Views on Whole Food Plant based diet?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    The only real quality protein is from animal sources… some merit, of course, but we need animal sourced protein. Most Americans can do with less. I am just partway through the film… but I will remark more throughout probably..

'Always' statements are rarely true, such as: "The only real quality protein is from animal sources.'
    It is true. Sure, soy, quinoa, amaranth, hemp seed all have complete protein. True. Quality, bioavailable protein, not so much. Isolated, can these proteins replace animal base protein? Sure. But that is not in the realm of non- wealthy peoples reality.

can you explain how I bought 2lbs of quinoa for $4.50 then? When I used to buy meat, a pound of lean ground beef was that price or higher which yields way fewer servings than the same price I paid for 2lbs of quinoa..
    100 g's of cooked quinoa has 4 g's of protein and around 20 g's of carbs about 120 calories, so really it's a carb source not a protein source. 100g's of tilapia has 20 g's of protein and a plate full of vegetables will still be about the same amount of calories. How much quinoa would be the equivalent........just over a lb with 600 calories.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    The only real quality protein is from animal sources… some merit, of course, but we need animal sourced protein. Most Americans can do with less. I am just partway through the film… but I will remark more throughout probably..

'Always' statements are rarely true, such as: "The only real quality protein is from animal sources.'
    It is true. Sure, soy, quinoa, amaranth, hemp seed all have complete protein. True. Quality, bioavailable protein, not so much. Isolated, can these proteins replace animal base protein? Sure. But that is not in the realm of non- wealthy peoples reality.

can you explain how I bought 2lbs of quinoa for $4.50 then? When I used to buy meat, a pound of lean ground beef was that price or higher which yields way fewer servings than the same price I paid for 2lbs of quinoa..
    100 g's of cooked quinoa has 4 g's of protein and around 20 g's of carbs about 120 calories, so really it's a carb source not a protein source. 100g's of tilapia has 20 g's of protein and a plate full of vegetables will still be about the same amount of calories. How much quinoa would be the equivalent........just over a lb with 600 calories.

Who needs an absurd amount of protein? I also don't need the fat from the fish thanks, not to mention the grossness of how it tastes. Also since when are carbs bad guys?
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    People worry so much about protein, but kwashiorkor is rare in the United States.

I personally survived the most demanding of all nutritional challenges: pregnancy. Twice. I did it without eating meat once throughout both pregnancies, and my protein-balance was excellent. So, my point is this: vegetarian protein is of good quality, and more than adequate for most people.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I watched the film. It does show more than just their own view, and that was good. As many of my other posts show, I think that plant based food is extremely important. This uses terms like "innocent slaughter of animals for food" and similar statements that show it's agenda. But, I do not agree with the vegan lifestyle. It is just as unhealthy as the SAD diet. I sometimes do vegan fasts, and juice fasts. Part of it is physical health, part spiritual health. Overall, I think that this is a very valid film, and that it could only be good for thinking people to watch. I posted the link to the film in my first post in this thread. It is free on Hulu. So, I do urge everyone to watch it, but realize there is an agenda. I commend the fact that they show, although slightly, other views.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I’ve been interested in limiting meat in my diet for a long time. I’m a pescetarian (a vegetarian who occasionally eats fish) but many of my meals are vegan. Most credible articles I’ve found indicates that getting adequate protein is not a problem with a well balanced diet of any kind, but certain vitamins and calcium may be harder to get in a plant based diet.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/5/1627S.short

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=814540
    I want to get to this, unless I start hunting. Or, maybe go to this except for when I hunt! It is hard to get good, healthy fish without spending a ton of cash, though… So, it is chicken thighs for me right now!!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm out, I'm not interested in arguing with you guys.
    I forgot, the FDA wants to kill me.

Rally? A reasonable vegan doesn't want to lock horns with a 'my way is the only way' meat eater, and your only response is this? She wasn't rude to you, she wasn't strident about her veganism. She bowed out because, in common with many vegetarians and vegans, she's likely tired of endlessly defending her lifestyle choices.

