WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Christyleonar
    Join in you should find extra tools here to use . Use them don't park them with your colectibles. LOL.

Jen
    Need to get excersice out of the way eary in the morning or we find excuses not to do it.

Lila
    Lots of fruit and veg. but i do a lot of that in this journey anyhow.

Glenda
    I feel like you. This takes a lot of my morning.

Joan
    I imagine you are amongst many who gained weight holiday season.
    I was lucky in losing.

Christ
    My leg esn't long enough to kick your ars. Only you can do that not even your neighbour.
    And I need to kick mine out of here been here to long already.
    Need to exercise and shower and get on with my day.

LizM
    Bit's are easier to bite than chunks.

Jane
    sorry your back is ailing you. Take it easy.

Meg
    They did put you on antibiotics to take care of the problem. I hope.
    I like wii plus for exercise but use wii fit for weigh in as it weighs in lbs.
    More than likey could convert the other just don't know how.
    This is getting very time consuming.

Gail
    sounds like you have your own bussinees lots of work.
    Happy Y time.

That will have to do for today. Have to exercise and shower right now. Or it won't get done.
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Am posting early (for me)....dh is still in bed...pretty sure he has the flu...I slept on couch because I don't want it:wink:

So I am getting a shopping list together and planning on making chicken soup and clam chowder (Manhattan style ...mostly veggies, tomato base with clams thrown in at the end). I am trying rebelrennys veggie challenge today..so I am thinking soups, salads and fruit for snacks...just what I need after yesterdays debacle...starting fresh and turning the page.

Have a restoring Sunday and will check in later
    :heart:
    jen from currently sunny nys
  • emtjab
    emtjab Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!

Thanks for answering my questions....I'll get the hang of this yet.

Julie
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    So . . . I've been weighing myself every day since my Friday weigh in showed my first gain (1.2 pounds). The first day showed a bigger gain and this morning showed exactly one pound. So I am putting my scale away and hope that this Friday shows the pound gone.

I am going to ride my horse today for the first time this year. He's going to be a handful as I haven't ridden him much since late November. My other little girl is a drama free guaranteed safe ride so I tend to grab her first. I don't bounce like I used to.

I can't possibly read all of these posts. When someone refers to something I want to know about I scroll through trying to find the original poster's post and never do. Frustrating.

Liz - every time you mention sweating to the oldies I want to go buy it.

Amanda - I can't really discourage my 11 year old from baking if he feels inclined. It's cute. He wants to make pralines next - and I am really weak for them. But you're right the gain was a wake up call and I have a little more resolve because of it. I was sure feeling like "this is easy." Time to actually exercise instead of just moving more.

Julie - welcome to over 50 even though you're not there yet. Remember it's not hard to lose weight, just slow. Accept slow and consider any loss each week (including ounces) a success. I've been doing it for over 5 months and am at a point where my BMI is finally in the "normal" range. Welcome aboard.

Christy - Christy - you made me laugh when you said you didn't want men trying to correspond with you - I don't think this is that type of site - maybe for the youngsters but haven't seen any over 50 stalkers lately.

Glenda - steal away - I did.

Rebel - I am trying to find the post with the fruit and vegetable challenge. What is it??

Megblair - yay fitbit - get one, get one, get one!!!

Lauri524 - welcome and stay with us.

Jolene - I can't find your posts - just the one that says it's sarcoidosis not lymphoma and that's a good thing. Still sounds like a lot to go through. I'll send prayers.

About now is when I lose my note before I hit Post :smile:

Sue - you're right - the gain was probably a good thing in the long run - Also, I've never been on weight watchers but being a historical calorie counter I've never understood counting points when you can count calories.

Hello to all the newbies. For those of you without a profile picture - post one. Having a face to see makes me feel like I'm talking to someone I know!

Bye. I think I can post this before it goes away.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies!

We had a little surprise pop-up snow storm last night. Coupled with a blanket of fog and blue skies, it was beautiful – but I’m glad I’m looking at it from inside my cozy house! Made it much easier to throw on the workout clothes and go do yoga knowing I won’t be going for a walk anytime soon.

Jen from NYS, your meal planning sounds wonderful - have fun cooking. You and I sound alike, right down to the same time on working out. I’m fortunate to be able to work from home (no commute!) but I still get up quite early and work out – then I have time to chat on-line and read the entire internet (lol) before I log into work.

Lin, I’m admiring your enthusiasm for exercising now! Good for you – I can’t begin to tell you how much better you’ll feel and how quickly you’ll find yourself liking it. Enjoy your day.

