"Cut and Paste" experts on this forum

Options

Replies

• FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Well look at it this way: it's an internet forum and if somebody's post upsets you, you can just ignore it. I've had to spend one-and-a-half hours today at a meeting from H.E.L.L. where one of the department bosses was once again pursuing her own agenda of getting rid of my boss - who is a million times better at his job than she's at hers. Unfortunately I couldn't leave and had to listen to the whole sorry mess. At one point I was tempted to pretend I've got food poisoning and start retching and running out with my hand over my mouth just to get out of there. That's 90 minutes gone from my life.

Just saying, it could be much worse. :wink:
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Well look at it this way: it's an internet forum and if somebody's post upsets you, you can just ignore it. ....
    Just saying, it could be much worse. :wink:
    Lots of things could be worse: listening to a political speech, colonoscopy, root canal, standing in the Christmas-mailing-line at the post office, NOT HAVING A COMPUTER!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If someone posts asking for an "opinion" that is what I will give them, and I may cite sources to back up my point, but usually base my answer on personal experience, and label it as such. If someone posts asking to be informed, I will try to find some info from more than one perspective--giving a range of possible answers---and present it in a way that they can draw the conclusion that works for them.

I TRY to leave my soapbox in the laundry room..... Just don't get me started on "diet pills" "crash diets" or other bits of silliness that don't lead to long term weight loss or better health..or the soapbox is liable to come out and get LOTS of use!!!!:blushing: :laugh: :laugh:

Now, excuse me while I go have some more of that "dessert" that DeeDee was talking about :laugh:
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If someone posts asking for an "opinion" that is what I will give them, and I may cite sources to back up my point, but usually base my answer on personal experience, and label it as such. If someone posts asking to be informed, I will try to find some info from more than one perspective--giving a range of possible answers---and present it in a way that they can draw the conclusion that works for them.

I TRY to leave my soapbox in the laundry room..... Just don't get me started on "diet pills" "crash diets" or other bits of silliness that don't lead to long term weight loss or better health..or the soapbox is liable to come out and get LOTS of use!!!!:blushing: :laugh: :laugh:

Now, excuse me while I go have some more of that "dessert" that DeeDee was talking about :laugh:

This was such a funny post! Especially the blushing smiley!!

I think we all do this, cite courses and look to "educate the masses" (isnt that our obligation as a human race????) but some of these people want to PUSH their knowledge on you...and convert you like this is religious!!! You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I am all for doing internet research on different topics, it can be very informative. However, if I am doing research on a subject and want the an unbiased opinion I DO NOT go to a site devoted to that subject. I feel if you want a clear picture you should seek info from an unbiased site that does not advertise for that topic. Whats the point of course they are going to make it seem like the best thing since sliced bread. This was a little rant sorry but I just read a post where the info cut and pasted as research was from a site that sells the product in question.
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I am all for doing internet research on different topics, it can be very informative. However, if I am doing research on a subject and want the an unbiased opinion I DO NOT go to a site devoted to that subject. I feel if you want a clear picture you should seek info from an unbiased site that does not advertise for that topic. Whats the point of course they are going to make it seem like the best thing since sliced bread. This was a little rant sorry but I just read a post where the info cut and pasted as research was from a site that sells the product in question.

Exactly! We were researching the Tummy Fat Diet and all the facts were of course BIASED! Then we went to Mayoclinic.com and webmd.com (great sites, BTW) and low and behold, THE TRUTH! LOL
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Exactly! We were researching the Tummy Fat Diet and all the facts were of course BIASED! Then we went to Mayoclinic.com and webmd.com (great sites, BTW) and low and behold, THE TRUTH! LOL

That was my EXACT point.....thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm a "meanie" or a "self-taught expert" but for the record, every single time I reply to a thread, I'm trying to be helpful. :flowerforyou:
    Sometimes the fact is people try to get you to see things their way because your way of seeing them really isn't the best way. They're still just trying to help. For example, in many peoples' opinion, the best way to lose weight is to starve yourself and induce vomitting after eating and take laxatives. In my opinion, that's not a healthy way to do things and I'd tell them that & offer alternatives. I hope that doesn't make me a "self-taught expert."

