Half Marathon Training and Body Pump

Options
13»

Replies

• sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I'm looking to do a long run during the week either on Monday or Wednesday as those are days I tend to have as my kids are in school. Weekends are rough as I reserve those for family time and plus if my husband is traveling, which he does often, I don't have to find a babysitter for Saturday.

I'm just trying to figure out this Hal Higdon novice 1 vs novice 2. What about strength training? Body pump or something more low key 1-2x a week?

Sorry for all the questions but first i'm nervous and second i'm trying to find a good plan that will help me build back up my miles and endurance.

Off topic but how do you quote someone just so you could reply to that post?

First, to quote you will see to the far lower right of someones response as "Reply/Quote" Hit quote and then type below that.

Second, it is ok to be nervous and ask questions, that is how you learn. I was not done being nervous until I crossed the finish line. :) For your first 1/2 and since you need to build your base back up, stick with Novice 1. Novice 2 is a little more advanced with speed work etc.

You can still strength train, there is no issue with that. Strength train on your days scheduled for cross training. I am not real familiar with body pump but it sounds like it would be ok once a week or so.

it is totally ok to be nervous I was nervous after my first and I'm estremly nervous for my second (end of January!) That nervous part is one of the reasons racing is so much fun! I don't really like to run, but I love the excitment of races :) I would really take your cross training rest days easy...a good strength training for your cross training days then REST on your Rest Days...after you get your first half under your belt I think you can cross train more (at least I am now :)
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES that is good!

I ran a marathon on 23rd december and got a personal best time. In the pst I have suffered from injuries and niggles from running "too much" (too much for what my body likes)

so this time i COMPLETELY revamped my training and focussed on ONE RUN per week : the long run (where you increase your mileage every week) then the other workouts were in the gym focusing on leg and bum strength and making my legs hurt (so they get used to lactate/acid) - I did body pump once a week and also spinning.

I wouldn't recommend doing these sessions back to back as you will basically work less hard in the second one and you might as well just do one class hard. but 2 days apart is fine. Seriously, go for it!
  • letjog
    Options
    I just can't emphasise enough how unnecessary it is to run 4-5 times a week, especially when you're new to running - even 3 times a week is a lot for your muscles to take in. Note how all the 'helpful' other posters recommend X, Y or Z then throw in that they got an injury doing this, but hey, they finished. Strength work in the gym is SO helpful to running and you will feel less ache in your legs if your legs are stronger. If you get shin splints it's because you're running too much. I'm sorry but it's true. This marathon is the first that I've not got shin splints (I've also had 2 stress fractures in my tibia as a result of shin splints) and it's because I cut down on the pointless mid week junk running miles and converted to low impact strength and lactate work in the gym.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I agree with Letjog. 3 times a week is plenty wthone longish run.

I weight train two days a week also. One of my issues is when to do legs.

Monday weights
    Tuesday run
    Wednesday weights
    Thursday run
    Friday rest
    Saturday longgish run
    Sunday rest.

Can't do legs with upper body on Mon Wed becasue it impairs next day's run. Can't do it on Friday before long run on Saturday.

For many years i figured running was sufficient and weight training for quads, hamstrings, calves, etc was not necessary, but having done it once or twice it does make a dfference running. How do you all handle weight traning for legs?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Monday weights
    Tuesday run
    Wednesday weights
    Thursday run
    Friday rest
    Saturday longgish run
    Sunday rest.

Can't do legs with upper body on Mon Wed becasue it impairs next day's run. Can't do it on Friday before long run on Saturday.

For many years i figured running was sufficient and weight training for quads, hamstrings, calves, etc was not necessary, but having done it once or twice it does make a dfference running. How do you all handle weight traning for legs?

I make the day after slow jog in Recovery HR zone. Just good enough to get blood flow.
    But train the muscles for burning fat.

Then that longish run is Aerobic zone, unless I just increased the distance pretty good, then recovery zone again.

Actually, I prefer to proceed one of the lifting days in aerobic zone run. That doesn't tire them out so much, and you can still get a serious lift out of them on the next day. Then rest day. Then lift day. Then recovery zone run.
  • letjog
    Options
    I didn't plan so well. Because I'm a doctor and work long hours most weekends I'd be doing my 18-20miler on the Saturday then doing body pump the next morning. I tired easier in pump the next morning but told myself working tired muscles was good for them... didn't get any injuries and didn't hit the wall during the marathon but probably could have done with a rest day! lol.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I just can't emphasise enough how unnecessary it is to run 4-5 times a week, especially when you're new to running - even 3 times a week is a lot for your muscles to take in. Note how all the 'helpful' other posters recommend X, Y or Z then throw in that they got an injury doing this, but hey, they finished. Strength work in the gym is SO helpful to running and you will feel less ache in your legs if your legs are stronger. If you get shin splints it's because you're running too much. I'm sorry but it's true. This marathon is the first that I've not got shin splints (I've also had 2 stress fractures in my tibia as a result of shin splints) and it's because I cut down on the pointless mid week junk running miles and converted to low impact strength and lactate work in the gym.

