Raw vegetables and fruit have calories?

Options
12346»

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Was OP being serious to begin with???

That was my question at the start and frankly it was an honest question. A simple "yes" would have sufficed but then, checking the "Food" section on here would have also provided a definitive answer, yes, fruit and vegetables have calories.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Wow! Some of you are really rude! I thought this was a learning process. I have NEVER counted calories before and had read certain veggies and fruit have negative calories and took that at face value. And of course I didn't go over from eating just veggies and fruit- there is no way I could just eat that stuff all day. My mom does weight watchers so yeah I thought it wouldn't "count" against me. Like I said it's a learning process for me to start eating better so I won't be overweight anymore. Thank you for all the informative posts!

OP, when you enter your food intake and exercise into your diary, then get what you need to live and then to lose, your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) accounts for what calories are used to do things like digest, sleep and just be alive. So on this site, everything that goes in your mouth should go in your food diary for it to be close to accurate. The only things I don't put in are black coffee, water and cf diet coke. And there might be some argument on that last one.

I suspect you are younger. Cool. Get a good start on learning this stuff. The net has lots of info but some of it is junk. If you read something on the net, try to find a reputable second source.

BTW, Weight watchers can be a useful program, but they do figure things differently. And nothing can be completely accurate as to calorie count.

HTH,
    Susan
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I love new members, they bring new life to MFP and make it shine... sometimes it gets a bit tarnished and needs polishing up with new thoughts and ideas. Nothing wrong with asking questions, it's getting mocked for doing so that bothers me.:noway:

I'm loving the new members asking the questions, it's the new 'experts' we suddenly have answering them this month I'm concerned about.

I agree. There are a lot of people on this website that deem themselves intelligent enough to answer some questions that require a background on the subject and yet they don't even bother to Google it before answering. Or if they do Google it, they must press, "I'm Feeling Lucky" and let Google take them to the first website that Google can think of and then the poster just "copy" "paste."
  • heathermstrom
    Options
    They do have calories... BUT, think about it... by eating fruits and veggies, are you eating healthier than normal? The answer is likely, yes.

It just reminds me of something Bob said on Biggest Loser several seasons back when he was asked about overeating the good-for-you stuff. He said, "You did not get fat from eating too many fruits and vegetables. No one gets fat from eating fruits and vegetables."

True story. I got fat from eating way too much junk food and Mcdonalds. Lesson learned.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Was OP being serious to begin with???
    Why would you even question that!? This isn't the chit chat section, it's the Food and Nutrition section, it was her first post and many ppl do think that fruits and veggies are "free", it was a very legit question . It may have something to do with the WW diet where they don't have members count them in their daily food allotment and over time ppl have begun to question it.

New ppl, veterans, we're all allowed to ask questions, it's not the questions that seem to be at issue here but the manners that seem to be missing in the responses!

We were all new once, come on... let's give our New Members a break and actually treat them with some kindness and show them MFP is a GREAT site to use. I'd hate to see anyone leave because of someone being a smart aleck when someone asks a question. It's a turn off when you're brand new, it's hard to even ask your first question on the board, it's unfortunate so many seem to have forgotten what it's like to be new on a message board.

Got some rude comment to say to the OP's asking questions? Shut off your computer and go get a great workout in, bet you will completely forget all about your smart *kitten* remarks by the time you sweat it off.:flowerforyou:
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If fruits and veggies are a large part of your daily intake, it's alright that you're getting a lot of your calories from them, even it if sends you a little bit over your target.
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just as there is good cholesterol and bad cholesterol, and good fats and bad fats, think of it as good calories and bad calories. Yes, all foods have calories, unless they have been chemically modified not to (i.e., sugar free foods, with rare exceptions like stevia). Fruits do have more calories than veggies because they contain (naturally occurring) sugars. Veggies with higher sugar content (take carrots and corn as examples) will also be higher calorie. If you are just starting your weight loss endeavor, keep sticking with your fruits and veggies. When you start hitting a plateau (and you will, it's normal and happens to most of us), cut back on the sugarier foods like fruits and carrots, etc. For myself, personally, I take a more low-carb approach to dieting, so I am eating NO fruit right now, and only veggies with a low sugar, high-fiber content. It's lucky for me I love broccoli and spinach! If you're focusing on calories, it's really about all things in moderation. Fruits like apples and oranges have a higher caloric (sugar) content, so they're more likely to put you over your total for the day. Hope this helps . . .
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Um, what? Food has calories.. plain and simple. You should control your intake and not binge on them like any other food.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I know I'm new and all, but I have to say that I'm shocked that people feel the need to mock and insult someone for asking a simple, on-topic question. I thought these forums would be supportive. I'm sorry to see that I was wrong.
    yea I don't really get it either, it seems pointless to me. A brand new member, her very first post, a serious question posted in the correct area "Food and Nutrition" and she's laughed at, mocked, someone told her FU for not knowing the info she asked about... great way to make MFP shine... trash the new folks.:noway: :indifferent:

I always appreciate the ppl that actually stick to the topic and take a member seriously (and remember they were new once too) and respond kindly.

I love new members, they bring new life to MFP and make it shine... sometimes it gets a bit tarnished and needs polishing up with new thoughts and ideas. Nothing wrong with asking questions, it's getting mocked for doing so that bothers me.:noway:

I'm loving the new members asking the questions, it's the new 'experts' we suddenly have answering them this month I'm concerned about.

RollingEyes1.gif
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    not-sure-if-serious-or-trying-to-be-funny.jpg

↑↑My thoughts exactly↑↑