Tips for Gym Newbies

Options

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Track your progress. (And make sure you progress!)

No matter if you lift, or run, or swim or skip, aim to have continuous improvement.

If you go to the gym and lift the same weights, swim a lap in the same time, run the same distance, or skip for the same ammount of time.... Then your not pushing yourself.

Walk into the gym with a plan.

I have a notebook I write my sets in, and when I work out with my trainer, he checks over what I've done and adjusts our workout accordingly.

Be consistent (in your habit).

I schedule my training time into my diary. If something else comes up that you can't move or work around, I make sure I move my diary entry and still go.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just anal, but...

Re-racking your weights after using them is awesome, but also remember to put them in the right spot!

There are usually places for each size of weight plate, and each dumbbell pair. Please put yours in the appropriate spot.

Lol. No way. That would require me to pick up every single weight in the gym and move them all to where they belong. NO. Aint doing it. All you OCD and anal retentive people just have to deal. I put it in the first open spot. That's as good as its going to get.

One of my pet peeves is...please, please, please use full range of motion if you lift weight or do any resistance. I would say about 80%, and I'm being really nice, do not use full range of motion and it really bothers me A LOT. it is important that you do so. Thanks. One of these days, I'm going to walk up and yell t someone. It just bothers me soooooo much. I can't describe to you the inner seething feeling I get when I see people only doing 1/2 or 3/4 or the motion. Aaaaaaaaahhhh. Drives me insane.
    Put the weights back in their correct spots. There is nothing worse than having to unrack a 110 barbell from the top rack. All because some idiot was too lazy to put it in the correct spot.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    - The first (or second) time you go to a new gym, take a walk around and get used to where everything is.

- asking questions or asking someone to spot you is fine, but wait until they are done with their set and don't try to start a long conversation with them - they need to get their workout done too

- rerack your weights

- go in with a plan

- start off slowly and get used to the weights/machines

- always strive to maintain proper form when lifting, the weight you are lifting is irrelevant compared to others. No-one will pay attention to the weights you are lifting but they will pay attention to the person grunting loudly on every curl and throwing weights.

- keep your eyes open and do not 'get into someone's space' when they are lifting i.e. do no get close enough to bump them accidentally

- don't talk on your phone

- have fun

- double check you have the correct plates if you use a barbell on both sides of the barbell (double check the weights you are putting on) and double check that you have picked up the same lb dumbbells. (I put a 35lb plate instead of a 25lb on one side of a barbell once....it was embarrassing when I had to do the wiggle of shame).
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Please don't do curls in the squat rack. Please. I beg you.

--P
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have proper supplies before going to the gym. If your gym does not supply towels, make sure you bring your own. In addition, ALWAYS check behind yourself when finishing a machine or using a piece of equipment. I have seen countless people lose keys, gloves, water bottles, etc in the gym.
  • january2015
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I had to go out and buy a padded seat cover after my first class. Second timeI wasl sore but at least I could walk after class.
  • Beki_87
    Options
    Another repeat...

If you don't know how to use a machine, ASK! The rowing machines seem to be the worst- the number of people I see who look completely ridiculous trying to use them, and are clearly not getting any kind of decent workout. Just ASK someone- I'd totally step in and offer guidance if I didn't think people would tell me to get lost...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Another repeat...

If you don't know how to use a machine, ASK! The rowing machines seem to be the worst- the number of people I see who look completely ridiculous trying to use them, and are clearly not getting any kind of decent workout. Just ASK someone- I'd totally step in and offer guidance if I didn't think people would tell me to get lost...

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-z9lkn3W_M
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Here's my random stream of consciousness in no particular order, gathered after about 9 months of weightlifting and losing almost 90 pounds over a year:

- Limit your weightlifting sessions to 90 minutes or so, after that cortisol levels will be elevated and you will no longer be anabolic (muscle building mode). So come to the gym with a plan and stick with it.
    - If you want to gain strength, lift in the 3-5 rep range. If you want size lift in the 8-12 rep range.
    - Muscles are formed in response to resistance, so progressively increase the amount of weight your are lifting. If you are a newbie, you can take advantage of about 6 months of newbie gains where you can add 5 pounds to your big lifts (bench, overhead press, deadlift, rows, and squats) each workout. It'll slow down after that. But if you don't increase resistance you won't add lean body mass.
    - Wipe down your equipment, and if you leave a copious amount of sweat be nice and use the disinfectant too.
    - Results come about 80% from diet, and 20% from what you do in the gym.
    - There is no such thing as toning. Muscle definition comes from size with low surrounding body fat. If you are looking to get a PT and they use toning in the first sentence of their sales pitch, avoid them.
    - If you don't need to pick the weight up and place it on your shoulders (like preparing for a squat, press, lunges, etc), then try to avoid using the squat rack if you are using weights that are lighter than the empty bar.
    - Make sure you do a good warm-up. I can deadlift 315 pounds, but I still warm up with 2 sets of 5 just with the bar alone. I may look weak, but I'm still injury-free.
    - Learn common weight parlance. 2 plate OHP = Overhead press with 2 plates on each side of the bar, totaling 225 pounds (yes you count the 45 pound bar).
    - Don't forget your lower body days. Believe it or not guys, women like a squat butt.
    - If you can't do a pull-up or dip with your body weight, use the assistance machine but still do negatives (meaning jump up to the bar, then go down as slowly as possible).
    - Watch form videos for your exercise before you do them for the first time.

