Who has given up Alcohol?

Options

Replies

• Magoo64
    Magoo64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have given it up except for the occasional planned days where I go off my diet, like I did this week with Xmas eve and day dinners. In general I have found that by cutting it out completely while trying to lose weight, i have lost weight way faster than those times I have worked it into my diet. I love wine with my meals, but have just found it way better and easier for me to eat healthy food calories instead of drinking them. My nutritional counselor firmly believes it is better to take it out while losing weight (save the occasional splurge) because it doesn't metabolize the same as food and makes your body less efficient. I'm sure others will counter that, but it is working well for me to eliminate it.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I am not a big drinker and I'm on a tight budget so I can't afford to buy alcohol or other things that aren't necessary. Anyway, I like expensive sweet liquers like Bailey's - and that doesn't fit with my $$ budget, my calorie budget, or my lactose intolerance. [And I recently found out they make a CHOCOLATE Bailey's... drool.]

I do cook with cheap wine from time to time. Tasty, the bottle lasts forever when just used for cooking, and I count in the calories.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I havent given it up because I wasnt much of a drinker anyways!
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I've never been much of a drinker. However I use to love a glass of wine maybe once or twice a week. Apparently my body has an allergic reaction to it and my Dr. said I had to give it up...

So, it wasn't that big of a deal for me, but it wasn't by choice either.
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Red wine is good for you ... I keep it in my diet for health reasons :smile: :wink:
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

haha!!! Pinot Grigio in hand as I am typing... some days after work I feel like a glass of wine just helps me unwind =\
    [/quote]

Jealous...
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    god didnt make boozer and loser rhyme just for the hell of it

God must have never tasted this delicious, ice cold Sam Adams.

:laugh:
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Red wine is good for you ... I keep it in my diet for health reasons :smile: :wink:

I get headaches from red wine I think it is the sulfites. Haven't stop drinking other stuff though, just have to work it into my calories. With a drink or two I take less ibuprofen for pain, not sure which of these are worse.
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Given it up along with sodas and caffeine.

I did this. Gave up caffeine and sodas when I was pregnant 11 years ago, never took it back up. Now I just drink filtered water, tap water or carbonated water and I don't miss other drinks at all. Never feel particularly good when I drink alcohol and we have addicts in the family so steer clear of it. Less liquid calories means I can eat more!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    double post...sorry
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Liquid calories never seem to be my problem but alcohol is absolutely a problem of mine... but you know I don't care what they say alcohol is technically a solution...LOL but really I only drink wine anymore
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have for the most part....it's mostly empty calories.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I wasn't much of a drinker to begin with, but I limit alcohol even more now that I'm working out. I do love Orange Dream Martinis at Applebees though! :wink:
  • ssl444
    ssl444 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    No I haven't given it up and no I don't intend to, I keep my alcohol within my daily calorie allowance and I opt for low calorie drinks ie lambrini light as it is 40cals a glass, I am not gong to deprive myself completely as I know my diet will fail, I lost 14lbs prior to MFP and I have lost a further 5lbs since joining MFP. :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Nope, and it hasn't hindered my weight loss thus far. I do track it and log it...usually if I'm over my calorie goal, it's because I've had an unintended glass of wine or something. I don't drink beer too often these days...one of my favorites has over 200 calories in a 12oz bottle, so I'm pretty much screwed if I have a couple of those.

So, I haven't given it up, but I do watch it much closer than I used to and I pretty much stick with vodka and soda these days.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    havent given it up but i drink a lot less than i used too. i miss beer, wine and whiskey way more than any food.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Its been about a year for me, use to drink beer almost daily. About a year ago I had an infected tooth and had to have antibiotics. Didn't know that "Clindamycin" has a high rate of C-Diff infection. Long story short I was sick and the doctors took awhile to figure it all out since I didn't have a severe C-diff infection. I was off alcohol for about 3 mo. and decided it was the best thing for me.
    My weight loss was quite a bit and I think stopping the drinking helped.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    You can have my vodka when you pry it from my cold, dead hand.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I gave it up because it was empty calories and prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them only to still be hungry. I was a Vodka/Cranberry Juice drinker and 1 drink would net 240 calories...yikes! I have only drank a handful of times since August 2009 and I like it this way. Saves $$$ too!