Don't get too fit or you can be fired!

Options

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Her termination went beyond merely being fit,
    There were other factors like both parties texting each other outside work and engaging in sexual innuendo.
    When his wife found out, she demanded the employee be fired.
    A job is not an entitlement, and a business is not a social service. If my wife found out I was texting the maid and such, the maid would be GONE!
    Such is life....

Funny, if I found out my guy was hitting on the maid, HE would be gone, not the maid. But I guess there are a lot of people in the world who are willing to put up with partners who disrespect them and their relationship. And (apparently) a lot of people who think it is OK for a man to have no self control around other women when he is supposed to be in a monogamous relationship.

I love this. Thank you - I really don't get some women and the way they can treat other women or blame them for their husband/boyfriends issues. It would not be fair to fire a maid because your husband flirted with her.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    http://www.catholic.org/hf/family/story.php?id=49066

This article says she wore standard scrubs, but he said they were tight so he got aroused when he looked at her.

Another article says he texted her asking her how often she orgasmed.

This article says she wore long sleeved or short sleeved t shirts and scrubs:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/iowa-court-oks-firing-female-worker-irresistibly-attractive-article-1.1226068

(All this aside, I think my views are summed up by another article: Just because something is lawful doesn't make it right. By the law, I think the decision was lawful, though I'm not fond of "at will" employment. While an employee can technically leave at any time, if they don't give notice, there are consequences including sacrificing vacation time and future bad references, while there are little to no consequences for an employer to let someone go at any time.)
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    There were other factors like both parties texting each other outside work and engaging in sexual innuendo.
    A job is not an entitlement, and a business is not a social service. If my wife found out I was texting the maid and such, the maid would be GONE!
    Such is life....

Funny, if I found out my guy was hitting on the maid, HE would be gone, not the maid. But I guess there are a lot of people in the world who are willing to put up with partners who disrespect them and their relationship. And (apparently) a lot of people who think it is OK for a man to have no self control around other women when he is supposed to be in a monogamous relationship.

^^^ THIS!!! ^^^ Why are most women so quick to attack each other rather than the true source of the trouble???
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I would say that due to the employee's blatant non-compliance to rules set by her employer

Where do you see this?

Exactly! And she wore scrubs!!!!! Her scrubs were to attractive? Pa-lease!
    Where in the article did it say she wore scrubs?

lolololol draaaaaaaaama!!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Such is life....

^^^ THIS!!! ^^^ Why are most women so quick to attack each other rather than the true source of the trouble???

Don't *kitten* where you eat, and don't sleep where you work. It's normal for business to have policies against co workers dating, and when they're found out the one that's either the least valuable or the higher legally risky is fired. Since he owns the business or is the bigger revenue driver he was maintained. This is normal business practice when there is an affair in a business environment. It's not just a matter of being attractive, it's a matter of everyone keeping their pants on.
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    The article keeps clarifying that the firing was not gender discrimination but based on uncontrollable attraction. If it had been a very attractive man who was his assistant, there would not have been an issue. That, my friends, is most definitely gender discrimination. Why is it that we never hear about men being fired for being attractive. It mentions nowhere that she wore revealing or provocative clothing. Also, was he called in question about his work attire due to his "bulging pants?" Seriously?

For all of you ladies out there that are arguing that the lady deserved to be fired because she was being too provocative, you are probably the type of women who spur this kind of behaviour in men on. Women who can no longer satisfy their husbands and get all bent out of shape every time their husband is around a pretty woman. Most of the time it is the fault of their husband because he can't keep his @!ck in his pants. Seriously! WTF?!?! Ladies, hold your men accountable or find another man who isn't so easily provoked.

I've been the brunt of this type of discrimination and I dress very modestly at work. Fortunately I quit that company before they fired me and found a job that is way better and pays me three times what they paid me. Not every woman who is discriminated against gets so lucky.