Sally, hah! You must be around where I am. I’m not familiar with those books – I can only tell you that when I started this the only thing I did was start logging my food (I already knew I needed to reduce carbs and keep my calorie count consistent) and exercise a lot more. The science on women as they age is that it simply takes a lot more movement and activity for us to maintain/lose weight than when we were younger or men at any time. It’s an unfortunate fact.

DeeDee, rough night! I hate those – but I suspect changing hormone levels have something to do with that. I hope your headache clears up.

Tigress, my favorite breakfast is one someone else makes :laugh:. I like having leftover soup for lunches and quick suppers but agree any of them can get to be too much.

Amanda, I’m sorry you’re still feeling a little stiff. Good for you for getting up and going out if you can’t sleep. Might as well make use of the time if you’re not going to sleep. I have a jar of red wheatberries I picked up this fall. I mainly add them to a porridge that I use as a base for whole-grain bread (I love wheatberries in bread). They’re a little too substantial for a rice substitute but I imagine they would be good and similar to barley in soups.

Barbara from ID, I can ALWAYS tell when it’s time for me to get to bed – I get cold. It’s a joke in our house – when I reach for a blanket on the couch, it’s time to call time. I agree with you a class is good for learning yoga if you’ve never done the moves before – and lol at the brick wall analogy!

Michele, you’re probably thinking of the Farmhouse, which is one of our favorite places to go for a last-minute meal. We usually eat in the main dining room instead of the really fancy restaurant part – that one is really nice. No, we went to Dilworthtown Inn. It’s very special but felt a little like they were testing out new staff that night. Oh, my – a period??? I still haven’t gone into menopause yet either (but I’m “only” turning 52 this month) – but I can only tell because I get cysts on one or the other of my ovaries when I’m ovulating. Remember to start counting after this. And if it’s been more than a year since your last period, go get checked out. It could be something else. I have heard of my friends who got aaaaaallllmost to a year and then bam! Have to start counting over again.

Colleen, you’ll do yourself a favor if instead of thinking of it as “cheating” you think of the little treats you allow yourself as a part of your diet. Nothing is off limits, it’s just something that adds to your calorie count so you need to factor it in. If you’re loading up on too many of the treats your nutrition will suffer, so you want to balance it, but if you feel deprived you’re more likely to fail. A sliver isn’t going to break the bank – so long as you’re balancing it against healthy eating and are mindful of the overall total.

Katla, your visit with your son and DIL and friends sounds like the perfect way to spend a weekend.

Sue, I had seen that study on fitness and being able to get up – seems like a simple but logical test.

Liz, I’m sorry to hear about the drama. Families. Sometimes . . . just remember that not being able to trust her doesn’t mean no one is trustworthy. Try to tune in on your intuitions.

Lauri, welcome and I’m sure you’ll get the hang of this too. You’ll quickly find the foods that were “free” on WW are just about that here – cucumber, celery, lettuce – all pretty negligible calorie-wise. DH rarely enters his veggies – but how you cook them (oils?) and any sauces to add up. Anyway, you’ll get the hang of it I’m sure – and any questions, just throw them out here.

Gail, it sounds like you’re really taking this new switch at work with good grace. Good for you! You’re especially lucky to find an empty Y this time of year – I remember the shock and horror the first time I went to ours after Christmas and couldn’t find a parking space!

Meg, I hope we’re not passing around our germs on-line! I can’t even say out loud what I think about my luck so far this year, but I’m downing the immune-boosting and cold-season tea as much as possible anyway. I’m glad you sound like you’re feeling better. How much longer before you head back to school?

JaneM, Ouchie! Back spasms are no fun – but heat is really good for it. Take care of yourself.

Karen from MI, LOL at DH measuring his wine! My poor DH is slowly coming to the realization that drinking and dieting are just not in the cards for him, and unfortunately he will have to diet most likely forever (or at least watch his calories). And good for you for keeping up with your workouts. I think I mentioned to someone else – the news isn’t great for women over 50, but the good news is if you can find the time to work in a good hour of exercise a day for most days you’ll find yourself finally shedding those reluctant pounds.

LizM, welcome. Love your picture!

Christy, sometimes after working for years it’s easy to fall into a “I deserve a break” – but it won’t last, especially if you were a pretty motivated person before. I’m with some of the other gals – first thing I do when I get up is throw on my workout gear and go hit the basement. I don’t think about it, I just do it. From there, the rest of the day is on its own lol.

