Anyone here over 50?

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    going on 60b and yes the last 10 won't move very quickly or really any of it and the worst is the allotted calories for 59 is close two 0 ;-)

'
  • akolstad
    Options
    Hi . I am over 50. And I just don't understand this weight gain.
    All my life I had the opposite trouble of being too thin- I mean skinny to the point of unattractive. When I was pregnant I had to be on diets to gain weight. Now I can't eat anything without putting on pounds. I look like a butterball. And no, I am not especially into exercise. Part of it is because work hours prevent it, but part of it is due to a life long health problem that gives me seizures/dizziness. It seems like its all around my middle and that I need to loose about 30 lbs. My double chin is probably genetic and is not ever going away. Sorry for the attitude, but this is where I'm starting.
    AJK
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Its been much harder for me at 50. Hard at 40 harder at 45 and even harder now. I think I need to exercise more to make it up:smile:
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I don't do the "friending" thing on MFP, but here is my post-50 weight loss experience:

I started transitioning to a healthy lifestyle and found MFP at age 57; lost 90 pounds and started in maintenance at age 58; completed my first EVER 1\2 marathon at 58; I'm turning 59 next week and have maintained the loss for 10 months; planning on running the Disney World Full Marathon on my 60th birthday month (Jan 2015).

Here's a link to my latest update thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1135926-obese-menopausal-to-1-2-marathon

Just Believe you can do it and consistently log & exercise...your body just might surprise you. Be grateful that it at least got you this far and honor it with good food and exercise.
  • Jacquelinemalone
    Jacquelinemalone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I am over 50. I just started the program on Jan. 17, 14. I have a class reunion coming up .I an determine to lose .
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of folks our age around here. I'm 51 and have been active on this site since November of 2013 so I'm kind of new. I have lost and gained weight (mostly gained) for years and years, but I'm now post-menopausal and have heard that it's more difficult to lose. Thankfully, I am not yet finding that to be the case...perhaps because I have so much to lose?

One thing I can tell that I've found true for me is that there is no quick fix/temporary solution. It really does require a serious commitment to changing how I live my life. I want to be a healthier person so I eat and exercise like a healthy person does.

Anyway, I'd be happy to offer you support and help you along your journey, if I can. I depend on my daily dose of support from my friends here.
  • tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am staring 52 in the fact! It is definitely harder to lose it at this age. I am finding Patrick Holford's low GL healthy eating plan incredibly good though. You eat good quality but small amounts of carbohydrate and protein 5 to 6 times a day with lots of veg and a little fruit. I am really increasing the kinds of food I eat and it is making a big difference. Commitment to exercising is important too though, especially to protect our bones. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Wgngirl
    Options
    I just started one week ago, what keeps me going is I want to look good for summer. When I don't fell like working out, or if I'm hungry I just remember if I don't do the right thing I will still be like this in summer. I am a very determined person. I hope this help you in some way.
  • Wgngirl
    Options
    That a lot of weight to lose, I love what you wrote.
  • Wgngirl
    Options
    Good for you for having a goal, I'm sure you will reach your goal.
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    I'm 52, and after a year of working at it I'm in the best shape I've been in since my mid-twenties. Definitely have to work harder at it, but as some of the earlier posts have said some basic weight training goes a long way to maintaining muscle mass and hence BMR, and I seem to have responded really well to some HIITs in the last couple of months. Us "slightly oldies" can do this, just stick to it!!! I'm so inspired by my Dad at 82 and still walking 5 - 10 miles a day (plus the odd game of table tennis) and see myself as building the foundations now to be like that should i be lucky enough to reach his age.

(Happy to accept that blokes probably have it easier though without some of that hormonal stuff going on....)
  • Andrea20001
    Andrea20001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI I am nearly 55 and yes find it harder but wonder if I am less motivated
  • midnightjogger
    midnightjogger Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am exactly 50 years old and am not having any problems yet. I am losing at the exact rate I set my goals for- 10 lbs. a month. I've only reached one plateau so far, and I increased my exercise and I continued to drop off the pounds. I still have a long way to go -97 lbs. to be exact. But I started out at 265 lbs. and am down to 230 lbs. in 3 1/2 months.Hopefully this will continue. I am not quite in menopause yet- and maybe this is why it's been easier for me.