Anyone here over 50?

Options

Replies

• vg8pr0
    vg8pr0 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have 40 to lose....sounds like alot but it seems much easier with support. Today is my first day and I'm heading out for a walk in about an hour. (waiting for the temp to rise to at least 40...) I am taking this one day at a time and realize that this time it has to be a forever eating plan.
  • 05suu
    05suu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Loads of people over 50.......:flowerforyou:
    Think its too easy to use as an excuse for being bigger than we should be....(i include myself in that!)
    Its hard at any age.....
    Lost 25 lbs from March to now...put on 5 over Christmas...(Thats another thing...the lbs go on quicker as well...takes a month to lose 5 lbs and two good dinners to put it back on....hahaha) :drinker:
    Anyway..goodluck...add me if you want, as a buddy, and I will gee you up!!!!!
    Don't let anyone tell you your age will hold you back from doing ANYTHING you put your mind to!!!!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    I'm 54, dealing with menopause and Hashimotos Thyroid and soon to have a biopsy of an enlarged nodules on the thyroid gland:( I did wonderful on mfp last year, lost almost 30 lbs...then got cocky and stopped logging and backsliding all the way:( so I'm off to a new start, feel fee to friend me and we can encourage each other!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    49.5 here. I have spent my entire 40s in the 170s, I am glad I didn't let it go higher but it is not a healthy weight if I want to live another 40. Finally facing the fact that even small servings of dark chocolate and red wine can't be a daily event even if I have given up fast food and soda pop. Someone else wrote a few days ago that sweat is fat cells crying, and I realized it takes a lot more work to get fat cells to cry when you're older because they have been the boss for so long, they know all your tricks . I am warning those fat cells now, they are in for a beating in 2013!

Does anyone know if when you're older and you sweat more, does it moisturize those body parts that tend to go dry? eyes/nose/throat etc.
  • ck7156945
    Options
    It is really hard - just coming up to my 52nd birthday and finding it pretty tough, although logging what you eat really helps me. I really notice it if I don't do it for a few days :ohwell:

Keep slogging on - it will be worth it in the end - gotta keep healthy!

Good luck and happy dieting!
  • Leibschen
    Options
    Hi. I am 59 year old female. I am here if you want to chat.....:smile: I have lost 135 pounds since July 13, 2011. Want to lose 20 more....
  • Stephsnew
    Stephsnew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm here at 56..I could also use support from a few new friends. Write to me anytime. We are all here to help one another:)
  • Dylsgram
    Dylsgram Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yep. And some sixty somethings too me included. Much harder to lose weight as we age, however I have finally after years of struggling been able to drop 30+ pounds since july 2012. I met with a dietition and we set up an eating plan. I wasn't sure about it till the pounds started to drop. so easy I don't know why I didn't go sooner. Worth the money spent. Now I'm on my own and still losing. And if you want companionship with ladies in the same boat I'll send you and invite to the Girl Gang a nationwide group of women only that share the trials and tribulations of trying to obtain healthy goals. there are approximently 75 of us from South Africa to Canada and across the US. Just let me know friend me on FB Nancy Heggarty we'd love to have you join us. We originally began this group on Prevention but moved to FB to reach more of our friends.
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    :drinker: 54 here! And yes, I am finding it very difficult. I have lost 15 pounds in a year and a half. I struggle every day.

Anyone here is free to add me.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I'm here, I think the deal is that people are less active as they get older and have dieted and lost muscle mass over the years. When your calories are cut too low (1200) and you don't exercise (lift weights, walk) it's harder to lose weight. Start moving! Good luck!
  • bethiejude
    bethiejude Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Charlene. Well, I'm 71 and you can believe it, it's harder to shift those pounds as you get older! I, personally am not less active, in fact just the reverse; I exercise more now than I have ever done; I walk an aerobic walk on average 4 miles a day. I also walk out for up to 10 miles when the weather is good. Just keep at it, never give up!! I did lose 22lbs when I was 65 so it can be done - now I just struggle to maintain. Good luck
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    52 here. It's harder; but for me I don't think it's because of age as much as it is because of the years (decades!) of bad habits and the abuse that I have subjected my body to. I've been losing pretty easily this time around; but I have a long way to go. Been on this run for 40 days now. So far so good. But for me the 4 month mark is when I usually lose focus and fall away. I could definitely use friends who will help me stay the course to the end.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I will turn 50 in August. Started on here on my 49th birthday. Yes, this is MUCH harder at this age than in our 20s, but it is very doable. I have many successful friends on my list that are over 50, some who have lost over 100 pounds, so feel free to add me if you like. I only have females on my FL. No diss to the males, just my decision when I signed on here.

Weight loss is slower at this age, I have lost 30 pounds in 4 months, but since I have much more patience at this age, I have been able to stick to it. It is amazing how much better I FEEL after just 30 pounds lost. And having so many successful women as inspiration and support, it has been a very enjoyable ride so far.

As you can tell by the many pages of responses, there are quite a few over 50 on here. They just aren't quite as vocal as the young uns. (well some aren't :wink: )
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I totally agree it is harder to loose after 50. Not impossible. I'm not menoposal yet, I had hysterectomy at the age of 36. I'm 51 now. Not sure if that has any thing to do with it being hard to loose or not. Low carb is the only thing that seems to work for me. Best of luck. Add me if you'd like. I'm down 54 lbs and have 46 +/- to go. I log in every day and love motivating and love feed back from others.
  • Gockleyp
    Options
    Hi, I am over 50 as well and have had a 40 lb weight rollercaster the past 5 years, I loose, I gain, I loose, I gain. I a limited on what I can do because of 3 neck surgeries and 2 sholder ones :sad: !! So 1/1/13 I started walking on my treadmill again and watching what I am eating. Hopefully this will work.:bigsmile:

Penny
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and had no problems losing 40 pounds when I finally did "Diet AND Exercise" together. Think that might catch on? I have been on maintenance for a year now.

I tried to leave MFP a few months ago because "I had this down"...and found out if I quit tracking my meals, I tended to creep up in weight...so tracking it is and I am on daily.
  • gino715
    gino715 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 and going to lose some weight once again. I got on this myfitnesspal last Jan 2012 and through the year lost 30 lbs and now gained back 20. Actually in much better shape although my weight don't indicate that. I have been doing excerzing 4 or 5 some times 6 days a week and feel like new even though the weight isn't that different. The hour a day on treadmill and crunches make a big difference in the way you feel. I think the secret in starting an excerzie program is to start slow and do more as you feel like you want to. push yourself a little to next level for satisfaction but don't over do it. Before you know it your advanceing at your own pace and it become addicting. Thats how it worked for me so I thought I would share it. Thanks
  • Trishajac
    Trishajac Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Hi there .... another at 50!

I'm glad so many of us are interested in reaching better health habits in our lives!

I also lost 15lbs last year (joined March 2012) - but have gained most of it back.

I have some great MFP buddies who are doing well on their journey.... I'm hoping I can say the same again!

Looking for friends to support, and to receive support ..... Feel free to ADD me!

All the best everyone!!

Trish
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 in October. I'm new here, and I definitely need to make a lifestyle change! My goals are to lose 100 pounds, tone and strengthen my muscles, get rid of my "granny " arms, and develop a six -pack. (Instead of the keg I have now) I know it will be a lot of work, and there's no magic way for it to happen, but I know this is doable! I may need some encouragement now and again though.
  • debbiegill1234
    debbiegill1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am over 50 and work out regularly - but have still managed to put on approx 10 lbs over the past 12 months. I am really going to try & keep a food journal as I realize there is far too much food making its way into my mouth... lol