Tips for Gym Newbies

Options

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you are new to the gym and have never used the free weights or the machines, make sure you get at least an introductory session from someone at the gym where they show you the basics. You can really hurt yourself if you use some of them the wrong way. Wipe **** off, put **** away, and be courteous to others. Don't hold a machine so you can sit on it for 10 minutes texting or resting.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

believe me, there are people out there that aren't looking down on you (unless they are just a pompous A-hole that nobody gives two craps about anyway), but instead they have the utmost respect for what you are doing

5. Hey there Mr. Bodybuilder dude with the half-missing shirt and still wearing your torn up, acid washed jeans making all the noise and staring everybody down in some type of threatening sneer. I got news for you, when you try to act like Billy-Badass because you think it makes people respect you more....guess what, we are just biting our tongues from saying what we feel like saying for a couple reasons (a) because it would just be impolite; (b) because you could probably beat me to a pulp; (c) because we may not be able to speak without laughing in your face which would cause you to take the actions mentioned in "b" and finally (d) we don't know if you would understand us if we did say something, because you are acting like a total jerkoff neanderthal. (whewww...sorry...bad experience years ago)

8. And finally, if you are new and embarrassed about the shape you are in.....look around the gym. Not a single person there was born looking the way they do today, and many of them were in as bad a shape, if not worse shape than you when they first started. Like I said, you'll be MORE respected for making such a commitment to change and pushing through the tough first months than will the unfrozen caveman Hulkamaniac to your left!

Yes. The epitome of respect and non-judgement.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

This is a squat rack
    200x215xHS-OLYSQTRACK-O1CO.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Nl_lxnwi8J.jpg

This is how to use a squat rack:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/172520-how-to-do-curls-in-a-squat-rack/

This made my day. :laugh:
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I hate to see people lifting weights that my 9-year old could lift. I KNOW you can lift more than that because you look bored and not at all like you're working. Stop wasting your time. You bought the membership, got dressed, and came to the gym. Go hard or go home!

Hmm....I disagree with this. Learning good form is paramount- and new gym users should really practice good form with light weights before risking injury with heavy weights and mediocre-bad form.

Also they might be doing a high rep - low weight day.

Lifting as heavy as you can for x12x3 is not the only way to work out.

So this brings me to my point

Don't be judgmental at the gym. You are there to work on yourself so keep to yourself.

Also, just because you have been going to the gym for a few months and can pick things up and put them down does not make you a fitness guru. You don't know everything about every workout plan.
  • speedgoose
    Options

don't worry about being overweight or out of shape or both
    most people aren't paying attention to you, so dont worry about them judging you

THIS ^^^

Really, no one's probably even looking at you, so don't be self conscious.
  • speedgoose
    Options

most people aren't paying attention to you, so dont worry about them judging you

THIS ^^^

Really, no one's probably even looking at you, so don't be self conscious.

Just realized that sounded *****y...didn't mean it that way =)
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just anal, but...

Re-racking your weights after using them is awesome, but also remember to put them in the right spot!

There are usually places for each size of weight plate, and each dumbbell pair. Please put yours in the appropriate spot.

Lol. No way. That would require me to pick up every single weight in the gym and move them all to where they belong. NO. Aint doing it. All you OCD and anal retentive people just have to deal. I put it in the first open spot. That's as good as its going to get.

One of my pet peeves is...please, please, please use full range of motion if you lift weight or do any resistance. I would say about 80%, and I'm being really nice, do not use full range of motion and it really bothers me A LOT. it is important that you do so. Thanks. One of these days, I'm going to walk up and yell t someone. It just bothers me soooooo much. I can't describe to you the inner seething feeling I get when I see people only doing 1/2 or 3/4 or the motion. Aaaaaaaaahhhh. Drives me insane.

