Anyone here over 50?

Options
Hello,
Wondering if anyone on this site is over 50? Is it just me or is it 10 x as hard to lose weight at this age then 20 years ago?

Hope to speak to someone for inspiration!

Jo55

Replies

• 2pupsmama
    Options
    53 yr old waving atcha.:drinker: Yes I do find it harder but sometimes I think thats because I've had so many years of bad habits acquired that it takes that much more to make new habits. Sending you a friend request. Lots of over 50's here btw
  • aconner114
    Options
    Hey Charlene

Just what kind of inspiration do you want?
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm over 50--almost 59. and it is harder. Women burn fewer calories post-menopause. and even more, there are the years of losing weight and regaining that end up losing us some muscle, making it tougher to lose the next time. But we can do it. We have to do it. We're at the age where musculoskeletal problems, diabetes, high blood pressure and other serious maladies will come visiting if we're packing a lot of extra pounds. So, yes, sympathy for us, but no excuses. WSe just have to work harder and more persistently, and with the wisdom of years :) and the internal strength it brings...and with buddies we'll find here...I feel quite certain we can and will do it.
  • hijude57
    hijude57 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. It's much harder after menopause. Metabolism slows down. I'm happy to see so many people getting it done while they're young:drinker:
  • TracieCS
    TracieCS Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 56. I logged in after a 2 year absence. 2 years ago I weighed 7 lbs less than today! I hope my stick-to-itiveness has increased. LOL. I'm usually healthy as a horse and want to stay that way. I would like to wish these wrinkles away, lose 15 lbs, fit back into size small. Two years ago my husband and I were jogging 3 X a week. This summer it was too hot and right now it is too cold. The treadmill is too dusty......I'm being somewhat funny here. It's time for us to get off the couch and limit it to half what it is now. Good luck to everyone.
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi Charlene. My name is Charlene as well and I'm 64. It's extremely harder to lose weight after 50. I've just joined myfitnesspal and hope this will get me to my goal. I'm retired and we have a trip to New England this summer and I'd like to be down about 20 or 25 lbs before the trip.
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm 54, and yes it's harder but so important for our health. I am determined to reverse some of my health problems and to stay active.
  • TracieCS
    Options
    Yep. The 3-day, 10 lb diet worked 30 years ago. I'd like to blame it on genetically modified food but I doubt that is it. Thirty years ago we were also chasing kids around...activity helped I'm sure.:wink:
  • TracieCS
    Options
    Wow, that's how much weight you've lost?
    You go!
    198441 Posts: 14
    Options
    Not yet there, but have been told your age should make no difference!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a little bit harder, but don't let that cloud your mind ....... I'm 61 & managed to lose 45# without too much of a struggle ..... mostly by eating less junk, by enjoying reasonable-sized portions of healthy food ...... and by getting up off the couch & moving more ....... now I'm working on the next 10-15 lbs ......

Best of luck to you :drinker:
  • moneypenny50
    moneypenny50 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Logged in after a two year absence.Yup 56; Post Menopausal. Incredibly hard to lose weight. I was skinny till I was 34; had my first child, kept on 10 lbs; had another at 38; kept another 10 lbs. and slowly over the past 18 years managed to add another 20. It was always two pounds up and one pound lost. I joined the gym over 2 years ago and continued to gain weight. I know most of it is overeating, but I dont really "over eat". I over eat for my age and metabolism. I remember my grandmother "ate like a bird". Now I know why. I am determined this year to take off 20. I would be satisfied with that, it would be a healthy weight for my size and age. any less would probably look sickly. I just have to stick with it till I lose the 20; then maintaining should be fairly easy. It's the losing that is so hard. I'm usually good for about a month, and then I quit. Lets hope its a good year for all of us!
  • lynford100
    lynford100 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 55. I began gaining weight when I had to stop running at age 47 due to knee problems. I took up yoga, and I HIGHLY recommend it for the over-50 crowd. It works out every single muscle in your body, including the upper body, without the boring weightlifting in the gym dominated by young people. Start with a beginning class if you have never done it before, because when you start you feel like you are dying. Stick it out, and after about 5 classes you will feel and look better. I joined this site because I have gained about 10 pounds after taking on a new job and drinking too much wine in the evenings. Maintaining your weight after 50 takes constant vigilance -- and that is how I gained 10 pounds. :happy:
  • carefulkate
    carefulkate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This year I am 60!!!! I will never be the same weight I was when I was 30 but I need to be fitter and slimmer than I am now I am determined to stop using my age as an excuse and lose 1 stone before my birthday in April I know how eat less move more just need to do it it might be harder but it is not impossible Good luck in your journey x
  • Sib60
    Sib60 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I'm 52 and find that it is way harder... Totally agree with all of the above posts :)
  • dechantal53
    Options
    I just turned 59. Sick and tired of the diet after diet after diet. I started a no meat, no fish, no dairy diet August 1. I know it really called Vegan. I lost 15 lbs but they were slow and steady. I don't diet anymore I just eat plant based foods. I doubt I will ever eat meat again but I would like to introduce yogurt and fish again but every single time I go to the grocery store I can't bring myself to do it. I didn't gain an ounce over the holidays and did have a few cookies, alcohol and chips. Today I am going back to my way of eating and will give up all soda's and sweets for the year. I gave up sodas for almost two months but when I started with one I went back to once a day and then twice a day. I love green tea and drink that for my caffeine. Anyway I need to log my food which always helps to let me know I am getting enough protein etc but I have become so lazy. Anyone need a buddy for that part let me know. I am not a crazy Vegan I just enjoy this way of eating.
  • lmangelic1
    Options
    Yes i'm 51 years young. and have also found it hard to loose weight. my doc told me its my hormones as im on the change. i believe that eating clean is the best way forward. And 40%carbs 30%protein 30%fat and eating every 3 hours works best. so im going to try this. hope this helps you
  • wootsmom
    wootsmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am just starting and I am 51. Seems like I should have my weight under control by now, but I get really bored wtih excercise and life seems to get in the way.
  • marathonbiker
    marathonbiker Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm 63. My problem is keeping the wt off. I had recently lost 50 lbs through another site. Was very active up until the beginning of Dec. I've added almost 20 lbs. Rather than go into all the why's, today is a fresh start, a new beginning. I weighed in at 215, my plan is to lose 5 lbs this month. Getting back into my workouts and healthy eating once again!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    52 knocking on 53s door lol Ill add you add me if you want and yes it is so much harder to lose over 50