Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help! Aggressive dog and newborn

Replies

• Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Wait? You said it's bitten you multiple times, tried to attack a neighbour child (these people may not be pet lovers and deserve to have a safe place for their children..what if your dog found a hole to crawl through to the neighbours and attacked this child)...

If this is your first, you don't know this...you will not find it easy to make sure your dog is never alone with your baby. Quick as a flash, you'll run in to get a nappy or answer the phone and you'll forget about the dog. You'll be sleep deprived, weary and exhausted...you may forget to shut the gate/door, whatever...I personally find it amazing you're even considering keeping this dog (you've said no dog is untrainable)...???

I'm not a pet owner and frankly, don't like pets myself, but I'm a mom and I can't imagine taking any kind of risk with my child.

He is kept in our backyard and sleeps in our (heated) garage and comes inside only when my boyfriend is there to supervise. I felt terrible for him charging that little girl, yet she was throwing sticks at him and rocks. He did not hurt her. He needs a safe place to be away from children, and she should not have been unsupervised and should have learned to not antagonize strange dogs. He has bitten me, never mauled me.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Sorry, but dog behavioral problems are not always about being allowed to do something. Pure breed dogs are like royalty - there isn't enough gene mixing and eventually you get the bad genes together. If hou as a certified trainer can't and haven't been able to break the dog of this aggression, I doubt anybody will. I hope you find somebody to take it knowing that, but it is always going to have that aggressive tendency.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    If someone was posting saying their child had an attention disorder or any problem and they were struggling to handle it no-one would suggest euthanasia so why suggest that for a pet?

Because nobody in his or her right mind would or could compare a child/human being to a dog/animal.

I was a previous dog and cat owner, but I never had any behavioral problems with them. If I had, I would not have hesitated to put them down to protect my family or other human beings, if no other options were available.

As is was, one of my cats got very ill and euthanasia was the only and "humane" thing to do.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    As everyone here is entitled to their opinion, I find it disheartening that euthanasia is the go to option for some of you. I guess I will state openly, I will not have this dog put down knowing that there is something I can do to help him.
    if you try the basset rescue in your area, they may have trainers who would be willing to work with him. I have adopted bassets all my life, had no male bassets though, always females. this dog needs to be removed from your home before baby is born. please call the basset rescue and explain your situation. they would be more than happy to foster the dog. when I had my first, I had one and my husband had a queensland. the queensland was overprotective of the baby and attacked my basset twice. we found new homes for both of them and the basset rescue took my dog because she was rather old and they felt not adoptable. there are people who do not have children or other dogs that would be willing to work with him i bet.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Shoot the dog.

Yes, because that is the reasonable, knowledgeable, and mature response to asking someone for help. Illegally killing an animal. What a man.

You could be supportive and offer to shoot it for her.
  • Mikkimeow
    I was looking for help, not judgement. I would appreciate sarcastic and rude comments to be left off please. This is not an easy situation for me. I love this dog. His name is Boomer. I raised him, and of course I feel 100% responsible for him. I love him almost as much as a child and I feel that he is "worth" trying just as much as any gentle dog. I recognize that there is something I did wrong to cause this behavior. I accept that. I would be fine with dealing with these issues and working with him until I became pregnant. My daughter has to be my first priority, and I am seeing to that. No, I will not "just shoot him" or put him down. I will find a better outcome for him and for my child.
  • I agree with those who are suggesting finding him a new home - especially with a baby coming. I am sure you love your basset, but when you bring a new born into the situation, I do not agree with keeping him in your care based on everything you have mentioned. Your baby's safety should come first, and I would not consider your household a safe environment with him still there. I really do hope you are able to find a home for him, that you are happy with very soon. :/
  • Look, accept the fact that not everyone loves dogs. I would wonder where this rock-throwing/stick throwing happened when you say the dog is in your backyard all the time? Was the girl in your back yard? If so, unsupervised?

Either way, as a person who was attacked by a large unsupervised dog not on a lead as a child, I have zero sympathy for people who don't have their dogs on leads in public places. Inexcusable. It's an animal. You can't predict when/where or what triggers may make it attack. Kids are the most unpredictable beings on earth. No matter how many times you warn them, they will reach for the dogs bone while it's in the dogs mouth and you have to hope that your dog doesn't fight back.

To be honest, I think the bassett rescue place is the most reasonable solution. Someone who loves dogs can work with your dog.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    If you're a trainer and you've consulted other trainers, and the behavior is escalating, I'm truly not sure what you thought you were going to get out of a bunch of strangers (possibly with no dog experience whatsoever) on a fitness website. I can understand that you're desperate, but still...