But imagine if everyone took two seconds to put everything where it belongs. Why is that such a horrible idea?
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I hate to see people lifting weights that my 9-year old could lift. I KNOW you can lift more than that because you look bored and not at all like you're working. Stop wasting your time. You bought the membership, got dressed, and came to the gym. Go hard or go home!

Hmm....I disagree with this. Learning good form is paramount- and new gym users should really practice good form with light weights before risking injury with heavy weights and mediocre-bad form.

^THIS^
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options

AGREED!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Don't be judgmental at the gym. You are there to work on yourself so keep to yourself.

Generally speaking, the only rule you need to remember is this ^.

Otherwise, just use some common courtesy to others (putting things back where they belong, wiping down equipment, etc.).

Definitely don't let some random turdmonkey ruin your day either. No matter what you look like, someone will be a jerk to you at the gym at some point or another. Just ignore them and move on. They aren't worth your time or stress. You have every right to be there as they do.
  • bshawnette
    bshawnette Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't try to have a random conversation about nothing with someone who is really working out. I'm focused which means I'm probably sweating, out of breath and would have to stop what I'm doing to engage in your nothingness.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Also, just because you have been going to the gym for a few months and can pick things up and put them down does not make you a fitness guru. You don't know everything about every workout plan.

and ^^THIS^^
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1. DEODERANT is your friend... USE IT
    2. Leave you mobile phone in your bag....... Talking on the phone or texting in the gym is RUDE.. besides, youare there to work out and burn maximum calories.... texting dont burn calories people!!!
    3. wipe your sweat of the equiptment
    4. dont stress about your body flaws, everyone is there for the same reason, the hottest person in the gym, may have just been exactly where you are.. you are still lapping everyone on the couch

HAVE FUN... :)

I didn't realize my texting was affecting your workout sooo much... If I can text while walking on a treadmill how is that rude? I can see talking on the phone.... But texting? I think you need to calm down about what other people are doing if it doesn't affect you at all.
  • teneh
    teneh Posts: 39
    Options
    RE-RACK YOUR WEIGHTS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Go in with a plan!!

if you aren't working out with a trainer, then decide before hand what your workout is going to be. you'll get more out of it if you dont just wing it

Great advice! Always go with a plan. Nothing is more frustrating, than the feeling of not knowing what to do next! If you can get you a workout buddy too.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Don't do your dumbbell curls, shrugs or lateral lifts directly in front of the dumbbell racks, I don't want to have to wait for you to finish your set to grab dumbbells, take 3 steps back and get after it.
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking about trying a Spinning Class and you aren't used to cycling, your bottom may be quite sore at first. For future rides, you may want to consider purchasing a padded seat cover or investing in some padded biker shorts. These make the world of difference, at least until that "area" gets used to the seat.

I wish someone had told me this before I took my first spinning class. hehehe.
  • LisaLamb1
    LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't think you need it, put on extra deodorant.

Don't be a weight hoarder. Seriously, one woman collected every set of barbells she planned on using for the next hour, then wouldn't share. Rude.

If you see someone who is doing something that you are not sure what it is, ask. I have learnt a lot from other people in the gym - how to do things more effectively, different ways of working biceps/triceps, etc.

Wipe everything down (before and after) because you don't know who used it before you & if they wiped it down, and after because you don't want to be that person who doesn't.

And don't ever make fun of anyone who is at the gym, anyone who is trying to improve their life (duh, that is why they are there) is OK with me, I don't care if it was their new year's resolution or not.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

I have done just about every workout possible and I promise you on a high rep low weight day I sweat and work harder than a heavy day as does anyone trying to work out for real. She is talking about those people that pick up a 5 pound weight do 8 reps without ever breaking a sweat, or straining in any way whatsever, we have all seen these people and it's truly annoying because 9 times out of 10 they are griping about not getting any better.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if I have headphones on don't try to talk to me..

If I am using the squat rack, pull up station whatever..don't ask me how many more sets I have..when I;m done i'm done..

if you want to work in thats cool, just ask :)