WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning from Portland, another clear day in store, ahhhhhh! :happy: The water in the bird bath is frozen solid. The ground underneath my feet went crunch crunch crunch while hiking on the trails at the park yesterday. I wore the headband that covers my ears but just about froze my nose! The thin black gloves I like to wear are not warm enough - time to pull out my thicker ones. They're buried somewhere in the drawer with my socks and undies. Might be a good time to clean it out since it's a big jumbled mess. but I'll wait for a rainy day. Sunshine means outdoor time! You gotta get it while you can around here.

I put unsweetened almond milk in my coffee this morning, blech, it's absolutely horrible. :sick: I'll find another use for it.

Beans beans beans! They are absolutely the best food on earth. :love: Soak them overnight for best results, but the quick-soak method is fine, too. I like them cooked in water, adding chili powder, ginger and thyme. Sometimes I like them just plain, sometimes I make soup beans adding all kinds of veggies and chicken broth. Add salt only at the end, as salt interferes with the cooking of beans. I'm adding less and less salt all the time, matter of fact lately I've been adding none at all, then putting a tablespoon of salsa and a bit of cheese on top when I serve them. There's a delicious recipe for 3 bean salad, too, using canned kidney, green and garbanzo beans, minced red onion and garlic, fresh parsley, T olive oil, T red or balsamic vinegar and T of sugar if you like. I like it in the summer mostly, but it's great any time.

Less time on the computer is one of my resolutions. My sit-bones tell me when time's up! :laugh:
    Fitness goals: Continuing daily with yoga, weights, push ups and crunches, 35 min each day this week plus regular walking/jogging with doggies. I'm up to 30 push ups now, and after doing this routine for the last 2 1/2 weeks I can almost touch my forehead to my knees when doing the back stretch! :noway: When I first started I could barely bend at all. Limberland, here I come.
    Other things I must accomplish (on rainy days only) - deep cleaning in my closets & dresser drawers, tossing clothes!
    And most importantly, treat myself with kindness!

You're such a wonderful group of gals. Thanks for being here! :flowerforyou: My sit-bones are starting to call out, I must get moving.

:smile: jb from NW Oregon
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Back to add my goals for this month. Small this month due to taking care of my husband until his casts come off later this month.
    1 - Limit sweets - I am a stress eater and the sweets have been bountiful for the last 6 weeks.
    2 - Do more cross stitch - I eat less when my hands are busy
    3 - Get my "Exercise" Room more organized

Have a great day everyone!
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hi to the group-- looks like a great group. My resolution for January is to walk up the stairs at work.

So... good intentions, but it turns out our stairwell is locked from the stairs into the offices for security purposes. So... looking for a new January resolution/good habit!
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Chilling with the grand daughters today!! We are going to do Dance Fit 4 shortly. That should be interesting!! Brought my own diet lunch of weightwatchers whole wheat bread and skinless turkey breast plus fat free yogurt. trying to be good!!

Smwert
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Is ti to late to join???
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday morning!

It just took me an hour to catch up on the posts since Saturday -- so much for spending less time on the computer! I'm pleased to announce that the rat has succumbed to poison and departed this world, so hubby can drive his car again. I'm finally having my hair cut and highlighted this afternoon, which is way past due. Hooray! Hubby and I went shopping yesterday -- Dillard's was having a wonderful sale and I got some really nice things including an ornate red Peter Nygard light coat with black ribboned roses and embroidery all over the bottom and cuffs. I love things that are unusual!

JB -- I loved your New Year's message and the socks analogy. You write so well!

Deb A. -- I, too, dance alone when nobody can see me. It's just better than way, with no comments to listen to! I loved your daughter's squirrel story... they're always so much better in retrospect.

Linda Sundance -- Thanks for trusting us with your weight. You're truly an inspiration and always so positive. Hooray for losing 8 lbs. in December, that's amazing. I can relate totally to those M&M bumps! :flowerforyou:

Lin -- 30% on your body weight -- may I say WOW!!!!

Michele -- We had only 3 television channels when I was growing up in small-town Montana. I mostly read books. Congratulations on Bryan's engagement! I can understand the mixed feelings, and hope you'll get to know more about her soon, and that you'll like what you learn. Sending airline tickets sounded like a good idea to me!