Anyway, call your closest rescue and ask them what their options are for aggressive dogs. Also ask the other trainers you've already consulted if they feel like taking him on as a project, since you're overextended, or if they know of anyone who will. Ask your veterinary office if they have any suggestions. Do you have a veterinary behaviorist near by? I think your best bet is networking with people in the business, in your area. We have trainers in my city that work with very aggressive dogs, and one place even has a boot camp type situation that you can send the dog to. Having said that, I would be very uncomfortable with a biting dog in my house, and I work all the time (at a vet clinic) with dogs that I would worry about in my home. I don't know how people do it, but many manage it.

Consider this - if you're faced with having to confine this dog 24/7 to protect your baby, what kind of life is that for him?
  • Mikkimeow
    As everyone here is entitled to their opinion, I find it disheartening that euthanasia is the go to option for some of you. I guess I will state openly, I will not have this dog put down knowing that there is something I can do to help him.
    if you try the basset rescue in your area, they may have trainers who would be willing to work with him. I have adopted bassets all my life, had no male bassets though, always females. this dog needs to be removed from your home before baby is born. please call the basset rescue and explain your situation. they would be more than happy to foster the dog. when I had my first, I had one and my husband had a queensland. the queensland was overprotective of the baby and attacked my basset twice. we found new homes for both of them and the basset rescue took my dog because she was rather old and they felt not adoptable. there are people who do not have children or other dogs that would be willing to work with him i bet.

That's great advice thank you, I will look into a basset rescue.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    I find it astounding that some of you weigh this dog's life so much given the OPs facts:

OP implied she is a certified trainer, yet still failed to stop the behavior
    She said the dog has bit her multiple times (once in the face!)
    Bit the BF twice now?
    Attacked the other two dogs
    Tried attacking a young 3 year old girl next door!?
    3 other trainers have failed with this dog

What else is there to consider? You might get lucky and find someone willing to deal with this problem dog, but it should be OUT of your house immediately. You will risk the life of your child and already its a huge liability for others in the neighborhood.

When I was about 7 years old one of the neighbors dogs got out, ran up the street, and bit me in the face requiring a hospital trip and stitches on the corner of my mouth and cheek. To this day, I grow my goatee to cover it up. This dog was a known problem, but a few seconds of lapsed judgement keeping a gate open caused my injuries and scarred me for life. I wish those people had the guts to do the right thing and get rid of it.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    I think I am going to agree with all over posters. Though the dog can be reprogrammed with time and patience your new baby is far too much of a risk and you do need to rehome this dog now!!!! I say that as an experiendpced dog owner, most of whom have been rescue dogs with various issues. We have overcome things like food aggression and chasing the cat (we have a rescue cat too lol) but with babies I would never ever take the risk with any dogs that I was unsure of. Dont wait, just rehome and maybe someone else will have the right situation to sort the dog out. Ps we have had rescue labs and rotties for years and no it is nothing to do with the breed, just like you do.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    I am a mom of two and have two dogs as well. The reason I'm chiming in is I have a german shepherd-ridgeback mix as well. If you look up Rhodesians, it says that they are great dogs, but if they are hurt, they will hurt back. Without even thinking about it, they will retaliate. Just sharing my experience, my barely 3 year old did something when I had my back turned and she snapped him in the face. It didn't break skin, but did bruise. She stays with my dad and his gf now, bc she just needed a household with only older people-no kids. She is so sweet, it was just her nature to react if she was hurt. My son was terrorizing her. It's a teaching process with toddlers and dogs, some more than others. Anyway, just letting you know since I didn't know if your newborn was your only child and maybe you haven't seen how your dogs will react.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Some dogs, like some humans, do not play well with others. It sounds like your bassie is a dog best keep on his own, with a strong family leader. In the litter, he would have been the puppy that slept off from the rest. The one that only played a short while then snapped at the others trying to bumble over him.

You need to rehome this dog before you baby arrives. You know this and it is the most responsible thing you can do. As someone who has lost a child, the pain of admitting defeat with this dog is NOTHING compared to losing your precious little one. (edit: this was not from an animal)

Get your big girl panties on and start making phone calls.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Ugh! I feel so badly for you. But, well... it seems like something is not right with him. I know it would be difficult but I would definitely re-home him (and properly inform the new owners). I wouldn't feel guilty because he obviously is not happy. Happy dogs don't bite...
    Breaks my heart that he picks on your pit. My brothers poor pit gets beaten up every time they visit my sister because her cats are insane. Poor thing has to sit there and take it and comes home with his face scratched to shreds (I don't think he knows how to properly defend himself and he's 8 years old but TERRIFIED of cats). Having this dog in the home doesn't seem fair to anyone and is definitely reducing the quality of life for the rest of you.

