"Just break up already"

Options
llaurenmarie
llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
General Question:

Do you feel like there's a minimum amount of time you need to truly move on?
Or is life too short to dwell on something that didn't work out?

Replies

• diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    In before Just break up girl.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Well there's really no answer. There are a lot of variables...
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I wasted 3 years of my life on somebody who wasn't worth a day. Luckily once I decided to leave I didn't spend another second dwelling on it!
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    Well there's really no answer. There are a lot of variables...
    Very correct
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I wasted 3 years of my life on somebody who wasn't worth a day. Luckily once I decided to leave I didn't spend another second dwelling on it!
    I actually had the same experience a few years ago, moved right on after it and it changed me for the best :)
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

Pretty much this for me.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options

Pretty much this for me.
    I find that it is possible to have your 'recovery' period before you actually even break it off if it's a long drug out kinda thing..
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Exactly. You just need to grow to hate the very sight of the person first :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the situation.

I met with a guy I've been seeing for a few weeks last night, and we decided to stop seeing each other... and while I'm not upset over it or can't say that I didn't see it coming, I still feel like there is unfinished business there and that it's going to take time to move on.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    some people are easy to get over.... others not so much!

i was with my ex for almost 4years. even though we ended it we've still maintained a really good relationship. i keep on meeting *kitten* which makes it difficult to not want to go back.

distance does help though. sigh. matters of the heart are never easy to solve.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Pretty much this for me.
    I find that it is possible to have your 'recovery' period before you actually even break it off if it's a long drug out kinda thing..
    Yes. This happened to me. I was over my ex about 2 years before we divorced. Sadly.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I dwelled on a break up . . . when I was 13. Not saying that break ups aren't difficult or emotional, but I they aren't worth dwelling on. I'm friendly (as in facebook friends and sometime chat) with most of the guys I dated who were quality people except 1 because that was a difficult relationship for him to end (he was getting ready to propose, I wasn't getting ready to say yes). I hold neither ill will nor desire toward any of them. My life is a seies of stepping stones and those relationships taught me, in the long run, which attributes I did and which attributes I didn't want in a relaitonship. Sitting back and analyzing them also helped me to evaluate the type of man I gravitated toward so that I could make smarter decisions.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Going through something myself and I do believe you need time to let yourself heal.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    depends on the person, the situation, what is wrong, what I want out of the relationship, how long I have already been in that relationship, how long I have tried to 'make it work', how the other person is trying (if they are trying) the list goes on there is no real answer.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Exactly. You just need to grow to hate the very sight of the person first :)

I've been married 25 years and I think about 2 years ago is when I got to this spot. Still with him as roommates though-- can't afford a lawyer and can't afford to live without his income. ..and well he's got nowhere else to go so it's a matter of convenience. When you get to be our ages sometimes that's as good as it gets.

I'm jealous of all you young people that can change things and get out and find the "right" one.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    To Each Their Own!!

Also, it depends on HOW the relationship broke up, the length & the "strength" of the relationship, and quite frankly, HOW it changed you during the relationship. I was with someone for over a year and the break-up, eventhough it was a month or so in the making, it still took me about 3 months to just FEEL like myself again! He controlled everything we did and I wasnt myself when I was with him. He didnt control ME but, it did seem like I like him take control of the relationship. When we were not together, I was a different person then when we were out as a couple. Once I got over THAT aspect of it, I was fine and ready to move on. For me, I jsut had to get ME back first!! :-)
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Bump. I need to hear this.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options

Pretty much this for me.
    If it were me, once a relationship is truly over, I am DONE.
    No sitting around the house alone listening to sad music.
    Seriously, if the relationship is truly over, get out and meet new folks.
    Have some fun, and enjoy the possibilities.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    When it's over, it's over, I moved on to something better.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    General Question:

Do you feel like there's a minimum amount of time you need to truly move on?
    Or is life too short to dwell on something that didn't work out?
    It depends on the person and the relationship. I've had relationships that have taken years to completely get over and I've had relationships where I was over it the second we broke up.