I'm here to learn. I'm wrong. I learn. I know. I teach. Isn't that the point?
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I don't know if I'm a "meanie" or a "self-taught expert" but for the record, every single time I reply to a thread, I'm trying to be helpful. :flowerforyou:
    Sometimes the fact is people try to get you to see things their way because your way of seeing them really isn't the best way. They're still just trying to help. For example, in many peoples' opinion, the best way to lose weight is to starve yourself and induce vomitting after eating and take laxatives. In my opinion, that's not a healthy way to do things and I'd tell them that & offer alternatives. I hope that doesn't make me a "self-taught expert."

I'm here to learn. I'm wrong. I learn. I know. I teach. Isn't that the point?

Jib,

From personal experience, you have taught me more than anyone else on this site! (PS...Thanks!) But your approach is endearing. The fact that you care is apparent! Others post for the sake of being replied to. Its like that salesperson that loses the sale for continually pushing too hard, when all he had to do was give you the facts and let you see it for yourself...:wink:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I ...like ...attack..ing what people say!!!!

Is that kind of the "cut and paste" you were talking about? :wink:

(PS, I didn't alter a WORD. Just had to search HARD for an 'ing' to put with 'attack'!!!!)

(PPS, I try to keep it light too. I cannot handle drama!!!!)
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I ...like ...attack..ing what people say!!!!

Is that kind of the "cut and paste" you were talking about? :wink:

(PS, I didn't alter a WORD. Just had to search HARD for an 'ing' to put with 'attack'!!!!)

(PPS, I try to keep it light too. I cannot handle drama!!!!)

Too funny!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Jib,

From personal experience, you have taught me more than anyone else on this site! (PS...Thanks!) But your approach is endearing. The fact that you care is apparent! Others post for the sake of being replied to. Its like that salesperson that loses the sale for continually pushing too hard, when all he had to do was give you the facts and let you see it for yourself...:wink:

Thanks Karma. Sometimes as I'm typing I feel like "oh no, I'm coming across as such a smartypants right now." But I feel like if I've been there, done that and had something work for me, I should share it with everyone I can who's having the same problem (not meaning they *need* to do it, just meaning perhaps they should consider it). Or maybe someone asks a question and I remember that not that long ago, I had the same question and everyone was answering in ways that didn't make sense to me, I try to say it in a way that does make sense to me (which most likely doesn't make any sense to anyone else :laugh:).
    I think differently than most other people it seems and I feel a need to explain (and have things explained) in a certain way. It doesn't help that, like MercuryBlue (who I adore!), I'm longwinded.
  • karmasBFF
    Options

Jib,

Thanks Karma. Sometimes as I'm typing I feel like "oh no, I'm coming across as such a smartypants right now." But I feel like if I've been there, done that and had something work for me, I should share it with everyone I can who's having the same problem. Or maybe someone asks a question and I remember that not that long ago, I had the same question and everyone was answering in ways that didn't make sense to me, I try to say it in a way that does make sense to me (which most likely doesn't make any sense to anyone else :laugh:).
    I think differently than most other people it seems and I feel a need to explain (and have things explained) in a certain way. It doesn't help that, like MercuryBlue (who I adore!), I'm longwinded.

I love that you and Mercury take the TIME to spell everything out! And I love how you both come back to the topic to make sure its understood! I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "Or maybe someone asks a question and I remember that not that long ago, I had the same question ..." I think that's why I pay such close attention to your posts, because you've been there and what are you doing is DEFINITELY working!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm one of the ones everybody is talking about. I give my opinion freely (although I try not to where it won't be wanted). I know I sometimes come off harsh. I don't see how Banks and Tam stay sane reading the same topics over and over again (I can't lose weight and I'm eating less or what's the best whey protein?...no body seems to check the archives, lol).
    I also avoid topics where I know I would debate with someone else....low carb, low fat, foods with chimicals-skinny cow type stuff. I just don't even look at those posts anymore. There are days when I won't anwser a post at all...lol. :smile:
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options

Jib,

Thanks Karma. Sometimes as I'm typing I feel like "oh no, I'm coming across as such a smartypants right now." But I feel like if I've been there, done that and had something work for me, I should share it with everyone I can who's having the same problem. Or maybe someone asks a question and I remember that not that long ago, I had the same question and everyone was answering in ways that didn't make sense to me, I try to say it in a way that does make sense to me (which most likely doesn't make any sense to anyone else :laugh:).

I love that you and Mercury take the TIME to spell everything out! And I love how you both come back to the topic to make sure its understood! I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "Or maybe someone asks a question and I remember that not that long ago, I had the same question ..." I think that's why I pay such close attention to your posts, because you've been there and what are you doing is DEFINITELY working!

