Views on Whole Food Plant based diet?

Options

Replies

• Kendall_Lauren
    Kendall_Lauren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is actually a common myth that animal protein is superior, protein from plant sources are just as good (if not better than) as from animal sources and don't come with all the cholesterol and bad-fats that animal products do...
    It is not a myth, it is a fact. Vegetable base protein bio-availability is much, much lower.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7151/if-youre-vegan-how-do-you-get-enough-protein.html Great article on protein and plant based diets.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    It is actually a common myth that animal protein is superior, protein from plant sources are just as good (if not better than) as from animal sources and don't come with all the cholesterol and bad-fats that animal products do...
    I guess the plant based trans fats and refined vegetable oils like soy and safflower that are extremely high in omega 6's, which are pro inflammatory and cause free radical damage which are plant based, and found in abundance in the Standard American Diet have nothing to do with the health of that demograhic. Also cholesterol is something the body actually needs and even when a person doesn't consume any cholesterol the body (liver) makes about 1000mg's a day to top up the approx 35,000 mg's we have in our body. If your saying that animal cholesterol is unhealthy, your saying cholesterol is unhealthy.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have read so many actual scientific studies on this stuff. It isn't even a question. There is no question about it. You can get adequate protein as vegan only through taking very expensive vegan protein powders. Outside of that, you need animal sourced protein. A veg can do it, but they need dairy and eggs. On a regular basis.
  • Kendall_Lauren
    Kendall_Lauren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm out, I'm not interested in arguing with you guys.
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Since I changed my diet to a low-fat, whole food, plant-based diet, I have lost over 80 pounds. I was highly motivated to eliminate animal products from my diet, and since doing so I have felt so much better. I won't go back.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you eat like a typical American, then yes, you probably would be healthier if you ate less meat, dairy, and processed foods and ate more vegetables, fruits, and whole foods. I do not think you have to go 100% to see at least some benefit--for many people any improvement in your diet is likely to result in improvements in health, especially if you keep making small improvements over time. One small change, then another, and another adds up! If you are interested, there are many cookbooks (including a Forks Over Knives cookbook) that you may find useful in learning to prepare more healthful foods. I'm a really big fan of Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz--it has a lot of fast, relatively easy, plant based recipes. Her work does include things like small amounts of oil, which might not pass muster with some of the hard-core whole foods people, but her recipes are good, and accessible, so if nothing else, they provide a starting place for people who want something fast and easy, that is also generally low fat and completely plant based.

Another simple place to start is to eat one big salad (with a simple dressing, like olive oil and lemon juice) once a day, or to start your morning with a fruit smoothie.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I forgot, the FDA wants to kill me.
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I forgot, the FDA wants to kill me.

Actually, the FDA is extremely corrupt. Meat, dairy, corn and soy are subsidized by the government. Fruits and vegetables are not.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The only real quality protein is from animal sources… some merit, of course, but we need animal sourced protein. Most Americans can do with less. I am just partway through the film… but I will remark more throughout probably..

'Always' statements are rarely true, such as: "The only real quality protein is from animal sources.'
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I was a vegan for a time, and a vegetarian for over 4 years besides. I bought into the health-nut BS, and when I first got into working out, I started to actually study nutrition from a science view. I learned that I had been promoting quackery. I felt like an a**hole. I truly believed the health-nut trash I spewed, but it was lies. I was just ignorant, and following these self proclaimed health gurus. Yes, eat veggies, eat fruit, eat whole grains, get hormone free meat and dairy. They are all part of a well rounded, holistic diet. We are not herbivore animals. We are not carnivore animals. We are, however, omnivore animals. We are designed as such.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    The only real quality protein is from animal sources… some merit, of course, but we need animal sourced protein. Most Americans can do with less. I am just partway through the film… but I will remark more throughout probably..

'Always' statements are rarely true, such as: "The only real quality protein is from animal sources.'
    It is true. Sure, soy, quinoa, amaranth, hemp seed all have complete protein. True. Quality, bioavailable protein, not so much. Isolated, can these proteins replace animal base protein? Sure. But that is not in the realm of non- wealthy peoples reality.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you are able to hit your nutritional goals and are happy and satiated, then eat whatever the hell you want.
  • _VoV
    Options
    I was a vegan for a time, and a vegetarian for over 4 years besides. I bought into the health-nut BS, and when I first got into working out, I started to actually study nutrition from a science view. I learned that I had been promoting quackery. I felt like an a**hole. I truly believed the health-nut trash I spewed, but it was lies. I was just ignorant, and following these self proclaimed health gurus. Yes, eat veggies, eat fruit, eat whole grains, get hormone free meat and dairy. They are all part of a well rounded, holistic diet. We are not herbivore animals. We are not carnivore animals. We are, however, omnivore animals. We are designed as such.

I'm glad you figured things out for yourself, emphasis on 'self.'
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Eat Clean Diet" book by Tosca Reno. No, it's not a diet plan, or a fad thing. It just explains pretty simply about eating clean, cutting out processed things, and getting all of our necessary nutrients. It's a great read!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

source?
  • _VoV
    Options

It is true. Sure, soy, quinoa, amaranth, hemp seed all have complete protein. True. Quality, bioavailable protein, not so much. Isolated, can these proteins replace animal base protein? Sure. But that is not in the realm of non- wealthy peoples reality.

Okay. Be happy in your certitude.
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    After watching "forks over knives", we've gone about 90% vegan...my husband does much better than I do! Anyway, we use the soy protein for multiple things and you really can't tell the difference between that and ground meat...so much so, that I made dinner for co-workers with strict dietary habits and they asked several times if I was sure I didn't use meat! I'm not sure enough of the soy protein to know if a person, for health reasons, would need to avoid soy products how to entirely substitute with things like beans, nuts, etc....nearly the only actual meat source protein we have on occasion (not counting for me, some eggs or cheese which is not vegan)... Is buffalo. I do give some instruction to patients about greatly restricting animal based proteins, but it mostly falls on deaf ears because generally poor dietary habits are what got them to me in the first place, and frankly, they don't want to make the tough changes necessary
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

can you explain how I bought 2lbs of quinoa for $4.50 then? When I used to buy meat, a pound of lean ground beef was that price or higher which yields way fewer servings than the same price I paid for 2lbs of quinoa..
  • katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I’ve been interested in limiting meat in my diet for a long time. I’m a pescetarian (a vegetarian who occasionally eats fish) but many of my meals are vegan. Most credible articles I’ve found indicates that getting adequate protein is not a problem with a well balanced diet of any kind, but certain vitamins and calcium may be harder to get in a plant based diet.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/5/1627S.short

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=814540
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I’ve been interested in limiting meat in my diet for a long time. I’m a pescetarian (a vegetarian who occasionally eats fish) but many of my meals are vegan. Most credible articles I’ve found indicates that getting adequate protein is not a problem with a well balanced diet of any kind, but certain vitamins and calcium may be harder to get in a plant based diet.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/5/1627S.short

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=814540

vegan calcium

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.php