Milk and fiscal cliff

Options

Replies

• sissypunks
    Options
    look at the price of chicken feed it to is expensive we raise chickens and i sell our excess eggs and barley break even!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I honestly wish subsidies would end. When you major in Econ in college you learn about how this negatively affects everything. Rent controls, price controls, faming subsidies, cost of gasoline, it's all insane. The true price of things should be what they are and less expensive alternatives will emerge in the market.

Sorry I got a little into politics. But, you can't discuss it without heading there, because that's the cause of it.

Cause food riots are a blast, right?

That's what will happen if subsidies end.

Well, the government got itself in a pickle, didn't it. It wasn't intended this way. Each thing was a small way to help. But, now people have come to rely on the government controlling market dynamics. Which is pretty much why I laugh when people claim that the USA is a free market. My *kitten* we are. Lol.

Indeed we are not, and if you look at the countries with the closest thing to a free market what you will see is a very small number of very rich people and a whole lot of very poor people and a lot of slaughter.

Societies have the right to create laws and distribute wealth in ways that maintain a healthy, prosperous population. The US doesn't do it nearly as well as many countries in Europe, however.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I honestly wish subsidies would end. When you major in Econ in college you learn about how this negatively affects everything. Rent controls, price controls, faming subsidies, cost of gasoline, it's all insane. The true price of things should be what they are and less expensive alternatives will emerge in the market.

Sorry I got a little into politics. But, you can't discuss it without heading there, because that's the cause of it.

Well, the government got itself in a pickle, didn't it. It wasn't intended this way. Each thing was a small way to help. But, now people have come to rely on the government controlling market dynamics. Which is pretty much why I laugh when people claim that the USA is a free market. My *kitten* we are. Lol.

Indeed we are not, and if you look at the countries with the closest thing to a free market what you will see is a very small number of very rich people and a whole lot of very poor people and a lot of slaughter.

Societies have the right to create laws and distribute wealth in ways that maintain a healthy, prosperous population. The US doesn't do it nearly as well as many countries in Europe, however.

It is not the job of society to distribute wealth, if you look they do a terrible job of it. How's the war on poverty doing that Johnson started? Entitlements are what are going to send us over the fiscal cliff ya know
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Go on a Paleo diet. You can't have dairy anyways.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of doing what my mom used to do when we were kids and watching pennies. She would mix up powdered milk and mix it 50:50 with whole milk.

I have never tried that myself, but a good friend's mother used to do that, and he says it basically ruined the milk, that even as a kid, he would have rather had way less "pure" milk then to have that. Although I supposed one small batch could tell you how your family feels about such a concoction.

As others have suggested, why not just drink less milk? It's not like milk is particularly healthy anyway (unless your a baby cow, then its pretty much the best thing around). Water, and way watered down juice are you friends. Also, there are other milk substitutes around, like rice milk, although they tend to be substantially more expensive than conventional milk (and even a lot of organic milk). You could always try making your own alternative milks, dried rice is cheap.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

It is not the job of society to distribute wealth, if you look they do a terrible job of it. How's the war on poverty doing that Johnson started? Entitlements are what are going to send us over the fiscal cliff ya know

Nom nom tasty rich people!

It is indeed the job of society. If laws didn't at least keep the wealthy somewhat in check, we'd all be living in mill towns, indebted to the company store, with our children working right alongside us, and every time we tried to strike the National Guard, the local hired thugs, and the private cops would get called out to slaughter us. That's not my opinion, that's history.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    We don't need no stinkin government handouts! What is this, an entitlement welfare nation?

(That was sarcasm, by the way, for those who lack a detector.)

It is gonna be one eventually at this rate. Like in everything. You want one thing, you have to cut back on another. Fun, fun, fun!

I love our welfare state. Couldn't afford hamburger, much less steak if beef wasn't subsidized out the wazoo. I'm surprised this fiscal cliffhanger bad joke isn't affecting that, too.

By the way, it isn't just me, most people couldn't afford beef if it weren't subsidized. If you're not rich and you eat steak, you're a welfare queen. :tongue:

Of course some people want us to switch to meal worms, but I'm hoping workers will say enough is enough with that. Personally, before I'll eat worms I'll go on the millionaire diet. Because I'm sure beef fatted rich people taste better than worms!

Personally, I'd be worried about the concentration of toxins from all the beef the rich people eat, plus heaven knows what else they put in their bodies. I think I'll just stick to eating plants. Yes, I realize the government subsidizes corn (mostly feed corn), soy, wheat, and even rice, but given the level of subsidies on these products, as well as the inefficiency of animals converting corn to meat/milk/eggs, the actual price of these products is substantially lower than on meat, dairy, and eggs.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    We don't need no stinkin government handouts! What is this, an entitlement welfare nation?