- Putting a treadmill at 1.0 incline seems to better mimic street running. For me at least, 0.0 incline feels like running downhill. YMMV
    - Calories burned, according to the machine, can vary significantly compared to MFP values. Machines that take age, sex, and weight into account will be more accurate. A HRM will be even more accurate. You can make a difference on the treadmill just by holding onto the bar instead of swinging naturally, so imagine how non-specific those calorie readings can be.
    - If you can zone out and follow the CNN closed-captions reading while doing cardio, you're might not be pushing yourself hard enough.
    - If space/business permits, try to do at least 45 minutes of cardio.

- Even though I was lifting heavier weights and running longer distances, I really didn't see visible results until the end of the 2nd month, even with working out 3-4 times a week. You really have to promise yourself to keep with it at least 3 months if you want to see those big changes. Eventually friends and family will notice your improvement and will refill your motivation tank.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    And when you are done and in the shower room...

- don't leave your wet towels on the floor, the benches, or in the locker. Throw them in the bin where they belong.
    - don't leave the covers for your razors on the floor of the shower when I can step on them. Seriously.
    - do tell the staff on hand when the shower you just used is out of soap and shampoo.
    - don't show up on Monday, claim a locker for the entire week and leave your lock on there, and return on Friday to remove it. There are only so many lockers to go around. Share.
    - don't, (I'm begging you) weigh yourself buck naked. Your undies don't weigh that much. Put on a pair first.
  • emmyloulikenew
    Options
    I'm not an expert but what I've picked up over MFP includes:

1) Moderate your cardio appropriately - 5 minutes light walking on a treadmill isn't the same as 5 minutes going full pelt on the exercise bike. You'd be surprised how many people think so.

2) Strength training is beneficial - no matter your weight! My sister, for an example, thinks if she starts strength training she will just become "firmly flabby", whatever that's supposed to mean. Christ, you're building muscle and strength, not solidifying your fat!

3) Water, water, water. Yes, it can be a pain. I still commit the crime of not drinking enough some days, but it really is beneficial. You don't want to dehydrate during your workout, or not perform at your best. Plus, your skin will love you. Always take a bottle with you to the gym, or make regular trips to a water fountain.

4) Just because someone is looking at you doesn't automatically make them a pervert or a creep. (Sure, if you have a nice *kitten*, there's a better chance they actually are) but people are usually just curious or over observant in between workouts. I've lost count over the amount of times I end up glancing mindlessly at people just to see what they're doing, or what speed they running at, or how they use equipment, or generally because they're really attractive and I just can't help myself (my keyboard's typing by itself, I swear). But yeah, think about the possibilities before you make assumptions!

5) If you're in pain during a workout or using a piece of equipment, STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING. Ask someone for help, whether it's another gym user or a member of staff. Better to risk "embarrassment" and ask for help, then do yourself in and get an injury - on top of the worse embarrassment!

6) Gym buddies are fab! I have one myself, and it's great motivation because she's the same height as me, and we're both great in different areas so really egg each other on. However, it's not a social gathering (well, half and half) and most people are there to work and get in their zone. Don't spend all your time laughing and being obnoxious, or people are going to have a problem.

7) WIPE THE EQUIPMENT. As pretty as the added shine looks, nobody really wants to be mixing sweat with you when they have plenty of their own. Take a cloth with you, or snag a couple of paper towels once in a while, and be considerate to other people.

8) Choose activities/equipment that make your workout a pleasant one. Nobody likes the idea of taking 2 hours out of their day everyday to do something they hate, and plus this is your money you're paying, so the workout is what you make it. So make it a fun - and productive - one!

9) Eat according to your workouts. People forget, especially at 1,200 calorie deficits, that people have to eat more in order to eradicate the risk of burning themselves out during, particular high intensity, workouts. And even if you don't burn out, there's a much higher chance of not performing as best you could if you'd have eaten better for your body and not just for your mind.