Just to make sure you had all of your basis covered, I would also take him to the vet and make sure he's not in pain or has some sort of medical ailment. It sounds mental, but you never know. As for the meds he's been on, I was attacked by an insane Corgi who was on tons of meds for his "mood disorder".
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Get that dog out of the house immediately, before he attacks or even kills your child. Yes, it is a horrible thing to say. But that is the reality of what can happen.
    I don't think it's responsible to re-home a dog that bites unless you can find a trainer who is experienced and is aware of the situation, but I think most trainers worth their salt will tell you what I am telling you. I know it is hard and I understand the heartbreak that comes with this kind of thing and I am sorry. You don't know me from Adam, so you can feel free to ignore this, but I hope you don't: The only thing to do is to have this dog humanely euthanized.
  • Mikkimeow
    I find it astounding that some of you weigh this dog's life so much given the OPs facts:

OP implied she is a certified trainer, yet still failed to stop the behavior
    She said the dog has bit her multiple times (once in the face!)
    Bit the BF twice now?
    Attacked the other two dogs
    Tried attacking a young 3 year old girl next door!?
    3 other trainers have failed with this dog

What else is there to consider? You might get lucky and find someone willing to deal with this problem dog, but it should be OUT of your house immediately. You will risk the life of your child and already its a huge liability for others in the neighborhood.

When I was about 7 years old I had one of the neighbors dogs get out, run up the street, and bite me in the face requiring a hospital trip and stitches on the corner of my mouth and cheek. To this day, I grow my goatee to cover it up. This dog was a known problem, but a few seconds of lapsed judgement keeping a gate open caused my injuries and scarred me for life. I wish those people had the guts to do the right thing and get rid of it.

Who stated that I didn't have the guts to get rid of him? I am looking for a good home, not a place to just pass him along to some idiot who would let him around children or has no idea what discipline is. Yes, I am an animal behaviorist. Yes, I failed this dog. He does not bite without warning, and does not chase strangers. I have seen much worse dogs and I am finding it pathetic that people are judging me. I am not putting him in the crib with my child for ****s sake. I UNDERSTAND THAT SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE.
  • jonnyman41
    I think I am going to agree with all over posters. Though the dog can be reprogrammed with time and patience your new baby is far too much of a risk and you do need to rehome this dog now!!!! I say that as an experiendpced dog owner, most of whom have been rescue dogs with various issues. We have overcome things like food aggression and chasing the cat (we have a rescue cat too lol) but with babies I would never ever take the risk with any dogs that I was unsure of. Dont wait, just rehome and maybe someone else will have the right situation to sort the dog out. Ps we have had rescue labs and rotties for years and no it is nothing to do with the breed, just like you do.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Wait? You said it's bitten you multiple times, tried to attack a neighbour child (these people may not be pet lovers and deserve to have a safe place for their children..what if your dog found a hole to crawl through to the neighbours and attacked this child)...

If this is your first, you don't know this...you will not find it easy to make sure your dog is never alone with your baby. Quick as a flash, you'll run in to get a nappy or answer the phone and you'll forget about the dog. You'll be sleep deprived, weary and exhausted...you may forget to shut the gate/door, whatever...I personally find it amazing you're even considering keeping this dog (you've said no dog is untrainable)...???

I'm not a pet owner and frankly, don't like pets myself, but I'm a mom and I can't imagine taking any kind of risk with my child.

He is kept in our backyard and sleeps in our (heated) garage and comes inside only when my boyfriend is there to supervise. I felt terrible for him charging that little girl, yet she was throwing sticks at him and rocks. He did not hurt her. He needs a safe place to be away from children, and she should not have been unsupervised and should have learned to not antagonize strange dogs. He has bitten me, never mauled me.

So it is only not okay when your dog has done irreprable damage? No dog should ever bite a person! My sister babysat for a family that had an unruly dog. It had bitten them and the older children, but always "only minor bites." One day the dog bit the baby in the cheek! The baby had to have multiple stitches. I am not an animal hater, but no animal is going to live in my house that might even possibly harm a child. ( He has already proven that it is an option. Children do dumb things now and then. Whether they throw rocks or not it is not okay to respond with agression!) Your reasons of why he really is okay or safe won't mean a whole lot when your baby is bleeding or dead from your dog. Maybe it's just me but people trump dog/animal everyday of the week! Do what you need to, but get rid of that dog.
  • jonnyman41
    please dont take the risk with your baby and there is still time to sort something out for it that does not involve ending its life but once it bites a small child there will be no turning back
This discussion has been closed.