Nervous about going to the gym...

Options

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm am a NORMAL teenage girl and I bought a gym membership with a bunch of friends THAT PROBABLY WILL ONLY GO THIS MONTH for our New Years fitness goals etc, and we're going tomorrow, but I'm really nervous because I HAVE A BAD HABIT OF JUDGING MYSELF AND BELIEVING THAT OTHER PEOPLE JUDGE ME AS WELL... How have people in the same situation found it? I know it sounds stupid :(

First of all - I fixed your post.

Second of all - decide that you WANT people to judge you.

I want to be judged.

I want people to look at me, look at my body and say - damn - that girl works hard on her body, it looks homemade. I bet she knows her way around the gym.

I dont that well yet, but I want to.

I get over fear most often by deciding that I want a reputation.

I want a reputation as the one that didnt punk out and quit when everyone else did.
    I want a repuation as that girl that took over her life and completely changed her body.
    I want a reputation as the girl who got herself strong and the guys gives her props after workouts, not soccer moms (no offense soccer moms - but yall tend to stay yalls *kitten* on the elliptical and treadmill all the time and Im just not into that stuff :heart:)
    I want a reputation for being awesome.
    I want my gym to know it more than my friends.

That's how I move past the fear.

by evolving instead.

I love this!!

when I started at the gym in February, I looked bigger than this

8193374926_e25182cc2b_q.jpg
    0120100909 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

about 3-4 months in, the trainer ( who is a cute 20-something guy) started taking notice. I about fell over when I realized he knew my schedule and when I leave after my workout he makes comments like "see you tomorrow" or "see you friday:"

A few months ago, I am pretty sure I caught him creepin and trying to watch my squat, and I smiled for days :)

this was a pic taken Christmas Eve as I exceeded my goal for squats ( I vowed to do at least ONE squat with 100#...Christmas Eve I did 3 sets of 8 with 110#)

8303445333_149151662b_q.jpg
    IMG00901-20121224-0926 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I have had several workout partners punk out on me. I decided I was not going to give them the power to keep me fat--so I plug in my Ipod, pull up a kindle book on my phone, and DO it. I am now totally hooked on lifting. By Christmas 2013 I am going to be amazing!
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    Options
    People are so busy trying to get it in they don't have time to be worried about what you are doing unless you purposely call attention to yourself (like the annoying buff guys in the back grunting and yelling like they ain't got no sense).
  • leffy05
    leffy05 Posts: 31
    Options
    I had the same problem when I had moved to a different town. I came from a small town and knew everyone in my gym. Then, I moved to a large city for college and I suddenly was extremely self-conscious when I stepped into that gym for the first time. You need to remember that you're in there for yourself, your health, your life. Everyone will judge, that's life. When you step through the doors you need to remember to put the blinders on and focus on your goals. I'm sure I look like a **** in the gym because I put on my headphones, focus on what I'm doing, and leave. The gym is great place to find out about yourself and other people. Stop and look around while you're in there and you'll quickly discover who has a plan and who doesn't. Look at those same people a month later and you'll see who is getting results, people with plans, goals, and DETERMINATION! Good Luck!

Remember, be "the Lion" in the gym.
    The Lion is the King of the Jungle, because the lion doesn't take any ****, the Lion doesn't give a ****, because the Lion is the ****. The gym is your jungle, be King :)
  • foodie99
    Options
    I work at the gym at the front desk and we see all kinds of people walk through our doors; young, old, thin, overweight, tall, and short.

It doesn't matter.

No one is going to judge you because you are all there for the same reasons - to get FIT!

It is completely normal to feel nervous and out-of-place, but there are employees there to assist you if you need help with a particular piece of equipment. And most importantly, go at your own pace. Your body will tell you when you are reaching the limit. Just so long as you are listening to your body (and not your mind that may be telling you to give up) you will be fine. After the first 4 or 5 visits you'll wonder why you were ever so afraid.

Ditto.

I was swamped signing up new people, giving tours, and showing new people equipment last night. Some of the regulars were joking that they wished it was March already (because then most of the new people would not be there anymore), but none of them were judging the people coming in the door.

Become one of the regulars. You don't need to be perfect (whatever that means), you don't need to have the best exercise outfit, you need to have motivation to make yourself better. If you make eye contact with someone, smile and give them a nod. If you see someone using a piece of equipment you'd like to try, ask them if they would show you / talk to you about it. The majority of regulars in my gym are super nice and willing to help anyone. In fact, one time I sent a NEWBIE, I'm talking his first time ever in a gym, over to a guy we call Big Mike. He's easily 6' 2" and has to turn sideways to get through our door because of how broad/built his shoulders and chest are. Mike helped the guy and later said it was good I sent him over because he'd been doing some things that would hurt him more than help.
  • kristinglori
    Options
    If you do run into people that are judging you, let them judge. For every person that you think is judging you, there are many others thinking this: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