Lila -- Your sushi looks wonderful! I do love sushi, but don't have any idea how to make it. My son bought a mat a few years ago and tried it once -- I wonder what became of it.

DeeDee -- I don't know a lot about cooking beans, but understand that if you soak them overnight first it removes a lot of the gas-causing properties. They also cook faster that way!

Eileen -- That's so wonderful that you get to go off of your blood pressure meds! :flowerforyou:

Barbie -- I'll try to remember to sign off -- it's a great idea!

Jane in Colorado
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Boy, the pool closes for a couple of weeks and I get out of shape. I did approx an hour, but I will be sore tomorrow, which is a walking day. I have got to log on at least twice a day or else I get to behind in the reading and want to skip.

Bump is used to save your place in the reading of posts, when you don't have time to post yourself.

Linda C.- Yes I usually label all the vaccumn sealed bags, but these are containers and I will tell you I don't know where my head was with these, but not a one is labeled so it's SURPRISE look what you get to eat. It is mostly soup, but I will label them from now on.

Manon3- I hate the cold, but love the walk.

Julie- What type of beads do you make? I make wire sculpture jewelry.

M from Pa-No, I'm not gluten intolerant, I'm a diabetic and I just prefer to get my carbs from fruit and veggies, cause you can have more of those for the carbs. I don't do more than 40 carbs at a time and prefer to limit them to 16-20 a meal.

Tigress from GA (I use tigress because there is already a Laura)
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just got my walk in. Boy it is sunny and cold outside. Hope the weather man is wrong for tomorrow morning.
    Possible freezing rain. If so just have to get on the old dreadmill tomorrow.
    Vacation is flying by. 1 more week .But helps that I can get a routine down.
    I work 12 hour rotating shifts.
    Graveyard is the toughest for me.
    Time to get off the computer.

Joyce SW Washington
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,165 Member
    Options
    When I was interested in starting yoga (although that did not work out for me at that time)
    friends told me to purchase this DVD:

Sun Salutations - Yoga for Everyone

It's a 24 minute yoga program for all levels of expertise. The DVD is by Living Life Productions,

That's all I know, I was too stiff and fat to do it. Will try another day!

Be well.

Lin from Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    December goals

1) maintain & stay consistently within 5 pounds of goal weight (oops)
    2) stay within calorie goal at least 6 days a week (fine until December 24)
    3) no holiday binge! (FAIL!)
    4) do more upper arms work (FAIL!)
    5) meet annual exercise goal for elliptical (480K steps), rowing machine (1200K), and bike (3600 miles) (done!)
    6) finish Christmas shopping by month's end (yes, although a couple of my gifts were IOUs...)
    7) avoid holiday stress (FAIL!)
    8) be kind

January goals

1) Get back within 5 pounds of goal weight
    2) stay within calorie goal at least 6 days a week
    3) log even when I'm off the wagon
    4) do more upper arms work, including meeting monthly goals for pushups and weights
    5) hula hoop 1000 circles a day
    6) be kind
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newest members, I am still quite new after only a few months too! This is a great place, keep participating, every day or every week!

Today is Day 85, and I feel like the holidays cost me time, but not persistence... Yesterday was a pretty clean day, and the body, that machine I live in, feels like it is starting to run smoother...and the feeling is itself a motivation....if I can keep the body improving and feeling good, then my real task is going well. I have logged every day, and when you look at the recent foods there are all kinds of unhealthy foods there, that remind me that I ate them and had to log them! Its like a bad mirror experience. I am hoping this kind of food insanity does not spread to other holidays. Except for restaurant meals, I can escape eating at other people's homes!

Hope this kind of insanity is gone from your lives as of today, and that you have happy and healthy choices today!