The article also mentioned innapropriate texting. Now in my experience, if an issue arises out of flirtation between two parties, the superior is the one that is supposed to be held accountable.
  • CrystalZ2012
    CrystalZ2012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If she had a right to wear it, then he had a right to fire her. Isn't that what democracy is all about? Didn't we fight for equal rights?

Exactly.

She was asked to wear less provocative clothing. She didn't, that's a fact that both sides agreed on.

*shrugs* The dentist showed restraint and self control in that he chose to fire his assistant rather than attempt to get in her pants. I commend the man. He understood what his weakness is and avoided it, just like I don't keep ice cream in my freezer any longer, lol!

And yes, psfr, you can fire someone for having a different religion or belief than you do. About 10 years ago a Muslim boss successfully fired his employee for repeatedly eating BLT sandwiches at her desk. Pork is against their religion, and they asked her to stop and she didn't.

It's called a democracy. It's called capitalism and freedom to believe what you want. Private business owners have a different set of rules than government workers.
    I agree that if she is breaking dress code, than he has a right to fire her. The article shows he took issue with her tight clothing and she refused to change that. I don't think its necessary to wear clothes so tight that you can tell if a dime in your pocket is heads or tails. There are plenty of classy ways to dress and show off your killer body.

However, I doubt this guy's marriage is going to last. If his wife demands he fire every woman who dresses in tight clothing, than there might be issues of trust going on. If she has a reason not to trust him, than eventually he's going to cheat anyway. If there is no reason for her to act like that, he's gonna get sick of it and not want to stick around.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Such is life....

Don't *kitten* where you eat, and don't sleep where you work. It's normal for business to have policies against co workers dating, and when they're found out the one that's either the least valuable or the higher legally risky is fired. Since he owns the business or is the bigger revenue driver he was maintained. This is normal business practice when there is an affair in a business environment. It's not just a matter of being attractive, it's a matter of everyone keeping their pants on.

So... the moment a coworker is attracted to another coworker one of the coworkers has to get fired? What the hell?!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

I agree that if she is breaking dress code, than he has a right to fire her. The article shows he took issue with her tight clothing and she refused to change that. I don't think its necessary to wear clothes so tight that you can tell if a dime in your pocket is heads or tails. There are plenty of classy ways to dress and show off your killer body.

Where are you reading this refusal to change her clothing? Where is the evidence that it actually broke dress code? That wasn't even the reason she was dismissed. I feel as if I am missing something because of everyone saying her clothing was so provocative. A man getting an erection from a nice looking woman is not evidence of sexually inappropriate behavior. He fired her due to his feelings, not her dress. He feared he would have an affair with her (because she obviously has no say in that) and asked her about her orgasms and sex life. I didn't read anything that suggested her patients were complaining, just that he grew more and more attracted to her and couldn't deal with it.

Would people be making the same assumptions about the employee's dress if the employee had been male and the dentist gay? "You know your outfit is too inappropriate when I have a bulge in my pants."
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Such is life....

So... the moment a coworker is attracted to another coworker one of the coworkers has to get fired? What the hell?!

If I'm understanding the situation correctly it had at least started in the direction of an inappropriate relationship that both were participating in. Text messages back and forth, not just from him to her. If it was directional it would have been harassment but it wasn't. The situation had to come to a head. In most relationships you simply break up but when you're the boss and the other person isn't its just not that simple. It seems as though it wasn't just a matter of his attraction to her, but a situation where it became more that a boss and subordinate and didn't qualify for sexual harassment despite what would seem to be highly inappropriate behavior on his part (talking about his "bulge").
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Such is life....

I love this. Thank you - I really don't get some women and the way they can treat other women or blame them for their husband/boyfriends issues. It would not be fair to fire a maid because your husband flirted with her.
    You are 100% correct!
    That's the action of a secure person; however, the legality of the termination is not effected.
  • jascat83
    Options
    http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/12/27/yelp-users-slam-dentist-who-fired-his-assistant-for-being-irresistible/?test=latestnews

Some quotes from the article:

"Melissa Nelson, a 32-year-old married mother of two, had worked for James Knight for 10 years, and he considered her a stellar worker. But in the final months of her employment, he complained that her tight clothing was distracting -- once telling her that if his pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing, according to the Supreme Court opinion."

and

"On Dec. 21, the court ruled 7-0 that bosses can fire employees they see as an "irresistible attraction," even if the employees have not engaged in flirtatious behavior or otherwise done anything wrong."