This.is.awesome
  • lrose50
    lrose50 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    To be honest I think people are judging you - people will always judge you - the thing is you can't let that keep you from going. Put on a set of head phones with your favorite up beat music and just concentrate on your workout. Pretty soon you will see you are improving (your stamina) and it won't matter anymore. Make goals for yourself. 10 minutes on a treadmill one day - 12 the next, 14 the next. 2 times a week will turn into 3. This is a gift you are giving yourself and don't let anyone take that from you !!!!!! You will see in a very short period of time some big differences. All the best.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I started walking on the treadmill at 280 lbs 2 years ago. The only person that matters should be you. When I see someone just starting out I applaud them for having the courage to START and then to keep going. Measure yourself in progress.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm am extremely self conscious and overweight teenage girl and I bought a gym membership with a bunch of (much much slimmer) friends for our New Years fitness goals etc, and we're going tomorrow, but I'm really nervous because I don't want to be judged for being so overweight and unfit... How have people in the same situation found it? I know it sounds stupid :(
    The world doesn't revolve around you. The people in the gym are looking at the guys/gals lifting some heavy *kitten* weight, with amazing physiques and/or people who are purposely drawing attention to themselves. You may draw some attention if you are squatting with yoga pants/booty shorts and happen to have an amazing 5-star *kitten* but that's about it stop worrying about what other people might see you as and lift. I assume you're nervous because you don't have an amazing fit physique, no one who starts going to the gym does, you will be among the many "new years resolution"-ers (every one of them probably as out of shape as you are) who flood the gym during this time of year.

Long story short... no one is going to be looking at you, just lift.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to has some very fit people in it. There are triathletes, and professional fitness people. I went in weighing over 300 lbs. If they judge me, that is their problem.

I do know that I kick my own butt in the gym. I kick it to a point that I was told I was an athlete ( sure don't look it) and I have had lots of people comment on my work outs. I am sweaty and out of breath and have a red face.

People will always respect someone who is doing their best. If you are in your gym to work out and not just sit there looking pretty, you will be respected.

If, however, you go and sit on a machine and text or you go on one cardio machine for 5 minutes bounce to another and then walk around, people will judge you. They will see you as a New Year's resolution wanna be and will quickly dismiss you.

Do your best, work hard and have fun

oh...and a great playlist on your ipod helps
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Focus on u.. Ur goals, ur journey. With everyday u work out u get better, stronger. I'm at a gym where there is no judgement (Planet Fitness) and I love it. Raise your head high and get moving. Go a few times a week and walk the rest of the days. The more you move the more weight will come off. You have to eat right too. So start by drinking plenty of water and eating clean (fresh fruits, veggies, lean meats and whole grains). You CAN do this! U eill love yourself for it too. Good luck.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    gymtimidation is one of the easier things to kill - but not til you arrive there :heart:
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    when I first started going to the gym I was 6'1", 315lbs and could barely bench 145lb. I was self conscious for the first week because I figured a guy my size should be a damn horse right out the gate, then I realized you can't get to where you want to be without climbing the ladder. Keep you're eye on the prize and keep in mind you have already beat every other person who won't even try
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    keep in mind you have already beat every other person who won't even try

Great job that you accomplished some goals for yourself in the gym... but the above attitude sucks, quite frankly, and is at the root of the problem that the OP has brought up here... judgment of others.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    OK, I read this somewhere (quite possibly here!) and it has stuck with me. I do not claim credit for it. But I think it speaks volumes.

"Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the
    running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy.
    You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make
    you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops
    on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so
    much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes
    at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You
    never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the
    reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is
    tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a
    brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will
    far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face
    your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this
    physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult
    decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take
    is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so
    slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were
    in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is
    stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is
    possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and
    put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that
    the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so
    inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people,
    know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so
    many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health,
    “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from
    deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are
    relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and
    you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe
    tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will
    not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a
    new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you."
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Just focus on you and your workout! You're not there for them- you're there for yourself! We all have to start somewhere. Congrats on taking the 1st step!
    ^^^ this! Everyone there is pretty much worried about themselves. Congratulations to you for doing it!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's a great attitude. She IS going to the gym. She IS trying. Eventually, she'll have success. The others? They won't have success because they haven't tried.

OP, you have to start somewhere. Let them judge and who cares what they think! You are there for YOU. You're there to make your body healthier. Exercise to your hearts content and keep getting better.
    keep in mind you have already beat every other person who won't even try

Great job that you accomplished some goals for yourself in the gym... but the above attitude sucks, quite frankly, and is at the root of the problem that the OP has brought up here... judgment of others.
  • zaakystyles
    Options
    Everyone is worried about doing their own workouts or whatever. If they notice on a break or something they are just glad to see you trying to better yourself instead of what? Nothing. You win by trying. You only lose by letting the fear overcome you. Once you become a regular, you will know and feel the respect you give yourself, not that others give you. Keep with it!
  • jenjoyk
    Options
    It will be ok, I felt the same way the first few times I went. Just focus on your goal, no one is there to judge you. Each time you step foot in it gets easier.
  • lrgarza82
    lrgarza82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    :) I echo everyone else's sentiments. I was nervous, too, and hated working out in the common area with all the mirrors. Everyone else looked tone and there I was, doing jumping jacks with my belly jumping more than the rest of me. Thing is, while people did look at me and some stare, they weren't thinking what I thought. I thought they were judging me for my weight. I thought they were grossed out by my appearance. I thought they were thinking "okay, fatty, just finish that lift so I can get on that machine next and do a REAL workout"

What they WERE thinking is "I'm proud of you for putting yourself out there" ..."I'm impressed your not giving up"....Keep it up! Everyone is rooting for you!!!
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Your know what it may seem nice to bring your friends with with, but in the end it might just make you more self conscious, best advice I can give is to either go with one good friend and work your *kitten* of who cares who's watching everyone else there is doing their own thing :) ps. You can add me for encouragement