There's a lot more out there, but like I said, I'm not an expert but just be observant and aware of other people around you. Make a gym experience as good for them as you're making for yourself, and everyone will be happy. Enjoy yourselves newbies, and keep at it. The results will show for your efforts. :)
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    make friends with the squat rack when you're ready.

don't take all the plates off one side of a bar ... alternate sides

(not a newbie but have gotten a lot out of this reading thru)
  • MGSR
    MGSR Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Some great advice on this thread :)
    I was always worried about people watching me but, in my gym at least, no one pays attention to each other as we're all there to work out :)
    And I have to figure out what to do about the wiping down the machines - for now, I just use my own towel. My gym uses Simple Green and I'm deathly allergic to it. Asthma, hives, etc etc etc. It SUCKS. So I get a lot of dirty looks because I just use my own towel. Sorry - not going back on prednisone. And yeah, I talked to management about it... I wash my paws religiously to help.

Maybe take a pack or wet wipes/ baby wipes to clean the machines? I don't think I'd want to use my towel after rubbing down a machine!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I hate to see people lifting weights that my 9-year old could lift. I KNOW you can lift more than that because you look bored and not at all like you're working. Stop wasting your time. You bought the membership, got dressed, and came to the gym. Go hard or go home!
    ^I hate people like this at the gym.

You are you, and I am not you, thank God. I have a bad spine and a bad heart. I'd rather look bored then end up in the hospital. I'm progressing, but very slowly. Come, give me advice, that's fine, but sitting there quietly thinking those things make me want to throw my bitty weights around.

Same goes with the cardio bunnies, some people have reasons for sticking to them, though I think a lot of people are afraid to go to the weight section. I find the people there stuck up. I was trying to find the sheets of paper our gym did out that you can record routines on and so I asked somebody writing on one. They didn't even reply. They gave me a sly look got up and walked away. I even waited until they were finished writing to ask.

Ask questions anyway, but be prepared for people with attitude problems, the gym seems to be full of them.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    make friends with the squat rack when you're ready.

don't take all the plates off one side of a bar ... alternate sides

(not a newbie but have gotten a lot out of this reading thru)

hahahah @ #2. A lot of people figured this out the hard way.

In a squat rack, about 90lbs on one side of the bar (two 45lb plates). Anything more will tip.
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

People look around when they're in between sets (if they're not dancing or playing with their phones), they're not necessarily creeping you. I mean, they *might be* creeping you, but it's not the only explanation if you catch eyes with someone. If it's me, I'm probably creeping you. :tongue:

Cracked me up haha but very true
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has already been said, but don't be afraid to try new classes. There are a variety for a reason - people like different things. You may love spinning while someone else loves Body Pump. Whatever gets you moving! :wink:

Heavy weights = heavy for YOU. But it usually also means more than 5lbs, ladies. Your purse weighs more than that. You're stronger than you think you are.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Most people won't volunteer their assistance, but are more than willing to help you if you ask.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd have to tell anybody this, but I encountered it this morning. Use headphones!! I do not want to hear your music or listen to you singing along at the top of your lungs! This is what happened this morning:

Creeper walks in with his PSP, playing Tool so loud that when he settles 4 treadmills down I can hear is music (and his singing along) over my own headphones.

Me: Excuse me, can you turn that down please? (me being nice and assuming maybe his headphones are broken, as long as I can't hear it I don't care)
    Creeper: No, it ain't bothering no one else
    Random Guy in the Corner: Actually, it is bothering us too.
    Creeper: Oh, sorry. I didnt' realize. *PULLS HEADPHONES FROM HIS POCKET AND PUTS THEM ON*

Seriously!! How rude!
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I hate to see people lifting weights that my 9-year old could lift. I KNOW you can lift more than that because you look bored and not at all like you're working. Stop wasting your time. You bought the membership, got dressed, and came to the gym. Go hard or go home!
    ^I hate people like this at the gym.

You are you, and I am not you, thank God. I have a bad spine and a bad heart. I'd rather look bored then end up in the hospital. I'm progressing, but very slowly. Come, give me advice, that's fine, but sitting there quietly thinking those things make me want to throw my bitty weights around.

Same goes with the cardio bunnies, some people have reasons for sticking to them, though I think a lot of people are afraid to go to the weight section. I find the people there stuck up. I was trying to find the sheets of paper our gym did out that you can record routines on and so I asked somebody writing on one. They didn't even reply. They gave me a sly look got up and walked away. I even waited until they were finished writing to ask.

Ask questions anyway, but be prepared for people with attitude problems, the gym seems to be full of them.

Agree..
  • FitLifeDiva
    FitLifeDiva Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great post