Help! Aggressive dog and newborn

Options
Mikkimeow
Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
I have three dogs, a 1.5 year old female German Shep/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, 5 yr old female Pitbull, and a 1 yr old male Basset Hound. I love all three of my dogs to death, except, well my Basset. Most people assume (as did I incorrectly when I bought him) that bassets are easy going, kid friendly dogs. He was only two months when we adopted him and the tiniest thing ever. Anyway, when he was 6 months, he started having some aggression issues. It started with him trying to dominate our Shepard, then progressed to nipping me. Now, he would never growl, snap, or nip in front of my boyfriend, only when we were alone. Since I have become pregnant, his aggression has become drastically worse.

He has bitten me multiple times hard enough to draw blood, once on my face where he barely missed my eye. All but one of the worst bites were when the bf was at work, and because he doesn't see it happen, he thinks it isnt that big of a deal. I have trained dogs for my most of my life, and this is incredibly hard to handle. We took him to one trainer that suggested we put him down because he was unmanageable, and our vet prescribed him depression pills that ended up making him worse.

He is starting to worry the bf, because he has bitten him twice now, and tried to attack our neighbor's three year old daughter through the fence. I have no idea what to do. He has attacked our sweet pitbull and torn her ear open, and triggered our epileptic shepard into seizures because he hurt her so badly. And this dog only weighs forty pounds! I would say that it is dominance based aggression, and I am very worried that he will attempt to hurt our baby, which is due in february. His aggression displays come mostly when he is excited or told to not do something. Any type of contact near his face, legs, or stomach triggers instance snarling. A few times he has come into the house and attempted to chase me and corner me in a room.

I have tried over the months to establish my role as alpha male, and to show him that he will not have privileges if he continues to display aggression. I took him to a shelter to *kitten* his mental state, and was told that he was unadoptable. I would never be able to put him down, and couldnt imagine giving such a high maintenance dog away.

But, I am out of options. I need help.

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Sorry to state the obvious but if the dog cannot be trained it needs to be put down or go to someone who is willing to deal with it. Don't find yourself in a situation where you are dealing with the loss of a child. It happens far too often.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    he actually can be trained, but he sounds like too much trouble, put him up for adoption on kijiji or something, your child should be more important than some cranky animal
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I love animals, dogs in particular. I've worked with several trainers and in a vet hospital. There are very few dogs who are just natually MEAN. Having said that, this dog needs help, guidance, patience.. and time. Unfortunately, you don't have enough time to get him to where he needs to be before your child is born.

Find a foster family, find a trainer, find someone who is willing and has the time/resources to help him. Try to find a rescue program specifically geared toward his breed. You first priority has to be your sweet little one (which I'm sure/it's obvious that it is). Please don't harbor guilt over the decision- you are doing what it right/necessary for your child.

*Hugs* for you- I know it's hard to make that decision.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    Sorry to state the obvious but if the dog cannot be trained it needs to be put down or go to someone who is willing to deal with it. Don't find yourself in a situation where you are dealing with the loss of a child. It happens far too often.

I completely agree that something should be done before a child is put in danger. However, euthanasia is absolutely that last option I would ever consider. Just... no. I am looking for any option other than that. I have worked in shelters, vet clinics, kennels, and never have I seen an animal that couldn't be brought back. I am hoping someone has an idea as to what I can do to fix this.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    I love animals, dogs in particular. I've worked with several trainers and in a vet hospital. There are very few dogs who are just natually MEAN. Having said that, this dog needs help, guidance, patience.. and time. Unfortunately, you don't have enough time to get him to where he needs to be before your child is born.

Find a foster family, find a trainer, find someone who is willing and has the time/resources to help him. Try to find a rescue program specifically geared toward his breed. You first priority has to be your sweet little one (which I'm sure/it's obvious that it is). Please don't harbor guilt over the decision- you are doing what it right/necessary for your child.

Thank you. I would be willing to give him to someone without children and the knowledge capable of handling him. Maybe a rescue group would help if I could guarantee that he would not be put down.
  • k8ecakes
    Options
    There are people who can take and train the dog so you don't have to euthanize it... Try to ask your local police station. They might be able to recommend an animal control facility that doesn't euthanize.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am a true dog lover. Quite frankly, I love my german wirehair more than most people. He is an amazing dog and contributes so much to my quality of life. I can't imagine life without him. I also love my little pitbull girl. She is an affectionate, beautiful little soul who makes me very happy.

