Raw vegetables and fruit have calories?

Options

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I know what you are talking about, there are some diets that list some Negative calorie and or free foods A Look at Negative Calorie Foods on this website

http://www.calories-in-foods.com/negative-calorie-foods-list.php
    That website is so full of malarkey and misinformation that it's funny.

Now, here's an excerpt from an actual science-based article rather than a bunch of scammy diet BS (emphasis added to highlight the portion relevant to this topic):
    The thermic effect of food (TEF, also known as specific dynamic action or SDA or Dietary Induced Thermogenesis or DIT) refers to the slight bump in metabolic rate that occurs after eating, due to processing and utilization of the ingested nutrients. For example, protein has to be broken down and processed in the liver which requires energy. As well, the simple act of eating protein stimulates protein synthesis in various tissues (organs, liver, muscle) as well. All of which takes energy. Carbohydrates get broken down to glucose, which goes through the liver, some processing, etc. Fat undergoes the least processing. There are exceptions such as medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which undergo quite a bit of processing in the liver, causing a slight bump in metabolic rate (via TEF) in the process.

As it turns out, different nutrients have different individual TEF’s. Protein turns out to have the highest, to the tune of 20-30%. Meaning that of the total protein calories you eat, 20-30% is lost in processing. Carbohydrate stored as glycogen requires about 5-6% of the total calories. Carbohydrate converted to fat (which generally doesn’t happen in very significant amounts) uses up ~23% of the total calories as TEF. Most fats have a tiny TEF, maybe 2-3% (because they can be stored as fat in fat cells with minimal processing).

As stated above, the TEF of carbohydrates is approximately 5-6%. A 4-inch stalk of celery contains somewhere around 3 calories. The TEF will total up to 0.18 calories at most, leaving a net intake of 2.82 calories. Negligible, but it's not "negative calories". A cup of blueberries contains around 83 calories. The TEF will total up to just under 5 calories (4.98), leaving a net intake of 78.02 calories. Definitely NOT negative calories.

Interesting.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    .... "there are no reputable scientific studies to prove that certain foods are negative-calorie."

Yeah, I find this interesting too :)

Lol, okay, and?

And what? I can't point something out and find it interesting?
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    .... "there are no reputable scientific studies to prove that certain foods are negative-calorie."

Lol, okay, and?

Lol, I just don't get what you're trying to point out. That was kind of the point of what I posted.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I know what you are talking about, there are some diets that list some Negative calorie and or free foods A Look at Negative Calorie Foods on this website

http://www.calories-in-foods.com/negative-calorie-foods-list.php
    That website is so full of malarkey and misinformation that it's funny.

Now, here's an excerpt from an actual science-based article rather than a bunch of scammy diet BS (emphasis added to highlight the portion relevant to this topic):
    The thermic effect of food (TEF, also known as specific dynamic action or SDA or Dietary Induced Thermogenesis or DIT) refers to the slight bump in metabolic rate that occurs after eating, due to processing and utilization of the ingested nutrients. For example, protein has to be broken down and processed in the liver which requires energy. As well, the simple act of eating protein stimulates protein synthesis in various tissues (organs, liver, muscle) as well. All of which takes energy. Carbohydrates get broken down to glucose, which goes through the liver, some processing, etc. Fat undergoes the least processing. There are exceptions such as medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which undergo quite a bit of processing in the liver, causing a slight bump in metabolic rate (via TEF) in the process.

As it turns out, different nutrients have different individual TEF’s. Protein turns out to have the highest, to the tune of 20-30%. Meaning that of the total protein calories you eat, 20-30% is lost in processing. Carbohydrate stored as glycogen requires about 5-6% of the total calories. Carbohydrate converted to fat (which generally doesn’t happen in very significant amounts) uses up ~23% of the total calories as TEF. Most fats have a tiny TEF, maybe 2-3% (because they can be stored as fat in fat cells with minimal processing).

As stated above, the TEF of carbohydrates is approximately 5-6%. A 4-inch stalk of celery contains somewhere around 3 calories. The TEF will total up to 0.18 calories at most, leaving a net intake of 2.82 calories. Negligible, but it's not "negative calories". A cup of blueberries contains around 83 calories. The TEF will total up to just under 5 calories (4.98), leaving a net intake of 78.02 calories. Definitely NOT negative calories.

If you read the web article carefully, you can see the expert consulted has had their quotes cherry picked to suit the article. The quote where they said there are foods that take more calories to digest, they were likely saying some food take more calories to digest than others, such as comparing bacon to glucose syrup. Opposed to them requiring more to digest than they provide.

If you think about it, if the myth were true, the quantity for this effect to take place would be irrelevant.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Lol, okay, and?

Lol, I just don't get what you're trying to point out. That was kind of the point of what I posted.