JoanF, good luck shedding that gain. Spring cleaning is hitting all of us in the pantry lol :laugh:.

Glenda, I love your description of your walk. I agree I get some energy and joy just from being outside. Embrace that, and your joy will naturally lead to more energy and lighter steps!

Lila, your meal sounds wonderful. I agree you’ll need to add extra protein and some whole grains or starches – personally I wouldn’t replace a protein with a veggie or fruit, but I think the challenge is for those who are more “meat and potatoes” type of eaters.

Kackie, I hope your DH’s surgery has corrected the issue. Backs are such troubling and touchy areas! Good luck getting yourself back in shape now.

Jolene, I’m so happy to hear it’s not Lymphoma, but Sarcoidosis is not nothing. I have a burned out case (Stage 3 or 4, depending on the scale) but it still presents issues occasionally. When the xray first showed the scars on my lungs I had barely gotten in my car to drive away from the hospital when they were calling me to schedule a followup – they thought I had cancer! Anyway, please feel free to friend me and ping me with any questions – I might be the queen of knowledge on this disease.

Susan, it happens. As you say, just try to reset and treat your body nicely for the next several days. Lots of water too!

Robin, ouchie on the sore mouth! I’m sure it’s better by now. Good attitude re: boss-monster.

Syndy, wow! Congratulations on losing all that weight! Please follow along as you move into maintenance – we have a few people including the moderator who are there and are great for reminding us that it is indeed a marathon!

TopBranch, congratulations on your and your DD’s weight loss. Keep coming back for motivation!

Lin, so glad to hear your activity level is getting intensified! Good for you. It will indeed help with the stiffness and pain in your body, especially as you become lighter and place less pressure on your joints.

Cheryl, you know how I feel about the scale :laugh:. Yes, keep it in the closet. Discouragement is not your friend. You’re doing so well – keep that in mind, and if nothing else remember where you were last year.

OK, off to get cleaned up, do some work, and finish the house dedecorating. Fortunately the snow outside is making it easy to stay inside (although it’s melting fast and DH has already mentioned going for a walk . . . brr!).

Cheers!

M.
  • turkeyloss
    turkeyloss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    we are the same age same weightish and same goal - shall be buddy up for support ? :smile:
  • gloriadw41
    gloriadw41 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for some time. Enjoying the app very much, reading some posts, etc. I have never posted before. I came across this 50+ group and think this is where I will fit in best! I will be 50 on Jan. 18th.

I had roux n y gastric bypass in 2000. I did very well, lost 130 lbs. Since then my weight has gone up and down. Currently I have kept about 85 of the lbs. off and am still working on getting more off.

I do treadmill and a basic fitness class 4-5 times a week. Body composition is changing, but the weight is not moving. Just looking for support from other ladies who are 50+!

Thanks everyone! I will continue reading everyone's posts for motivation!
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    The rest of page 13
    Lauri
    Welcome you still can use WW. but just track your food. MFP will break it down to calories for you.

Deedee
    Thi site is sure getting time consuming but I love it.

I shepley
    Seen that DVD at wallmart but thought it looked pretty hard.
    I bought 3 of Leslie Sansones walk off the lbs instead

Liz
    Sorry your having sibling problems.
    Good for you for hitting the Y and walking the lazy river.
    I like the lazy river but I walk against the current gives more strength to it.

Sue
    Lots of Vit. F in here today

Katla
    Great weekend.

So that's another page done.

I got 10 min. of balance on the wii and 20 min. of yoga. Went downstairs and fixed one of the dog coats I made yesterday one strap was to big. Took all the seams of a sheet that I will be using to make nightgown and pyjamas for grandkids cheaper that way than buying fabric.
    So now out of here to straighten out my kitchen and turn yesterdays veg. into soup.
    Back for page 14 soon I hope or i'll fall behind.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Good Morning lovely ladies :flowerforyou:

Yesterday there was good participation in the fruit and veggie one-day challenge. I hope to make it a weekly challenge for Saturdays, although feel free to choose any day that suits you better, as some people have already indicated. For me, the weekend tends to require better planning, so my challenge to others is entirely selfish!! :bigsmile:

For those looking for the link, feel free to go to my profile and you should find it.

Personally, I chose not to eat meat and bread for the day, nor drink wine (my alcoholic drink of choice). I had an egg-white and veggie omelette for breakfast, a huge salad for lunch, fruit in between and a 9 bean ragout for dinner. In addition, I ate some nuts and seeds. The beans, nuts and seeds are high in protein, without the animal fats. Furthermore, legumes, veggies and fruit are very high in a range of nutrients and fiber.