Maybe you should throughly read before being so condescending. Those of us who stated we got injured warned the OP on injuring themself by overtraining and to back off on doing so much. But hey your a doctor, you know all.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Edited.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It's a great question. I am doing Group Power/Body Pump also as well as some other weight training. I also ride, swim & do yoga. Finding it very difficult to get in the training regimen for the 1/2 marathon that my running club promotes. I am just taking it slower and doing as much as I can. I will eventually get there, but I'm not giving up the weight training or biking for sure.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I plan to do body pump which works your legs plenty. Sometimes I just can't do another set because my legs are about to give out.
  • bsmith404
    Options

Maybe you should throughly read before being so condescending. Those of us who stated we got injured warned the OP on injuring themself by overtraining and to back off on doing so much. But hey your a doctor, you know all.

I agree! Everyone has been super helpful and actually telling me to take it easy and even explaining how they got hurt by overtraining. When I got shin splints i'm not going to lie, I was overtraining for a 10k and only had so many weeks and then realized I wasn't ready so I didn't do the 10k. I did one a couple of weeks later and learned my lesson to not overtrain.
  • bsmith404
    Options

Monday weights
    Tuesday run
    Wednesday weights
    Thursday run
    Friday rest
    Saturday longgish run
    Sunday rest.

So should you rest the day before and after a long run? I was thinking of resting the day after but doing 30minutes of cross training the day before which is what Hal Higdon recommends but I've been trying to see if people rest the day after and before or one or the other.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Most successful distance runners do a short recovery run, or cross train the day after.

In terms of the good doc's view, I'd say it's not one held by the vast majority of distance runners. To train well for your half you have a bit of a balancing act ahead of you. You don't want to overtrain and risk injury but you do need to put the miles in to build the strength and endurance needed for the half.

I'd stick with your plan. Follow Higdon. His plan is solid, well researched, and includes strength building.

Of course I'm not a md, so can't put that little 'trust me I'm an expert in a mostly unrelated field' claim in there.
  • meerkat70
    Options

I plan to do body pump which works your legs plenty. Sometimes I just can't do another set because my legs are about to give out.
    [/quote]

It definitely does, and it helps with injury prevention. (This is well evidenced in research.)

You'll be fine with pump, or do some good compound lifts. Twice a week is plenty. Just don't do it too close to your long training run. I've never fund lifting to interfere with my running
  • bsmith404
    Options
    Ok so let me know what you think of my training plan (hal higdon novice 1):

This is based off the first week on the plan. I'm actually doing smaller miles these next two weeks since I have 14 weeks and not 12. I will start this exact schedule in two weeks but the first two weeks i'll be basically subracting a mile from this plan to get me running several times a week again.

sat: easy run (2miles)
    sun: rest
    mon: run (3miles) plus body pump
    tues: 30 minutes cross training
    wednes: long run (4miles)
    thurs: body pump
    fri: run (3mile)

Thoughts???
  • LBorchers40
    LBorchers40 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for a 1/2 in Feb. My routine is like clock work each week...
    Monday- 45 min run/walk intervals
    Tuesday-30 cross training of any sort (cycling,yoga,zumba,eliptical,swimming)
    Wednesday-Rest
    Thursday-45 min run/walk intervals
    Friday-30 min cross training of any sort (cycling,yoga,zumba,eliptical,swimming)
    Saturday- Long runs each week I increase mileage so this week I am running 6 next week 7 next week I go back down to 4 then 8 then 12, 8, 5, and the day before my race 20 min muscle warmer jog.

You really want to increase your mileage becuase 13.1 is a long way from 2 miles. You will hit a wall very quickly. I have swapped out some of my running for eliptical becuase I have been having some issues with my IT band.
    Good luck! What race are you running?
  • bsmith404
    Options
    I am currently training for a 1/2 in Feb. My routine is like clock work each week...
    Monday- 45 min run/walk intervals
    Tuesday-30 cross training of any sort (cycling,yoga,zumba,eliptical,swimming)
    Wednesday-Rest
    Thursday-45 min run/walk intervals
    Friday-30 min cross training of any sort (cycling,yoga,zumba,eliptical,swimming)
    Saturday- Long runs each week I increase mileage so this week I am running 6 next week 7 next week I go back down to 4 then 8 then 12, 8, 5, and the day before my race 20 min muscle warmer jog.

You really want to increase your mileage becuase 13.1 is a long way from 2 miles. You will hit a wall very quickly. I have swapped out some of my running for eliptical becuase I have been having some issues with my IT band.
    Good luck! What race are you running?

What plan are you following? This was suggested by Hal Higdon which several people have recommended to me on this site. My long runs go from 4miles and it increases 1 mile every week where the other runs are going to be no longer than 5miles. My last long run is 11miles. Hal Higdon plan has 10miles as the longest run but people have said to make it at least 11. I have no idea what i'm doing. I love to run but I don't usually follow plans unless it's a 10k and those have worked great. This is my first half so i'm taking all advice I can get well not everyone's but people are pretty consitent.

You also do run/walk intervals. How is that doing for you? I could never walk in the middle of a run. I felt like it was harder to pick up again.