Actually, according to ninemsn.com.au website, it was his WIFE that ordered him to sack her - it wasn't his idea. She thought that the assistant was a threat to their marriage after she found text msgs exchanged between the husband and the assistant...
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    Everyone keeps talking about a dress code, but nowhere does it say that she broke dress code or that there was even such a dress code in existence. I often see women who are unattractive, large, or lacking in curves walk around with cleavage, tight clothing, or nipples showing through their clothing and nobody says anything but the minute a woman who is naturally curvy walks around in the same clothes, they are harrassed or bashed. I agree that employees need to stick to a dress code, but if there is a dress code, it needs to be equally enforced amongst all employees whether they are a man, woman, large, small, ugly, or attractive.

Apparently the judges ruled according to the letter of the law, but I say that if that is the case we need to be working to get that f@#%ing stupid law changed.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love browsing through social issue threads and seeing what opinions different people on the boards have.

Funny that a few of the people who I've seen give bad fitness and nutrition advice are also the ones who completely miss the ideas of sexual harassment, office power dynamics, and personal responsibility in being able to keep it in your pants.

Dumb is dumb all around I guess. Makes me giggle.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I am sickened by the amount of women that think this is ok!!! This makes me SO MAD. Honestly, if you can't control your urges around attractive women, perhaps you shouldn't be allowed in public at all. What if he has attractive patients? What if his next door neighbor is attractive? I don't care if a woman is walking down the street in lingerie...if you don't have the self control to stay away, you really shouldn't' be married. I hate people that think that men can't control their sexual urges and we're the ones that are supposed to protect their marriage by wearing a potato sack. Seriously, this guy is a complete jerk. To me, the real story is that he wanted her, she was naive and thought it was all jokes, then his wife found out and ordered that she be fired. This guy is full of crap.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options
    I am sickened by the amount of women that think this is ok!!! This makes me SO MAD. Honestly, if you can't control your urges around attractive women, perhaps you shouldn't be allowed in public at all. What if he has attractive patients? What if his next door neighbor is attractive? I don't care if a woman is walking down the street in lingerie...if you don't have the self control to stay away, you really shouldn't' be married. I hate people that think that men can't control their sexual urges and we're the ones that are supposed to protect their marriage by wearing a potato sack. Seriously, this guy is a complete jerk. To me, the real story is that he wanted her, she was naive and thought it was all jokes, then his wife found out and ordered that she be fired. This guy is full of crap.
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS
    The guy is a weak man, and his wife is an insecure woman...
    ...but again, this does not effect the legality of the termination.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Hellooooooo rape culture. Same premise as "well she shouldn't have been so drunk or worn that tight dress"/ "she was asking for it" logic.

And yes. It does affect the legality of the termination. Because you can't just fire someone because you want to *kitten* them. End of story.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

And yes. It does effect the legality of the termination. Because you can't just fire someone because you want to *kitten* them. End of story.

Unfortunately you can in at will state. No reason, bad reason, doesn't matter.

I don't think the wife is insecure though. Her husband told the other woman's husband that he thought he'd have an affair with her. I understand the wife's fears. Her solution was just a bandaid though and won't address the cause of the bleeding.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Options

Hellooooooo rape culture. Same premise as "well she shouldn't have been so drunk or worn that tight dress"/ "she was asking for it" logic.

And yes. It does effect the legality of the termination. Because you can't just fire someone because you want to *kitten* them. End of story.
    Wrong...in this case, according to the court decision.
    They have the final word on legality - all we have are opinions.
    Don't get me wrong...I think it's a terrible situation all around.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Well if you work in a gym like I do, then the tighter the better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
This discussion has been closed.