What I have also learned is that, in general, we North-Americans - that includes me - do not take in enough fiber. It should be set at 30g per day. I find it is a very good gauge for me. If I hit that, it means I have most likely also have had sufficient whole plant foods. I am paying more attention to that.

I lost 2 lbs this past week. I had previously logged the 1 lb, but waited with the second 1 until I knew it was sticking. I logged my new weight this morning. I am very encouraged and feel great. :smile: :smile:

Have a great Sunday.
    :heart: Renny
    from Vancouver Island, BC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump

Bump!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,130 Member
    Options
    Good day my friends -

May success be yours today!! And let's keep that virtual chicken soup moving around out here so that everyone can get well as soon as possible. Cheers (DRINK THAT WATER)!! :drinker: :drinker:

I tried the cardio DVD of the Zumba Gold yesterday and ladies---I'm in love with it. I was very careful of my knees and hip but gosh, it's so much fun!!! I've been trying to find affordable Zumba Gold classes (live classes) fairly close to my residence and I just couldn't find any and last year there were no Zumba Gold DVDs available. Now you can get them. The "Live It Up" Zumba Gold set is just what I've been looking for. Yippee! I'm not overly sore today so this is a keeper for sure. No, I'm not selling these. :laugh: :laugh: Just wanted you to know about something that might be helpful if you may be a bit more mature (I'm 61+) and/or have some other problems that makes regular Zumba a bit too much.

Okay, I think I'm set now, Zumba Gold, Leslie Sansone's Walk Slim: 5 Really Big Miles, the treadmill (or dreadmill if you like), and some hand weights. No excuses for me now!! Well, there probably never really were truth be told. :wink:

Hugs to you for providing such wonderful Vitamin F!

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    :explode: just lost my post.

Okay take two.

Good morning.

I have done well this week in life changes for the new year. I haven't hit all the items on my list but I have done some.
    Dreadmill everyday.
    10,000 plus steps
    Calories posted and under goal
    Water 8+ glasses
    New bed time ritual (wash face, prepare clothes for next day, stretch and yoga poses)

I will add more soon. Baby Steps.

I am keeping up with the posts so far. I hope to be able to respond more personally as I get back into the swing of things again.

I have been with this thread for 3 years and I love it. Even though I have my ups and downs, successes and failures, I love having a place to share them.

Have agreat Sunday. I will dreadmilling as I watch football!!!!

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    PNW
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to this site as of yesterday. Am hoping to find support as I join you all in our weight loss journey. I just hope I can figure out how to do this. I am technologically challenged but never give up trying! Happy New Year to you all.
  • onmyway61
    Options
    I am brand new. Just joined this morning. Thank you to whoever started this group. It seems like just what I need. I hope I am doing this right. Looking for encouragement as I continue to work on making peace with food. I have the exercise piece down. I am working on losing 28 pounds. I lost 30 in 2012 but it is getting harder to not slide back. Gained 4 over the holiday season, but have already taken 2 off. I also would love to help others as we all continue on our own fitness jouneys. -Nancy G.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    :duplicate post. oh brother.:angry:
  • dmendel64
    Options
    Hello Ladies..

@exermom your comment did a world of good for me this morning. Thanks

I didn't get to over 200lbs just by my unhealthy eating habits, but also because my unhealthy self image. In my 20's I always thought I was so "fat", in my 30's my weight yo yo'd up and down and still at my thinnest all I saw was "fat"... and so on to date. Now almost 50 and the heaviest I have ever been and very unhealthy I would love to be so "fat" as in my 30's. My point is I have always had such a unhealthy self image and mentally sabotage myself.. hence the life long yo yo!

Today, is day 6! I have managed to loose a little weight each day with MFP.. Yey, right?!? Can you believe today I woke up and weighed myself and was so disappointed and 'even' discouraged that I had not loss weight?! I was upset because I did everything I have been doing and today nothing... in comes the self doubt, unhealthy self image issues... CAN YOU BELIEVE?!
    It is an illness... how absolutely ridiculous am I... seriously!

Thank you Barbie and ladies for having this blog! I came over and read the board and got rejuvenated! with the encouragement from all and being reminded that this is day 6, then day 7, then 8 until I got this thing, and I am healthy! I know that I will never get over this mental, unhealthy self sabotage... I have had it all my life, it is how I view myself in the mirror, in pictures, on the scale, etc. But now I have "women 50+" to keep me positive and on track!