(That was sarcasm, by the way, for those who lack a detector.)

It is gonna be one eventually at this rate. Like in everything. You want one thing, you have to cut back on another. Fun, fun, fun!

I love our welfare state. Couldn't afford hamburger, much less steak if beef wasn't subsidized out the wazoo. I'm surprised this fiscal cliffhanger bad joke isn't affecting that, too.

By the way, it isn't just me, most people couldn't afford beef if it weren't subsidized. If you're not rich and you eat steak, you're a welfare queen. :tongue:

Of course some people want us to switch to meal worms, but I'm hoping workers will say enough is enough with that. Personally, before I'll eat worms I'll go on the millionaire diet. Because I'm sure beef fatted rich people taste better than worms!

Personally, I'd be worried about the concentration of toxins from all the beef the rich people eat, plus heaven knows what else they put in their bodies. I think I'll just stick to eating plants. Yes, I realize the government subsidizes corn (mostly feed corn), soy, wheat, and even rice, but given the level of subsidies on these products, as well as the inefficiency of animals converting corn to meat/milk/eggs, the actual price of these products is substantially lower than on meat, dairy, and eggs.

Eh, they can afford organic, free range stuff. And eating them would be great for the environment, since they use up the bulk of the planet's resources.

At least I think they do, I might be talking out my *kitten* on that one, too lazy to look it up.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Meh, guess I'll have to eat sardines for my calcium.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    A local organic dairy sells non-homogenized milk from grass fed cows for 3.50 a half gallon. I will be curious to see what happens to the price of milk from this dairy. I got a feeling they get little in the way of subsidies. I'm prepared to cut back on milk.
    I also get "local" organic non-homogenized milk but I've started mixing it with unsweetened coconut milk in my protein shakes. I don't drink enough milk for price to make much difference, but my son (who lives 3000 miles away) may have to cut back as I'm not planning to send him any extra allowance to cover his milk consumption. Or maybe he'll get a job to cover the difference?

And my mother used to mix powdered and whole when we were kids, too. Guess that's another option, but haven't really seen powdered grass-fed organic. Maybe I'll start looking.
  • Bentley2718
    Options

It is indeed the job of society. If laws didn't at least keep the wealthy somewhat in check, we'd all be living in mill towns, indebted to the company store, with our children working right alongside us, and every time we tried to strike the National Guard, the local hired thugs, and the private cops would get called out to slaughter us. That's not my opinion, that's history.

Very well said!

And as for societies doing a terrible job of redistributing wealth, the US hasn't done so well, but many western European nations (e.g. the Dutch) have done a far better job at caring for their populous. In contrast, the US has taken a lot of half measures and has had little follow-through--pretty much a recipe for not solving a serious problem.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Kroger near my house was out of milk yesterday......Makes you wonder?
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    We tried almond milk a couple of months ago and one member of the family had a horrible allergic reaction to it. Soy milk is okay, but would be cost prohibitive for as much as we use, plus DH doesn't like it at all.
    i love almond milk.. I'd buy that for everyone who can drink it and that means you can probably buy regular milk by the pint for the allergy prone
  • falcon367
    Options

Wholeheartedly agree ... However, there is so much the general public doesn't know that would make their skin crawl, that its just easier to stick our heads back in the sand. LOL
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

Very well said!

And as for societies doing a terrible job of redistributing wealth, the US hasn't done so well, but many western European nations (e.g. the Dutch) have done a far better job at caring for their populous. In contrast, the US has taken a lot of half measures and has had little follow-through--pretty much a recipe for not solving a serious problem.

I know. Not a week goes by that I don't wish I had been born in a better country. Before someone says it, yes, I know there are much worse ones, too! But who wouldn't want the best in life?

It isn't even a matter of distribution. Wealth comes from labor. Money is just a symbol of people's time, energy, and efforts. Without societal controls what happens is that wealth gets concentrated into a few hands and the people who then have that wealth have all the power to prevent the people who actually create the wealth from receiving their fair share of it. The job of society is to make sure that doesn't happen.

American society has failed in that. Not as drastically as some societies, but we've still failed.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Vote out EVERYONE. That is the solution.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

you
    are
    insane.

If you think Europe is a role model.... hahaha... wow
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Vote out EVERYONE. That is the solution.

Can we keep Dennis Kucinich? I rather like him. The rest need to go.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

you
    are
    insane.

If you think Europe is a role model.... hahaha... wow

Look at the standard of living rankings (they are published every year). Note which countries are on top.

Then make up your own mind.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

Very well said!

You people read too much Robin Hood.

Redistribution = theft