

^ This.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    electric eel.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    go buy her a bottle of fat free ranch.....lol.....
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Half and Half....I love it in my coffee....and I take it light and it is WAY to many calories....I've switched to skim. boo

Even fat-free? I accidentially bought fat-free creamer the other day and used it to make hot cocoa on the stove, not realizing it wasn't the full-fat version. It was so good I wouldn't have known otherwise had my husband not made mention that I'd mistakenly purchased fat-free creamer. Maybe it will work for you?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I once picked up a jar of mole (chocolate-chili sauce) in the grocery store, and the label said 300 calories per tablespoon. That can't be right! Even butter isn't 300 calories per tablespoon, is it? Or is it?
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    butter. I love real butter but it is shocking.

No, it's not! Butter is only 35 cals per "pat". What's shocking about that? I eat butter on my food all the time.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    go buy her a bottle of fat free ranch.....lol.....

Bleh; can't recommend it.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Actually everything!! Before I educated myself on portion and eating healthy...I used to just eat...if I ate a a medium plate of pasta insterad of a big one I thought i was doing myself a favor!! Little did I know I was eating over 1000 calories in that one meal...right before bed in most cases...I guess you could say I was SHOKED by how many calories are in pasta.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My dad wouldn't let me have ranch or mayo when I was a kid because he said it'd make me fat. I loved the stuff but stopped eating it when he said that.

I love peanut butter but 100 calories for a tbsp of anything is ridiculous.

There are crackers here called Salticrax (heh, the name is funny). I can and have eaten the whole box in one sitting. Just one sleeve of them is about 700 calories without cheese or anything on top.

And WATERMELON is killing me at the moment! I'll have a whole one over the course of a day or two- that's over 1000 calories to budget in.

And popcorn- we don't have the low cal options and I haven't been able to find paper bags for the life of me. Oil popped on the stove is about the only way to do it here. That's 400 calories easy, no butter.

Have you looked into buying a hot air popper for popcorn?

You might not even need to do that. If you have a good quality non-stick pan or pot with a lid, you don't need the butter or oil. Just make sure you preheat the pot/pan first. I did that just yesterday on the stove top and added the butter only after it was popped.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Chick fil a sauce
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    SUBWAY sandwiches are FULL of sodium!!!!!!!!!!!! FULL,and that's with regular meat,cheese and veggies on whole wheat bread...
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    And this is why people are overweight. Not actually understanding the total calories for a food, drink, etc. has left people wondering why they gain weight.
    You can eat whatever you want, you just have to understand how to do it with limitations.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I think that might sometimes be true, but it's not true for everybody. I've dieted before, so I had a fair understanding of the calories in the foods that I ate day to day. I DID misunderstand how many calories I needed to maintain. I think that in my case, I put weight on because I was roughly eating an average woman's calories, and needed less than average.

I'm just mentioning this because I think a lot of overweight and obese people are serial dieters and are more aware than some of the amount of calories in food.

Having said all that, the one food that really caught me out was watermelon. I hadn't eaten it on a diet before and had never checked the calories. I had an idea of other melons but for some reason, I'd told myself that watermelon was mainly water and so I overate on that!
  • marylje
    marylje Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cafe Rio salads (fast, fresh food in Utah and the west). Sadly, the pork salad comes in around 1800-2000 calories. ARGGGHHHH!!!
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was also shocked when I first realized that onions and peppers counted as veggies...I always though of them as condiments. That was years ago :)
  • Lovely_Skeleton
    Options
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!! 240 calories D:
  • Mandarz
    Mandarz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm always more shocked by all the chemicals in commercial food. I can make my own ranch dressing without all the preservatives or whatever else they have to put in there to make it shelf stable. The older I get, the more that kind of grosses me out. I'd rather a balsamic vinaigrette with my salad. I'm generally ok with the calores from fat, but wouldn't down an entire jar of sunflower butter or anything. I don't let the fat calories from food stop me from eating them, but high fructose corn syrup? Red dye 40? Yeah, that stufff grosses me out.

Eh, we all have our *thing*. :-)

AGREED- food like substances are starting to gross me out, working towards a more whole food/primal lifestyle.. Fat is not the devil... sugar is..

But for me... the shockers were, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, granola.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    rice.
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Salads at a restaurant.

Quesadilla Explosion is over 1300 calories FOR A SALAD and it comes with a vinaigrette!!!! >.< appalling