So precisely why did you choose to be insulting?
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I apologized to her for being a smart *kitten*.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It's the diet I'm on and I'm loving it! Never had so much strength and energy in my life.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

Seriously are you trying to compare tilapia to quinoa? Lol if you want to talk about protein try comparing any kind of fish to Spirulina. Compare it by weight. Spirulina will nutritionally backhand any of your favorite meat products. You want to talk about Omega 3 fatty acids? Do you know what they are? That's right Spirulina, chlorella and wheatgrass juice all contain more omega 3's than fish and eggs. The eggs with the highest amount of Omega 3's are the eggs from free range hens that were fed lots of greens more than grains. You can't debate health and nutrition with a vegan. You won't find any meat products with more vitamin C and antioxidants than Noni. There's no meat in the world with more antioxidants than pomegranate, noni, mangosteen, acai berries, goji berries, green tea, matcha etc.. You might fool other people that don't know much about the vegan diet but you won't fool me or others that have given it a try and felt the results.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for a time, and a vegetarian for over 4 years besides. I bought into the health-nut BS, and when I first got into working out, I started to actually study nutrition from a science view. I learned that I had been promoting quackery. I felt like an a**hole. I truly believed the health-nut trash I spewed, but it was lies. I was just ignorant, and following these self proclaimed health gurus. Yes, eat veggies, eat fruit, eat whole grains, get hormone free meat and dairy. They are all part of a well rounded, holistic diet. We are not herbivore animals. We are not carnivore animals. We are, however, omnivore animals. We are designed as such.

Spot on! Thanks!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for two years at the end of which my cholesterol and triglycerides ended up crazy high. (300+/1500+) It was the last thing in the world I was expecting because I thought I was eating healthy. I got put on cholesterol meds immediately but also went back to eating meat at the same time. Fast forward a half dozen years I finally figured out portions and everything came into line on it's own- weight and lab work. Now I eat pretty much everything and am off cholesterol medicine with my doctors blessing. I can't speak on anything aside from my personal experience but I did not find a plant based diet to be beneficial.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for two years at the end of which my cholesterol and triglycerides ended up crazy high. (300+/1500+) It was the last thing in the world I was expecting because I thought I was eating healthy. I got put on cholesterol meds immediately but also went back to eating meat at the same time. Fast forward a half dozen years I finally figured out portions and everything came into line on it's own- weight and lab work. Now I eat pretty much everything and am off cholesterol medicine with my doctors blessing. I can't speak on anything aside from my personal experience but I did not find a plant based diet to be beneficial.

Unfortunately some vegetarians eat lot's of eggs and chicken and they end up with high cholesterol. I'm glad to hear you got it under control, keep up the good work
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Erm. No vegetarian eats chicken....
  • neanderthin
    Options

Seriously are you trying to compare tilapia to quinoa? Lol if you want to talk about protein try comparing any kind of fish to Spirulina. Compare it by weight. Spirulina will take nutritional ****s on any of your favorite meat products. You wanna talj about Omega 3 fatty aacids? Do you know what they are? That's right Spirulina, chlorella and wheatgrass juice all contain more omefa 3's than fish and eggs. The eggs with the highest amount of Omega 3's are the eggs from free range hens that were fed lots of greens more than grains. You can't debate health and nutrition with a vegan. You won't win. A healthy vegan diet is the healthiest diet, period!
    Since they were discussing protein, yes I was serious, and the poster unsuccessfully deflected the argument away with, we don't need that much protein, which has nothing to do with the comparison, and then asked why people think carbs are bad, who is saying they are?.....really don't know what to say about that defense.

As far as omega 3's and the vegan diet are concerned, that's pretty much traveled ground, so it's hard to to understand what your trying to say, and considering I can't debate health and nutrition with a vegan, I guess you'll have the unconditional right to misinform the general population and only discuss it with your fellow vegans, is that right? That must also be the reason I didn't get a response to this in another thread:
    Thank you and yes my mom has lost weight. It's nicely reflected on her face. I don't track my vitamins anf minerals or my calories. That's another good thing about being vegan you don't have to worry about sugars or calories or saturated fats, trans fats etc..

Glad your mom is feeling better. What do you mean you don't have to worry about sugar, calories, saturated fat or trans fats, those are all found in a vegan diet?

Maybe you can enlighten all of us with an answer....I'm sure all vegans would like to know the answer to this one, as well.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I've always found it hard to understand why some meat eaters feel the need to be so routinely aggressive to vegetarians.
    In my life, I've never had the inclination to tell a meat eater how to eat, or challenged them on their choices. And yet I'm frequently asked to defend mine, and am expected to tolerate dumb comments about screaming carrots.

