Tips for Gym Newbies

Options
So hopefully this thread won't turn into a "this is why we hate gym newbies. grr damn your eyes" thread and instead will offer some helpful hints to any newbies who will be getting their resolution on in the new years.

please post tips that new people in the gym might not know or realize. :happy: remember you were all newbs once and none of us were born fully formed and battle ready like athena from zeus' head.

i'll start

This is a squat rack
200x215xHS-OLYSQTRACK-O1CO.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Nl_lxnwi8J.jpg

if your gym has more than one of these, please don't work out between them. not only do you run the risk of being hurt with a moving barbell, you're also in the way of people getting weights

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Please please please wipe down the benches and/or machines when you are done with them, even if you don't think you were sweating.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Squat racks are best used for heavy weight exercises. There are usually other spots to do arm exercises ad chin ups.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Benches are tools for exercises. Not places to relax, not storage for your shaker cup and towel, not yours to call dibs on when you're not using it.

People look around when they're in between sets (if they're not dancing or playing with their phones), they're not necessarily creeping you. I mean, they *might be* creeping you, but it's not the only explanation if you catch eyes with someone. If it's me, I'm probably creeping you. :tongue:

If you don't know how to use something, just ask. People would much rather help you than cringe watching you use something *kitten*-backwards. But most people won't just come and offer help, it's often considered abrasive- so just ask. But NOT while someone's in the middle of a set- wait until they're between sets and looking around.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    When you take a new class, it is intimidating, but don't be afraid to take your space. Everyone else is pretty much just as shy and self-conscious as you, and thinking about themselves. I know the inclination is to hide in the back, but when everyone crowds into the back, toes get stepped on.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Don't use bad language or talk about all your personal probs in a loud obnoxious voice. Some of us come to get in the zone in our heads and it is the only relatively quiet time we have in our day.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Go in with a plan!!

if you aren't working out with a trainer, then decide before hand what your workout is going to be. you'll get more out of it if you dont just wing it

don't worry about being overweight or out of shape or both
    most people aren't paying attention to you, so dont worry about them judging you
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

This is a squat rack
    200x215xHS-OLYSQTRACK-O1CO.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Nl_lxnwi8J.jpg

This is how to use a squat rack:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/172520-how-to-do-curls-in-a-squat-rack/
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My gym has mats that are generally used for calisthenics or stretching... if your gym has these, please don't just lay there and text on them (: lol It's quite annoying when you would actually like to use them and someone is just texting on them because they don't feel like getting up.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Please put away your dumbbells, plates, whatever equipment you use!
  • MDIRunner
    Options
    Agreed- wipe it down and put it away!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Work out what your goals are in the gym before you even leave the house. Plan your workout accordingly.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I hate to see people lifting weights that my 9-year old could lift. I KNOW you can lift more than that because you look bored and not at all like you're working. Stop wasting your time. You bought the membership, got dressed, and came to the gym. Go hard or go home!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this might be nitpicky, but learn the water fountain layout of your gym. for every high traffic water fountain, there are usually 1 or 2 out of the way ones.

fill your water bottle up at the low traffic one so you won't have a line of people looking at you like :devil: because all they want is a sip and you are filling up a 64 oz bottle
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I hate to see people lifting weights that my 9-year old could lift. I KNOW you can lift more than that because you look bored and not at all like you're working. Stop wasting your time. You bought the membership, got dressed, and came to the gym. Go hard or go home!

Hmm....I disagree with this. Learning good form is paramount- and new gym users should really practice good form with light weights before risking injury with heavy weights and mediocre-bad form.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Find someone who really knows what they are doing. Follow their diet to the T and the training they suggest. The amount of people that waste months/years when all they need to do is ask!
  • Jason3589
    Options
    Your phone should only be used to play music, not to take phone calls. your there to work out, focus on that, after all its only about 1 hour of your day
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking about trying a Spinning Class and you aren't used to cycling, your bottom may be quite sore at first. For future rides, you may want to consider purchasing a padded seat cover or investing in some padded biker shorts. These make the world of difference, at least until that "area" gets used to the seat.
  • JulieB_MN
    JulieB_MN Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    At my gym there is a sign in the cardio area that says 20 minute limit when busy. Please respect that and don't put in 60 minutes. Do the 20 if no one else is there waiting then you can do more or go to a different type of machine and do more. WIPE DOWN YOUR MACHINES NO ONE WANTS YOUR SWEAT!