It's quoted. I'm pointing out a part of what you wrote...as in, I find it interesting that through the arguments that there isn't any reputable scientific study that proves that certain foods are negative-calorie. O.o.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I know I'm new and all, but I have to say that I'm shocked that people feel the need to mock and insult someone for asking a simple, on-topic question. I thought these forums would be supportive. I'm sorry to see that I was wrong.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    There are some fruits and vegetables that are "negative calorie", meaning your body burns more calories than the actual food contains, like celery and blueberries for instance.

If that was true I'd nibble on them ALL DAY LONG but it is NOT true worst luck!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you read the web article carefully, you can see the expert consulted has had their quotes cherry picked to suit the article. The quote where they said there are foods that take more calories to digest, they were likely saying some food take more calories to digest than others, such as comparing bacon to glucose syrup. Opposed to them requiring more to digest than they provide.

If you think about it, if the myth were true, the quantity for this effect to take place would be irrelevant.
    I did notice that.

The positive part about TEF is that, if you notice, protein has a TEF of around 20-30%. That means a nice, lean steak nets us about 30% less calories than it would appear. MOAR STEAK!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    There are some fruits and vegetables that are "negative calorie", meaning your body burns more calories than the actual food contains, like celery and blueberries for instance.

If that was true I'd nibble on them ALL DAY LONG but it is NOT true worst luck!

Read what I said after.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I know I'm new and all, but I have to say that I'm shocked that people feel the need to mock and insult someone for asking a simple, on-topic question. I thought these forums would be supportive. I'm sorry to see that I was wrong.
    yea I don't really get it either, it seems pointless to me. A brand new member, her very first post, a serious question posted in the correct area "Food and Nutrition" and she's laughed at, mocked, someone told her FU for not knowing the info she asked about... great way to make MFP shine... trash the new folks.:noway: :indifferent:

I always appreciate the ppl that actually stick to the topic and take a member seriously (and remember they were new once too) and respond kindly.

I love new members, they bring new life to MFP and make it shine... sometimes it gets a bit tarnished and needs polishing up with new thoughts and ideas. Nothing wrong with asking questions, it's getting mocked for doing so that bothers me.:noway:
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    yea I don't really get it either, it seems pointless to me. A brand new member, her very first post, a serious question posted in the correct area "Food and Nutrition" and she's laughed at, mocked, someone told her FU for not knowing the info she asked about... great way to make MFP shine... trash the new folks.:noway: :indifferent:

I always appreciate the ppl that actually stick to the topic and take a member seriously (and remember they were new once too) and respond kindly.

I love new members, they bring new life to MFP and make it shine... sometimes it gets a bit tarnished and needs polishing up with new thoughts and ideas. Nothing wrong with asking questions, it's getting mocked for doing so that bothers me.:noway:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Also, new information comes out everyday. And different people have different information, or just different ways of doing things...weight loss is not a one size fits all deal. It really is a great way to share things, but people choose to bash others instead. I hope she isn't totally turned off by MFP after this.
  • mockchoc
    Options

Also, new information comes out everyday. And different people have different information, or just different ways of doing things...weight loss is not a one size fits all deal. It really is a great way to share things, but people choose to bash others instead. I hope she isn't totally turned off by MFP after this.

True but they are never going to find blueberries out to be a negative calorie food.
  • lwagnitz
    Options

True but they are never going to find blueberries out to be a negative calorie food.

Lol wth, okay. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Point made.
  • mockchoc
    Options

Lol wth, okay. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Point made.

:)
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    OP, you might find this beneficial to look at.

http://www.linda-rd.com/blog/fruit-vegetable-calories-chart-list/
  • femelmay
    Options
    Wow! Some of you are really rude! I thought this was a learning process. I have NEVER counted calories before and had read certain veggies and fruit have negative calories and took that at face value. And of course I didn't go over from eating just veggies and fruit- there is no way I could just eat that stuff all day. My mom does weight watchers so yeah I thought it wouldn't "count" against me. Like I said it's a learning process for me to start eating better so I won't be overweight anymore. Thank you for all the informative posts!
  • femelmay
    Options

• IronSmasher
    Options
    Wow! Some of you are really rude! I thought this was a learning process. I have NEVER counted calories before and had read certain veggies and fruit have negative calories and took that at face value. And of course I didn't go over from eating just veggies and fruit- there is no way I could just eat that stuff all day. My mom does weight watchers so yeah I thought it wouldn't "count" against me. Like I said it's a learning process for me to start eating better so I won't be overweight anymore. Thank you for all the informative posts!

Yeah, several members guessed you might have Weight Watchers experience, I think it's a tactic to get people to eat more veg.

As you can see from the arguments between members on this thread, others are still learning too.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

I'm loving the new members asking the questions, it's the new 'experts' we suddenly have answering them this month I'm concerned about.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Was OP being serious to begin with???