Aw, shucks. :blushing:

Sometimes I worry I'm too long-winded and that people get halfway through my posts and are like, 'GET TO THE POINT, ALREADY!'

But I feel I'm doing people a disservice if I don't give my reply 100% of my attention. I'm not sitting down and typing because I like to hear myself talk (erm, read myself write?). I genuinely care enough about what I'm writing about to give it everything I've got. I hope I don't come off as a know-it-all! This place is such a haven for me because I feel like we all care about one another (for the most part) even if we don't agree. We all want success- not just for ourselves, but the people around us.

I do understand where the original poster is coming from, though (I think). Like, there are the real experts here. The ones who post... and I listen! What they say means to me, because they come from a genuine place of not only having BEEN there, but educating themselves. (I'm looking at you, Banks and Songbird!) I respect them, and when they post I generally don't argue.

Then there are the people who, it seems, WISH they were the above people. They're filled with advice ! And, I'm sure they have the best of intentions, but their advice isn't always well-researched. They become parrots, repeating something they heard/read somewhere. The problem is, without every piece of the puzzle, you could theoretically cause more harm than good.

It's like someone already said, you can go online EASILY and find an article to back up what you believe. It doesn't matter what the topic- the internet is full of misinformation. I could go to a bulemia website and get 'expert advice' on 'safe' ways to binge and purge. It doesn't mean that information is correct.

Take cleanses, for example. Now, I have my own personal opinions on cleanses (I haven't hid them). I KNOW they'll help you lose weight fast, and whittle down your waistline. And for many people, that's enough. But the whole story is that cleanses a)aren't necessary and b)only really flush out poop and water weight. So of course the number on the scale goes down and your tummy is flatter- you're not full of poop anymore! Not to change the subject to cleanses, of course. The point I'm making is that there's truth... and then there are partial truths. And when somebody wants to SELL you something, they're going to give you partial truths. It only takes a little bit of time and energy to find the whole story- so why not go out and do your research? Don't take the very first thing you read at face value, and shove it down other people's throats when they don't agree with you.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    There are one or two people who post here that I'd like to virtually smack upside the head. :grumble: I'm sure there are a few that'd like to smack me too. lol
    You can smack me anytime Brenda,,, :bigsmile:

It's frustrating a little. I've been a member here for well over a year now, and I've learned a lot and done pretty well. But I've seen the same 7 or 8 exasperating things just keep coming up over and over, and they always get debated to death, one or more persons ends up mad. Just bad news,,,

Lessee:::

"Should I eat my exercise calories?"
    "Muscle is heavier than fat"
    "If I do crunches will I get ripped abs?"
    "I'm a little girl, if I lift weights will I turn into Lou Ferrigno?"

And my personal favorite: "My BF/DH/SO did this or that - All men are pigs". :bigsmile: (This one will lead one of the 12 men on the site to defend the male gender, draw a a grudging admission that some small percentage of the male population should be spared when the revolution starts, etc.etc.).

I used to engage, generally with a kind and repectful tone I thought. Nowadays I mostly just stay out of it. It's happened before, and it'll come up again. I'd guess the average active membership period here is some few months, maybe. SO there's a constant flood of noobs, and they have to replow the same old ground. It is what it is.

The one "Cut & Paste" thing I'm guilty of is "Casper's standard welcome aboard post". Sorry about that,,,
  • karmasBFF
    Options

Jib,

Aw, shucks. :blushing:
    What they say means to me, because they come from a genuine place of not only having BEEN there, but educating themselves. (I'm looking at you, Banks and Songbird!) I respect them, and when they post I generally don't argue.

I do hope you are referrring to Jib and not me because I'm a newbie to this still!!! Let her have all that pressure! LOL
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    And my personal favorite: "My BF/DH/SO did this or that - All men are pigs". :bigsmile: (This one will lead one of the 12 men on the site to defend the male gender, draw a a grudging admission that some small percentage of the male population should be spared when the revolution starts, etc.etc.).

No worries. We will sort out the keepers, put them in a nice little locked garden, and bring them out for mating purposes. :wink:
  • karmasBFF
    Options

No worries. We will sort out the keepers, put them in a nice little locked garden, and bring them out for mating purposes. :wink:

Uh oh, watch out! WE got a live one!!! LOL
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Mating purposes or breeding purposes? ((&%^# vasectomy :grumble: )).