Thank you Ladies for being so caring an positive and dedicated to helping each other!

"IT IS OKAY NOT TO HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS YET, CONTINUE THE JOURNEY AND TRUST THE PROCESS"
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Well, I getting ready to go food shopping and I am armed with coupons, which is something DH usually does. Hope it goes well.

Lin- I tried Zumba, but they change the steps to fast for me. I just get my feet to know the step and the instructor changed it. Not like the aerobics classes I used to take where you could learn the steps. I stopped going. I will stick with walking and swimming. Glad that you like it though.

Tigress from GA
  • nancymellor
    nancymellor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone i just started on this site and hope to make some good changes along the way. For this first month my goals are to post my food and exercise daily and to exercise 3 times per week. Look forward to making some new friends and hearing about everyones progress.

nancy
  • wannabethingirl2
    wannabethingirl2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good Morning & Happy Sunday Everyone! :flowerforyou: Boy, Im really loving this site!!

Well, Christmas vacation is almost over for this teacher! Heading back to work tomorrow. Soooo I'm making a low fat chicken enchilada soup in the crock pot today to have for lunches. I had some left over chicken breast, so I'm cooking it up with spices to put on salads. I tend to go "overboard" when I begin a diet, so I know I have to be careful to not eat too little food and then fall off the wagon after a week or so! I usually weigh on Sundays, give myself that day as almost a "free day" (that works because I do the cooking that day and can look forward to just one meal that I can enjoy and not worry about!) then hit it hard on Monday -I might do the fruit veggie 1 day challenge on Mondays. Better make up my mind! ha

I've lost 4.8 pounds since Jan. 3rd.....I'm sure a lot of that was water and excess wt. that I had added with my son's wedding. But, I've also worked hard for it - watching my food intake and exercising every day.

:noway: There is a group of people on MFP who are going to begin the 30 Day Shred tomorrow and...I watched the video on YouTube last night and woke up sore just from WATCHING it!! haha - BUT I think I'm going to give it a try!

I was like AMANDA and DEEDEE wih the lack of sleep last night. I woke up to hear someone rummaging the in kitchen...and since I was the only one home this was odd. I went in there to find my dog, with a bag of potato chips off the counter! ha Apparently MY diet has made my dog engage in late night sneaky snacks!

:love: Tigress - I so miss shooting with my husband! He passed away I so miss fishing and hunting and going out and shooting with him! Brings back wonderful memories!

:happy: Julie - YAY YOU!! Under 200 - WOOT!!

:smile: Sally - I haven't heard of 4 Hour Body, but now you have me curious! Just from your post, does it tell us we are all predetermined to a particular shape and/or size? pffffttttt.....haha I cant read stuff like that right now. I tell myself I'll read it when I'm thin. ha

:drinker: Jen - your soups sound AMAZING!!! That's one thing I need to do is to think outside the box more and start building up low fat recipes.

:flowerforyou: Gloria - DW41 - welcome! I'm new here too and LOVE this group!

:wink: Penny - I usually do a "slim fast only" day on mondays - - -maybe I'll change it to frui and veggie/Slimfast day!? OH AND THANK YOU FOR THE FIBER INFORMATION!!! I need to get more in!! Haveing a "number" to shoot for helps me a lot! (YAY on the 2 pounds!

:smile: dmendel - I weigh myself periodically too. I think I'm going to try to keep it at 2 times a week - otherwise I'll be popping on the scales all the time. I first feel it in my upper abdomen and sometimes I just "know" I've dropped a pound or 2 and HAVE to check that scale. If it doesn't show up, I tell myself - well, it just hasn't caught up with me, ...orrr that my scale battery is getting old haha

I'm still thinking of this fitbit thing! Which one do you guys have - the basic or the more expensive one?

Have a great Sunday everyone!! :tongue:
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I haven't been around for quite some time. And I have to say...I've missed you all!. I just let my to-do lists get too full. It's great to see so many familiar faces and lots of new ones. I'm going to start over...again. I have had some successes. I put on a few lbs...but since GLM (good lovin man) joined the gym with me...I was able to take off a few of those. Before the holidays, we were going every other day w/o fail. We're starting back on that today. It's made a huge difference for both of us. He's feeling more buff with his muscles beginning to show again...as far as I know, he hasn't started flexing in the mirror yet. I was feeling like I was going to crack in 2 every time I tried to move...so stiff n sore. Working out has helped that considerably.

I'll start over again today...right now.

Rita