Having said that, I love my daughter more than life itself and would sacrifice anything to keep her safe. I would not have a single, second thought about getting rid of either of my dogs if I thought they posed even the smallest danger to her. Period.

I would advise you to attempt to rehome your bassett with full disclosure of his aggressive tendencies to someone who is familiar with the breed and with aggressive dogs.

If you are not able to find a suitable home where he will not pose a danger to others, I would put him down. I know that is a harsh thing to say, but there is no room in our society (in my mind) for domestic animals who pose a threat to humans.

I love all animals, especially dogs, and my dogs are truly members of my family. I cannot imagine having a happy life without pets, but I also believe that anyone who would risk harm to their child by keeping a known dangerous animal with a history of biting is criminal and crazy and is committing the crime of child endangerment by allowing a dog with a history of biting people to have any kind of access to children or other unsuspecting people.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Too much risk even if the dog is trained it is still a liability you cant afford around a newborn. The dog needs to goto a new home. I dont agree with putting him down either
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    As heartbreaking as it will be, I think euthanasia may be your only option. I love my pets like family, but if any of them were actually dangerous (to people, my other pets, and especially a baby), they'd be gone. No ifs ands or buts. It's sad, but when you exhaust all options, there's nothing else to do. You can't send him to another family, because he'll be the same problem for them. I've worked for a vet and worked in a shelter... and I firmly believe there's just some dogs that just too unstable.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,084 Member
    Options
    I agree, I've worked with dogs all my life, and this one has been allowed to go way too far.

He needs to be rehomed, or you need to spend a lot of money and time to have him re-trained. At this point, you will not be able to do it yourself.

Please don't ever allow this dog to be anywhere near children ever again. He is dangerous.

And everyone notice? It wasn't the German Shepherd or the Pittie.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

This. Someone who doesn't have any children, or other dogs might have the time and energy to train him properly (and he might just behave better in a home where there's no competition for attention).
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    I agree, I've worked with dogs all my life, and this one has been allowed to go way too far.

He needs to be rehomed, or you need to spend a lot of money and time to have him re-trained. At this point, you will not be able to do it yourself.

Please don't ever allow this dog to be anywhere near children ever again. He is dangerous.

It hasn't been a matter of him being "allowed" to go too far. He has been to three different trainers (Not including myself, who is a certified trainer). He is kennel trained and does not go near guests. I do not feel comfortable rehoming him with his aggression issue unresolved. He is not the worst case I have worked with, simply the most time consuming and longest to cure. He would in no way be allowed near my child, and every precaution to keeping him from others has been made.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Very true.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You *might* be able to find a breed specific rescue that would be able to rehabilitate him, but I don't think any can guarantee he won't be euthanized.

Here's the thing... there's sweet, gentle, perfectly adoptable dogs who are put down every day in shelters in every town across the country, just because there's not enough homes to go around. Maybe I've become hard-hearted, but when there's not enough homes and resources for good dogs, I can't justify trying to save a dangerous one.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    As everyone here is entitled to their opinion, I find it disheartening that euthanasia is the go to option for some of you. I guess I will state openly, I will not have this dog put down knowing that there is something I can do to help him.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Pick which one you like better and pass the other on to someone who will give it love.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    My sister has three dobies and one is particularly scary to me. She has done extensive blood testing and they've determined that he has both a thyroid problem and blood sugar issues.

If both get out of control, she had to keep him caged, because otherwise he will go for her throat. She finds that if she feeds him regular but smaller meals that also helps. But she needs to medicate him daily too.

Perhaps you can see if there's a medical issue at play, but regardless... I would never ever EVER leave that dog alone with kids!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    At the age of 13 months old I was nearly killed by our family's Alaskan Malamute. My parents knew beforehand she had aggressive tendencies as a result of being mistreated by previous owner. You cannot have this dog and your newborn in the same house. Period. Please give the dog to someone who can provide a suitable home.
  • sarahmichelle91xx
    sarahmichelle91xx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would most definitely re home the basset dog, I would not trust it round my children, I don't leave my kids alone with any animal but that one sounds like it could be dangerous.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    We had a rescue dog for about 5 years. We realized she HATED babies and we had to find a nice home for her before our son was born.
This discussion has been closed.