Milk and fiscal cliff

Options
With the possibilty that milk costs will be rising tremendously in the new year does anybody have alternate plans. We drink a ton of milk in our house. I was thinking of doing what my mom used to do when we were kids and watching pennies. She would mix up powdered milk and mix it 50:50 with whole milk. We tried almond milk a couple of months ago and one member of the family had a horrible allergic reaction to it. Soy milk is okay, but would be cost prohibitive for as much as we use, plus DH doesn't like it at all.

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I think I read that the Ag Secretary has the authority to step in and make adjustments to the subsidy so that this won't happen. I sure hope that's true, as we drink quite a bit of milk in our house too.
  • dc_smile2002
    dc_smile2002 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    We drink a lot of milk too. I don't know what we will do if the price goes up as much as they think it will.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking milk after doing research in to Monsanto and Genetically-engineered bovine growth hormone (rBGH) in milk that increases cancer risks. Do your own reserch you will be shocked with what you learn.
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think my kids drink an insane amount of milk and can be wasteful. I'm pretty much a stickler for my kids to drink either milk, water or a bit of juice. Part of the increase for 2013 has nothing to do with the fiscal cliff and is due to the drought and the price of feed. Milk consumption is down in the U.S. is down - something like 30%. Partly due to milk prices, soda, energy drinks and coffee drinks. I wonder what will happen to the price of soda and fancy coffee drinks if the corn subsidies go away?

A local organic dairy sells non-homogenized milk from grass fed cows for 3.50 a half gallon. I will be curious to see what happens to the price of milk from this dairy. I got a feeling they get little in the way of subsidies. I'm prepared to cut back on milk.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    We don't need no stinkin government handouts! What is this, an entitlement welfare nation?

(That was sarcasm, by the way, for those who lack a detector.)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I drink almond and coconut milks. Both better for you than cow milk
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    We don't need no stinkin government handouts! What is this, an entitlement welfare nation?

It is gonna be one eventually at this rate. Like in everything. You want one thing, you have to cut back on another. Fun, fun, fun!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    We're going to start raising chickens for eggs to counteract the cost for how much milk we buy. We go through 2 dozen eggs and 3-4 gallons of milk every two weeks. we're going to cut the eggs out.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

It is gonna be one eventually at this rate. Like in everything. You want one thing, you have to cut back on another. Fun, fun, fun!

I love our welfare state. Couldn't afford hamburger, much less steak if beef wasn't subsidized out the wazoo. I'm surprised this fiscal cliffhanger bad joke isn't affecting that, too.

By the way, it isn't just me, most people couldn't afford beef if it weren't subsidized. If you're not rich and you eat steak, you're a welfare queen. :tongue:

Of course some people want us to switch to meal worms, but I'm hoping workers will say enough is enough with that. Personally, before I'll eat worms I'll go on the millionaire diet. Because I'm sure beef fatted rich people taste better than worms!
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    we live off the land and have a milking cow. but coconut milk is good
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    we live off the land and have a milking cow. but coconut milk is good

we considered a cow, but i dont know anyone with a quality bull that isnt just huge. maybe when we get more land.
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    I stopped drinking milk after doing research in to Monsanto and Genetically-engineered bovine growth hormone (rBGH) in milk that increases cancer risks. Do your own reserch you will be shocked with what you learn.

FYI- Most milk is clearly labeled that it is not produced with rBGH.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I honestly wish subsidies would end. When you major in Econ in college you learn about how this negatively affects everything. Rent controls, price controls, faming subsidies, cost of gasoline, it's all insane. The true price of things should be what they are and less expensive alternatives will emerge in the market.

Sorry I got a little into politics. But, you can't discuss it without heading there, because that's the cause of it.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Soy milk can actually be cheaper than regular milk, at least it is where I shop (Eastern Pennsylvania). I would also try buying any milk in bulk at a club or warehouse store. If you're not a member, see if any of your friends want to go in on the membership with you to split the cost. Lastly, see if there are any farms or farmers markets around you. Sometimes you can get fresh milk cheaper that way.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I love almond milk its expensive but it has a long shelf life and it is healthier
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    With the possibilty that milk costs will be rising tremendously in the new year does anybody have alternate plans. We drink a ton of milk in our house. I was thinking of doing what my mom used to do when we were kids and watching pennies. She would mix up powdered milk and mix it 50:50 with whole milk. We tried almond milk a couple of months ago and one member of the family had a horrible allergic reaction to it. Soy milk is okay, but would be cost prohibitive for as much as we use, plus DH doesn't like it at all.

Kick dairy.
  • Poetry_In_Pics
    Options
    I was going to go with the powdered milk idea as well...
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I honestly wish subsidies would end. When you major in Econ in college you learn about how this negatively affects everything. Rent controls, price controls, faming subsidies, cost of gasoline, it's all insane. The true price of things should be what they are and less expensive alternatives will emerge in the market.

Sorry I got a little into politics. But, you can't discuss it without heading there, because that's the cause of it.

Cause food riots are a blast, right?

That's what will happen if subsidies end.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Well, the government got itself in a pickle, didn't it. It wasn't intended this way. Each thing was a small way to help. But, now people have come to rely on the government controlling market dynamics. Which is pretty much why I laugh when people claim that the USA is a free market. My *kitten* we are. Lol.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Lol