Regarding vegetarianism as a'healthier' diet:

I can eat healthily as a vege, I can eat poorly as a vege. Just like omnivores.

I pretty much never struggle with my protein, because I give it sufficient thought. I've never been anaemic. I'm overweight because I eat too much - mostly too much sugar. I have this in common with most of the overweight omnivores I know.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

Seriously are you trying to compare tilapia to quinoa? Lol if you want to talk about protein try comparing any kind of fish to Spirulina. Compare it by weight. Spirulina will take nutritional ****s on any of your favorite meat products. You wanna talj about Omega 3 fatty aacids? Do you know what they are? That's right Spirulina, chlorella and wheatgrass juice all contain more omefa 3's than fish and eggs. The eggs with the highest amount of Omega 3's are the eggs from free range hens that were fed lots of greens more than grains. You can't debate health and nutrition with a vegan. You won't win. A healthy vegan diet is the healthiest diet, period!
    Since they were discussing protein, yes I was serious, and the poster unsuccessfully deflected the argument away with, we don't need that much protein, which has nothing to do with the comparison, and then asked why people think carbs are bad, who is saying they are?.....really don't know what to say about that defense.

As far as omega 3's and the vegan diet are concerned, that's pretty much traveled ground, so it's hard to to understand what your trying to say, and considering I can't debate health and nutrition with a vegan, I guess you'll have the unconditional right to misinform the general population and only discuss it with your fellow vegans, is that right? That must also be the reason I didn't get a response to this in another thread:
    Thank you and yes my mom has lost weight. It's nicely reflected on her face. I don't track my vitamins anf minerals or my calories. That's another good thing about being vegan you don't have to worry about sugars or calories or saturated fats, trans fats etc..

Glad your mom is feeling better. What do you mean you don't have to worry about sugar, calories, saturated fat or trans fats, those are all found in a vegan diet?

Maybe you can enlighten all of us with an answer....I'm sure all vegans would like to know the answer to this one, as well.
    k

I don't count calories and carbs because vegans on a plant based diet don't have to. There's your answer. You will never see an overweight vegan that eats nothing but a plant based diet. Unless it's someone that just started eating a vegan diet. Ok there, anymore questions?
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I was a vegan for a time, and a vegetarian for over 4 years besides. I bought into the health-nut BS, and when I first got into working out, I started to actually study nutrition from a science view. I learned that I had been promoting quackery. I felt like an a**hole. I truly believed the health-nut trash I spewed, but it was lies. I was just ignorant, and following these self proclaimed health gurus. Yes, eat veggies, eat fruit, eat whole grains, get hormone free meat and dairy. They are all part of a well rounded, holistic diet. We are not herbivore animals. We are not carnivore animals. We are, however, omnivore animals. We are designed as such.

Spot on! Thanks!
    De nada!!!
  • neanderthin
    Options

k

I don't count calories and carbs because vegans on a plant based diet don't have to. There's your answer. You will never see an overweight vegan that eats nothing but a plant based diet. Unless it's someone that just started eating a vegan diet. Ok there, anymore questions?
    That's the best nutritional answer ever. What about trans fats, saturated fats and sugar, considering your on a roll.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

k

That's the best nutritional answer ever. What about trans fats, saturated fats and sugar, considering your on a roll.

What do you want to know about trans fats? There's none in my diet so why should I worry about them? The recommended intake of nuts which do contain some saturated fats is about a handful daily. They contain more unsaturated fats which are healthy and due to the fiber they and enzymes when eaten raw the body easily digests and eliminates the unnecessary nutrients. And sugar what about it what fo you want to know about sugar cane?
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

k

What do you want to know about trans fats? There's none in my diet so why should I worry about them? The recommended intake of nuts which do contain some saturated fats is about a handful daily. They contain more unsaturated fats which are healthy and due to the fiber they and enzymes when eaten raw the body easily digests and eliminates the unnecessary nutrients. And sugar what about it what fo you want to know about sugar cane?
    By the way I'm typing with a phone in case you are wondering why I'm making all kinds of grammar mistakes