Help! Aggressive dog and newborn

Options

Replies

• bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to let go of a pet and I am sure this is an extremely stressful situation while being pregnant. I know that there are rescue groups for specific breeds. Perhaps they might be able to recommend a course of action?
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I will say this one more time, I am looking to find him a new home, not keep him. Please stop suggesting I am choosing my dog over my child. I fully intend to have him gone before she is born. End of story. But, despite what any of you think, I care about him and want him to go to a good home. Keeping him is not an option for me.

What happens if you can't find him a good home with the guarantee that he won't be put to sleep or that doesn't have kids? What will you do then??
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Please do not put the dog down.. it's not his fault. I don't know where you are located but use this link to obtain the information you need. You can also contact them to find the nearest Basset Hound Rescue to you. I don't mean to sound critical, but you could have prevented any aggression if you had taken the time to do proper training with the dog. You should have taken action at the very first signs of aggression, if that is in fact, what it is. There are many reasons dogs appear aggressive but are not. And yes, I have trained many dogs in my lifetime and guess what.. the dogs behavior is ALWAYS the owners fault. Take the time to learn about the breed, it's needs and training required before making a purchase.

http://www.bassethoundrescue.com/maindefault.htm

"Snapping is a control response. In most cases, you have to look at root cause. Ok - the dog snapped. Was it because I was playing to aggressively? Was I moving the food bowl during feeding? Many times, it is our fault, but we still want to blame the dog because we as humans do not like to be in the wrong. Bottom line is growling, snapping, and biting can all be corrected. The question is are you willing to take the amount of time needed for the correction. Make a good choice. "

Perhaps you missed the fact the OP said she was a certified trainer?

As well as:
    OP implied she is a certified trainer, yet still failed to stop the behavior
    She said the dog has bit her multiple times (once in the face!)
    Bit the BF twice now
    Attacked the other two dogs
    Tried attacking a young 3 year old girl next door!
    3 other trainers have failed with this dog
    Medication made it worse

At what point do you weigh the safety of others over this dog? Seriously...

Trust me, if your dog attacked my child, I'd sue the pants off you and use this thread as evidence.

You cannot realise how horrible it is for a child to be attacked by a dog. I had nightmares for years and still am scared of dogs. The owner did what you are doing and made excuses for the dog (It didn't maul, it just bit, but you provoked it --I was riding a bike at the time, the dog chased me...I did nothing to provoke it)... I will never forgive the selfishness of that owner.

It's as bad as parents who have weapons in the reach of their already disturbed children to me. I can and will only ever blame the owners and not the dogs but the dogs will have to pick up the tab for the owners selfish and unreasonable behaviour.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    First, buy a muzzle, for your safety and the dogs. Second, obedience training. If that doesn't help, dog needs a new home.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You need to have this dog put down!! Sorry, but my son was bitten in the face 8 times and has mulitple scars. I'm sure you want to protect yourself, family, and everybody around you! I think you know what needs to be done and it cant be an easy choice.

Sorry your having to make this choice!
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Please do not put the dog down.. it's not his fault. I don't know where you are located but use this link to obtain the information you need. You can also contact them to find the nearest Basset Hound Rescue to you. I don't mean to sound critical, but you could have prevented any aggression if you had taken the time to do proper training with the dog. You should have taken action at the very first signs of aggression, if that is in fact, what it is. There are many reasons dogs appear aggressive but are not. And yes, I have trained many dogs in my lifetime and guess what.. the dogs behavior is ALWAYS the owners fault. Take the time to learn about the breed, it's needs and training required before making a purchase.

"Snapping is a control response. In most cases, you have to look at root cause. Ok - the dog snapped. Was it because I was playing to aggressively? Was I moving the food bowl during feeding? Many times, it is our fault, but we still want to blame the dog because we as humans do not like to be in the wrong. Bottom line is growling, snapping, and biting can all be corrected. The question is are you willing to take the amount of time needed for the correction. Make a good choice. "

As well as:
    Bit the BF twice now
    Medication made it worse

Trust me, if your dog attacked my child, I'd sue the pants off you and use this thread as evidence.

You cannot realise how horrible it is for a child to be attacked by a dog. I had nightmares for years and still am scared of dogs. The owner did what you are doing and made excuses for the dog (It didn't maul, it just bit, but you provoked it --I was riding a bike at the time, the dog chased me...I did nothing to provoke it)... I will never forgive the selfishness of that owner.

It's as bad as parents who have weapons in the reach of their already disturbed children to me. I can and will only ever blame the owners and not the dogs but the dogs will have to pick up the tab for the owners selfish and unreasonable behaviour.

Your threats are not appreciated. I am not attempting to condone what he is doing. Why do think I am looking for another place for him? Because he isn't safe around children. There is no need to attack me, so please stop.
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options

As well as:
    Bit the BF twice now
    Medication made it worse

By your own words you are stating that it is the owners fault. I am not condoning an animal attacking other dogs or people.. Only that the OWNERS have a responsibility to TRAIN the dogs!

"The owner did what you are doing and made excuses for the dog (It didn't maul, it just bit, but you provoked it --I was riding a bike at the time, the dog chased me...I did nothing to provoke it)..."4

YOU were not the OWNER.. You did nothing to provoke it.. The OWNER should have never let the dog be loose if it chased people or cars or anything... THAT is what I am saying.. it is not the dogs fault that the OWNER was IRRESPONSIBLE.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    The world is full of children. You can't guarantee that there won't be children where he is rehomed. That's my point.
    I'm sorry but children come before dogs.

