Nervous about going to the gym...

Options
I'm am extremely self conscious and overweight teenage girl and I bought a gym membership with a bunch of (much much slimmer) friends for our New Years fitness goals etc, and we're going tomorrow, but I'm really nervous because I don't want to be judged for being so overweight and unfit... How have people in the same situation found it? I know it sounds stupid :(

Replies

• merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO ME
    first of all
    NO ONE IS GOING TO JUDGE YOU! I went to gyms when I was 300lbs. Trst me when I say everyone is worried about their own self. I have gone to gyms at all sizes. No one will judge!!!! DO not let that stop you from being fit. You deserve to be there like anyone else.
    If anyone did judge you, which I doubt they would, assume they are no one who is worthy of your attention anyway..

BUT SERIOUSLY- why would anyone judge you?: Do you go to a gym and sit around and judge others? No- you go to get YOURSELF in shape!
  • wittersby
    Options
    Just focus on you and your workout! You're not there for them- you're there for yourself! We all have to start somewhere. Congrats on taking the 1st step!
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you do run into people that are judging you, let them judge. For every person that you think is judging you, there are many others thinking this: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
  • nicolebarksdale
    nicolebarksdale Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You do not sound stupid -- you are voicing the concerns of most people (men and women) that go to the gym everyday; whether they are considered 'fit' or 'overweight'. Yes, you will feel self-conscious the first few times you go but that is normal. Focus on your goals and on your workout and you will not have time (or the energy) to worry about others in the gym. Go in with a plan -- that makes it much easier, too. Actually, you will be surprised at the number of people that are willing to assist newbies! Good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to be nervous about starting the gym. I found what really helps me is having my music on and being able to block out other people that way. I go with my boyfriend as well and I find it helps to have someone there to keep me going. The only time anyone has said anything to me was to check that I was okay when I'd been overdoing things and looked (and felt) like I was about to collapse!
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    Don't let those Planet Fitness commercials get to you. Nobody cares what you weight or how you look at the gym. People are focused on their workouts.
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    when i first started going I was in the same boat. I am a big tall guy and my thoughts were "what if I cannot lift enough?" or "what if people see me get winded quickly...?"
    Honestly...no body cares. I was my own worst enemy. most people do not even make eye contact and if they do they give a little nod and are on with their workout.

I don't pay attention to other folks at the gym. If I am running, I focus on the tv on the treadmill (who knew the history channel was so good for running.) If I am lifting i am just focusing on my form.

I have just stared the 5x5 lifting program which has you start with and empty olympic bar (45lbs) and then add 5lbs every workout. I am sure it looks very funny to see a guy my size doing squats with 2-2.5lb weights on the bar. If other dudes wanna judge...whatever.

end of the day, who are you doing this for, You or the folks at the gym.

Cheers!
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I first started. I was very nervous and I had to go alone. I just put my music on and was in my own little world. No one should be judging you...we all go for the same reason!!! So get in there and do what you have to do. You won't regret it!!!!
    And congrats on starting this!!!! :smile:
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Don't be nervous. There will be people that judge but pay no attention to them. You can do this!
  • MiTime2016
    MiTime2016 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Don't let those Planet Fitness commercials get to you. Nobody cares what you weight or how you look at the gym. People are focused on their workouts.

This is so true. And you definitely don't sound stupid, you sound normal.
    Honestly if I happen to notice a heavy person at the gym I think "good for them for being here getting healthy and strong".
    You'll do great
  • ashleereign
    ashleereign Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I work at the gym at the front desk and we see all kinds of people walk through our doors; young, old, thin, overweight, tall, and short.

It doesn't matter.

No one is going to judge you because you are all there for the same reasons - to get FIT!

It is completely normal to feel nervous and out-of-place, but there are employees there to assist you if you need help with a particular piece of equipment. And most importantly, go at your own pace. Your body will tell you when you are reaching the limit. Just so long as you are listening to your body (and not your mind that may be telling you to give up) you will be fine. After the first 4 or 5 visits you'll wonder why you were ever so afraid.
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options

This is so true. And you definitely don't sound stupid, you sound normal.
    Honestly if I happen to notice a heavy person at the gym I think "good for them for being here getting healthy and strong".
    You'll do great

^^ THIS....TOOK THE WORDS OUTTA MY MOUTH^^
  • Suecurrie24
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Went in last night and signed up for a gym. Tonight I'm going for the first time. We can both do this! The good news is, I bet that piles of other people will be doing the same thing for the first time, and I bet we'll all be looking at each other and thinking, "Are they looking at me?" Haha! Seriously, the hardest thing will probably be walking in the door (I hope). :). Good luck, and have fun!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I'm am a NORMAL teenage girl and I bought a gym membership with a bunch of friends THAT PROBABLY WILL ONLY GO THIS MONTH for our New Years fitness goals etc, and we're going tomorrow, but I'm really nervous because I HAVE A BAD HABIT OF JUDGING MYSELF AND BELIEVING THAT OTHER PEOPLE JUDGE ME AS WELL... How have people in the same situation found it? I know it sounds stupid :(

First of all - I fixed your post.

Second of all - decide that you WANT people to judge you.

I want to be judged.

I want people to look at me, look at my body and say - damn - that girl works hard on her body, it looks homemade. I bet she knows her way around the gym.

I dont that well yet, but I want to.

I get over fear most often by deciding that I want a reputation.

I want a reputation as the one that didnt punk out and quit when everyone else did.
    I want a repuation as that girl that took over her life and completely changed her body.
    I want a reputation as the girl who got herself strong and the guys gives her props after workouts, not soccer moms (no offense soccer moms - but yall tend to stay yalls *kitten* on the elliptical and treadmill all the time and Im just not into that stuff :heart:)
    I want a reputation for being awesome.
    I want my gym to know it more than my friends.

That's how I move past the fear.

by evolving instead.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Gyms in January are full of new people - just make sure you are still going in a few months time!
    If people judge you at all they are most likely to think "good for her".
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mapy46tM9K1qke924o1_500.png
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Find a workout partner to keep your mind off the other people. Also, just remember nobody is going to do this for you ! You have to want this change enough to face your fears head on.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    People will think whatever they want. You cant prevent that no matter what you look like. Just oncentrate on you. No one is going to say something horrible to you to make you feel bad. Once you get your butt in the gym you will notice that after a few times its not going to be as bad as you think.

You are just freaking yourself out because you arent comfy with your physical self. it will be more likely that after sticking to the gym for a few months people will tell you how great you look after all the effort than anyone every making fun of you.

Knock the negativity and fear out of your head. I am always more impressed with someone of any size, especially bigger people because it much harder to reach the goal, that care enough about themselves to go the gym. You will get more props that you would insults.
  • Rcsie
    Rcsie Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you so much for the support everyone - i went today and it was brilliant, and I'd even be happy going on my own (I went with friends) I was that unintimidated :) thank you!
  • rpelley
    rpelley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who've posted here! This membership is a step forward to your claiming a healthy happy lifestyle. Most people are in their own world and wrapped in their own confidence issues, or lack thereof! The fact that you will go and are there is huge! You are making strides to take care of yourself! This is an important exciting time for you! While we all understand these feelings of self-consciousness, don't rain on your own parade! YOU GO GIRL!