BJ, Southwestern Ontario
  • LillieMaesMom
    LillieMaesMom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi BJ!
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm a newbie, and can relate to the analogy that your body is the machine you live in. I've made up my mind not to be a slave to this body and its appetite. I am making this body MY slave! and deciding when to eat, what to eat, and to be active even if this body is resisting! When I feel hunger pangs and it isn't time for a meal or snack, I consciously tell my body "no!" Much of my eating has been to take my mind off stress, loneliness, or boredom and I'm very good at mindlessly munching in front of the tv. That has changed, by golly! With the help of the Jenny Craig program, the online support with JC and here, and with God's help (prayer!) I'm making a permanent lifestyle change. Accountability is part of my strategy, and honesty is paramount in journaling all food eaten. If I cheat, I only hurt myself, right?! So here's to meeting our goals, getting down to business -- while still learning from each other and enjoying life! Cheers! :D
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Well so much for not letting her get to me. Within the first 30 minutes of being here I was so angry, so demotivated and demoralized, and so depressed I was contiplating ending it all until I thought of Olivia. I need to get some help. I will seek it out. At least I only have 2.5 hours left today to deal with it.

I am sick to my stomach all the time now, (no longer flu just stress) I gained over the holdiay because I was a depressed slug. I am trying to get myself back in gear. I have plans to tap and then treadmill for an hour. hope I stick to it.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    Washington
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    rjadams? I went back to try and find a post where you mention someone getting to you, but couldn't find one. Who is getting to you and why or you letting them? The only one who gets to me is my husband's ex - who sleeps all day and lives on our money, but that's another story.

You have me worried. I read your profile - sounds like you have a great husband, two daughters and two doggies. If one of the humans can't cheer you up, then bury your head in one of the furry friends. Cheer up, have a good workout, and hopefully your spirit will return.
  • MTGWW
    MTGWW Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Karen. Just coming back to my fitness pal, after a very half hearted attempt for a week in October. Thought i would joing your group as I fit your age range and can relate to women are age more readily. My husband is going to try to do this also. He has never counted calories or weighed anything before, so hope he can adjust to this. It would be fun to do this together with him. Hope to get to know you all a little better in the coming days. Looks like a number of you have had some great successes. Hopefully come the New Year next year I can be looking at a new me also. My goals is to loose 50 pounds. I really could loose 75, but I can't even imagine that right now, so I'll aim for 50. Wish me luck.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!
    Welcome new people.Anyone can join,just pop in.
    I love reading the posts.
    Hubby is sick,so not over doing it as I feel not so good.It`s 15 outside,and with my asthma,will exercise indoors.
    Have a great day!
    keep coming back!!
    hugs
    jane
  • LBP61
    LBP61 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello! May I join you? I will be turning 52 this month (how did that happen?) I have 20 lbs to loose but mostly just want to stay healthy, eat right, and exercise! I need motivation!

I have never had a weight problem until I started taking Inderol for my migraines. One of the side effects is that you never feel full. I am going to have to work hard on that. I want to eat all the time now. The migraines are now doing much better, but I need to get rid of the 20 lbs I packed on in 6 months!.
  • TinaKutz
    TinaKutz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been losing weight for a while, and still have about ten more for my goal. Hoping to reach it by my birthday (51!) in March. A support group seems like a great idea! Add me if you want a friend :)
  • emtjab
    emtjab Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...is there a group that goes along with this post that i should join or ask to join???

thanks!!!!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: Hmmmmm so much for my healthy start to the new year. Back to the drawing board! I need to plan my meals with lower calorie foods.

:flowerforyou: I will do better tomorrow.

:flowerforyou: My first day back at work was very busy, loads of emails to catch up on from my time off before Christmas, it was almost lunch time before I caught up, then there were the "extras" answering phone queries, scanning documents into records etc, I hadn't even started todays referrals, but hey ho, I can only do what I can do, I'll make a start on them first thing in the morning.

:flowerforyou: I should read all the posts before I eat :bigsmile: it's no good getting inspired and motivated afterwards when I've already eaten a slice of Christmas Cake :embarassed: :embarassed: If I'd caught up with the posts first, I might (might) not have had the cake - well you never know. You are all so good at helping my willpower.

:heart: RJ sorry you are having a hard time at the moment, and hope you feel less stressed soon.

:drinker: Welcome all the newcomers.

Have a good rest of the evening.

Viv from York UK (where it has finally stopped raining for a few hours)