I'm done.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    How is this even a question?
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I will say this one more time, I am looking to find him a new home, not keep him. Please stop suggesting I am choosing my dog over my child. I fully intend to have him gone before she is born. End of story. But, despite what any of you think, I care about him and want him to go to a good home. Keeping him is not an option for me.

What happens if you can't find him a good home with the guarantee that he won't be put to sleep or that doesn't have kids? What will you do then??

What's the answer to this question ?
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Yes, and sadly, whatever the reason, the dog who is a known biter will be rehomed and possibly go on to bite/kill someone else. To me, the reason is not the issue...bad training, breed, whatever, I don't care.

It's a known biter. As I said, in this case the dog will have to pick up the tab for the owners irresponsibility. Yes, in my case, the dog was put down and that was in the 70s.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Good luck in finding a home for him. Maybe a no-kill shelter? We have a few here and in the notes before adopting it does say what they're aggressive with and there is a clause they can be returned. Is it a possibility something has happened to him to allow this behaviour? I'm just concerned being you're a trainer and he thinks he is still alpha? Our dog is a rescue dog, in our "pack" she is quite low in the ranks - goes hubby, me, kids, one of our cats, her then the other cat. She knows her place and if ever contested it would be put back into place (most probably by our cat!). She's a dobe x lab So quite a big girl. Although, she is slightly dog aggressive. Is fine with dogs until we go to the vet (which unfortunately due to her medical issues is quite a lot), then depending on the dog she could try to go crazy at it. She has anxiety episodes there.
    Some animals chemical unbalance can cause aggressiveness. I have seen BT for animals that are out of whack (I work in a vet lab) and they're aggressive. I've been trained in handling animals and it might not be the most obvious reason on why its aggressive.

You know he needs to be re-homed to someone who can handle that behaviour and needs to be done before Feb. Even my dog who loves my kids dearly I did not trust her with my children to start with. Now my children are older and have been taught how to act around animals I trust her more. And its not her that is going to cause the issue - it would be the kids. Honestly if my dog was aggressive I would never let her near a child. She would have been rehomed a long time before baby was born. She was trained about babies before ours was born (a doll, pram etc) so I walked an empty pram with her so she got used to it - I probably looked like a weirdo!

Its a tough situation as they are family, but hopefully he has a new home soon.
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes, and sadly, whatever the reason, the dog who is a known biter will be rehomed and possibly go on to bite/kill someone else. To me, the reason is not the issue...bad training, breed, whatever, I don't care.

It's a known biter. As I said, in this case the dog will have to pick up the tab for the owners irresponsibility. Yes, in my case, the dog was put down and that was in the 70s.

That may not be the case. The rescue will assess, train and pair the dog with a suitable owner. Someone who understands the breed, it's needs and limitations. There are people who take in these dogs and work with them and they go on to live happy., non biting lives. Unfortunately we are few and far between as it take a serious commitment and constant supervision of the dog.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    Dogs that have bitten before are not biters for life. I absolutely believe I can find him a home that is safe for him and others. "Once a biter always a biter" is no where near true.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    From the OP
    cut--

I have tried over the months to establish my role as alpha male, and to show him that he will not have privileges if he continues to display aggression. I took him to a shelter to *kitten* his mental state, and was told that he was unadoptable. I would never be able to put him down, and couldnt imagine giving such a high maintenance dog away.

But, I am out of options. I need help.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options

That isn't going to happen. Putting him down is not an option, no need to continue. He is my dog and I will find a place for him that is suitable.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    From the OP
    cut--

I have tried over the months to establish my role as alpha male, and to show him that he will not have privileges if he continues to display aggression. I took him to a shelter to *kitten* his mental state, and was told that he was unadoptable. I would never be able to put him down, and couldnt imagine giving such a high maintenance dog away.

You said in your first post you were told he was unadoptable?
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Your threats are not appreciated. I am not attempting to condone what he is doing. Why do think I am looking for another place for him? Because he isn't safe around children. There is no need to attack me, so please stop.

Maybe I should clarify. No one is threatening. Some (in my case) are giving specific examples of REAL events from our lives to give perspective. As a pet owner myself, I DO understand your frustration and sadness to see it go. I just really worry about the safety of others, regardless where this dog goes in the future. Even if the dog went to a trainer and was worked on, if it was to be re-homed after that I would seriously hope for full disclosure of its prior history. Given everything you have said, it seems like a HUGE risk for anyone.

I wish it were simpler for you, honestly. But just think of circumstances were different. One example you have was that it tried attacking a 3 year old girl through the fence. What if the little girl had her arm through the fence (chainlink I'm picturing) to "pet the doggie" and it latched onto her hand / arm?? This conversation would be ENTIRELY different!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    From the OP
    cut--

You said in your first post you were told he was unadoptable?

Load the gun.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options

That isn't going to happen. Putting him down is not an option, no need to continue. He is my dog and I will find a place for him that is suitable.

This sounds like your pride over the safety of others. That's the decision you're making. It's your principled belief that no animals should be put down so you will have to live with the consequences. The dog that bit me had attacked other children in the neighbourhood and the owner reasoned with the families to convince them that the dog was not a biter. It bit me. I was the third bite and the dog was put down. Imagine if I could've avoided that?
This discussion has been closed.