Anyone here over 50?

Options

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Can't remember if I already replied or not. Yup, age 59 here. I remember the days when I could lose all the weight I needed to lose just by giving up cheeseburgers and using only one slice of bread for my sandwiches instead of two.

It's a lot harder now, but do-able. I refuse to believe otherwise!
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm over fifty. I came here from the facebook community on weight loss where I felt like everyone's grandmother They were all very nice and supportive but some of the workout they were giving challenges for would kill me, honey. I am happy to help you in any way I can.
  • design549
    Options
    Hi I'm 61 and I agree it's hard to lose the older we become.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 post menopausal. I'm hoping to lose 10 inches of belly fat that have snuck up on me. I don't own scales. I am attempting to do 3 meals, 2 snacks a day 40% good carbs (no starch) 30% lean protein and 30% good fats. Not always sucessful but I'm trying. I find breakfast hard to stick to.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hi hun, almost over 50 , I will be 49 in March. I have worked out my whole life , have had 3 babies, I still workout 6 days a week. I also do bio-indental hormones, which I suggest to any woman over 40 that may need it, declining hormones play a huge role in how we feel, and gaining unwanted pounds. I do a transdermal lotion, with progesterone, testostorone, and estradial, which you can get from a doctor ob/gyn . there are alot of options out there, lot's of on-line coachs that can custom desing a food program just for you, to help you meet your goals. goodluck!!!:smile:
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was an ACE Trainer/Instructor and worked with a lot of people and I can tell you there is a significant difference in weight loss after 50. One of my ladies was thin her entire life and after menopause she started to put on the pounds. My sister who has always been thin and active started to gain weight at 51, which was great for me, cuz when we were kids she'd tease me for being chubby and I always told her it would catch up with her. Here's the think, after 50 you don't have the energy, the joints, the strength you had in you younger days and your metabolism does slow down. Harmones shift and what was easy five years ago is tough. Talk to ten over fifty people--men or women and I'll bet you will hear reports of problems with weight gain and loss of activity after 50.
  • supermoo2
    Options
    Yes it is more difficult once you get older, particularly because most people are less active.

However, it CAN BE DONE!!!!!!

You just have to want it hard enough - and exercise doesn't have to be strenuous.

I lost 52 pounds in 52 weeks - the main exercise was walking, with some cycling, and always using the stairs instead of the elevator.

The big point is that the calories consumed need to be less than the calories used - so if you don't do much exercise, lower the amount of calories you eat.

Don't let anyone put you off....if you WANT to do it you will!!!!

You can add me as a friend if you want, for extra support.
  • eatright2013
    eatright2013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes it is more difficult once you get older, particularly because most people are less active.

You just have to want it hard enough - and exercise doesn't have to be strenuous.

I lost 52 pounds in 52 weeks - the main exercise was walking, with some cycling, and always using the stairs instead of the elevator.

The big point is that the calories consumed need to be less than the calories used - so if you don't do much exercise, lower the amount of calories you eat.

Well said!!
  • eatright2013
    eatright2013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • supermoo2
    Options

Well said!!
    thankyou eatright2013
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey Charlene! It might be harder to lose weight now, but it is more important than ever! Like some others say, now we start to face some health issues if we don't get our weight down. Mine is starting to move now since I started intensifying the exercise and adding arm weight lifting. I have been doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred plus aquacise. I do one M,W,F and the other Tues, Thurs and Sat. On Sunday I go easy and do yoga. When there is no aquacise I go for an hour-long walk on the opposite days. I get very sore so I take lots of epsom salts baths. They really help. Building the muscle stopped the weight loss for a few weeks, but now it is coming off again. Plus I am definitely smaller! I found it hard to find time to do all of this, but now I find I have more time for more other things because I have more energy and I seem to be thinking much more clearly. Good luck with your journey! Add me if you like :)
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi there, The best things for me are cutting out anything too processed (junk food, but also other things I don't make myself from scratch), counting calories on MFP, and strength training! I do aerobics like walking or whatever, but the strength is really making the difference to my size as well as to my overall quality of life. I don't have to get someone else to lift everything from chairs to groceries. I am probably burning more in the everyday now because I can lift the crock pot down myself. haha! I get very sore from exercise so swear by the epsom salts baths. Soreness is becoming less of an issue too the stronger I get. Good luck!
  • Moosebumps
    Options
    I'm 60. I've been lucky in that I've been LOSING weight since my late 50's without trying. I'm DETERMINED that this is MY year to get the rest of this weight off and tone up.
  • joniannbrooks
    joniannbrooks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 53.
  • wobblylynn
    Options
    I'm 52 and have put off losing my baby weight for 10 years, now it's worse than ever! I get discouraged when I read that it's twice as difficult to lose weight at my age, you have to eat half of what you used to and exercise twice as much - tell me that's not true - please!
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    I'm 60 and I agree that it has been harder to lose now, but I'm doing it with the help of this place. Any one that needs support here feel free to add me.
  • dancer1ab
    dancer1ab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am. Just stick with it. It really works. Slow in the beginning and then watch out - the ounces start to drop almost daily. I got myself a new $20 scale at Costco that shows decimal losses! It really helps to see you have lost .2 lbs - such an inspiration!! Keep it up and you will be so amazed and like it's been said: "It's just math!" :D
  • dll2013
    dll2013 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Love to see that there are a few over 50's on here. Most everyone seemed to be younger. I have battled my weight all my life and it is harder the older I get. Bad thyroid, slower metabolism and post menopause all contribute. I have had 2 real wake up calls in the past few years with both of my parents dying of cancer at fairly young ages. It's time to get this weight off so I can live a long healthy life for my family. I want to see my granddaughter grow up and be able to participate in her life. Would love to talk to anyone who is going through similar circumstances.
  • Chrisalyce
    Chrisalyce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 17 pounds last year on a special program where the foods are provided. Kept it off for awhile, but now is creeping way back. I'm 67 and it sure is harder the older you get!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I will be 68 in about one week. 20 off in 2 months...without exercise or excuses. It's all about the food.