Is a thigh gap possible?

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think it's only possible if a) you have wide hips, as many posters have already mentioned, and b) if you have virtually no fat OR muscle. Muscle is more compact than fat, but there's a reason a bodybuilder's thigh can be the same circumference as a heavyset thigh. I used to concern myself with the trivial pursuits of thigh gaps, but honestly, my thigh muscles will never allow it and I always get complimented on my legs anyway! Focus on the big picture, not the little details.

how many times do i have to say that this is false? are people just skipping my posts?

i have big thighs AND thigh gap. you just need wide hips.

Why is your post the bottom line? You should probably close your posts with an "/thread" so people will know the question has been answered definitively.

I'm pointing out that having thin legs as an absolute criteria for thigh gap is incorrect. What exactly do you have an issue with in my post?
    No problem. Just trying to be helpful! :flowerforyou:
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    I never had a thigh gap.. then I had three kids lost the weight and boom there it is.. I think it def has to do with wider hips. Really not that impressive. I like how it looks in the bikini though.

12513244.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    dumped-her-after-two-dates-no-thigh-gap-a76657.jpg
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This question makes me :( for the poster...
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    dumped-her-after-two-dates-no-thigh-gap-a76657.jpg

lmao!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I never had a thigh gap.. then I had three kids lost the weight and boom there it is.. I think it def has to do with wider hips. Really not that impressive. I like how it looks in the bikini though.

there ya go OP

have three kids and get a boat

thigh gap DONE!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

there ya go OP

have three kids and get a boat

thigh gap DONE!

I have 3 kids and no thigh gap.

Can I return the kids?
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    haha! Thanks, this post made me laugh. I'm 5'2'' as well, and something like 37-29-36... I HATE that my thighs rub together. It's uncomfortable. Maybe not a big gap like thos tall skinny model chick, but I could handle trimming up the thighs a bit! Good luck to you!
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Haha! I can say I personally care because I the comfort factor. I don't like wearing shorts in the summer because my thighs rub and it's irritating.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Pringles can thigh gap tutorial

Step 1: eat a can of pringles

Step 2: cut the bottom of the can off

Step 3: place pringles can between your upper thighs

Step 4: using ample duct tape, secure the can between your thighs

Step 5: celebrate!
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    Here is someone who claims to have figured out the formula...

http://matchstickmolly.com/post/3185753259/theleggap
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think it's only possible if a) you have wide hips, as many posters have already mentioned, and b) if you have virtually no fat OR muscle. Muscle is more compact than fat, but there's a reason a bodybuilder's thigh can be the same circumference as a heavyset thigh. I used to concern myself with the trivial pursuits of thigh gaps, but honestly, my thigh muscles will never allow it and I always get complimented on my legs anyway! Focus on the big picture, not the little details.

i have big thighs AND thigh gap. you just need wide hips.

Why is your post the bottom line? You should probably close your posts with an "/thread" so people will know the question has been answered definitively.

I'm pointing out that having thin legs as an absolute criteria for thigh gap is incorrect. What exactly do you have an issue with in my post?
    No problem. Just trying to be helpful! :flowerforyou:

That IS very helpful. Oh! /thread. Definitively answered. Moving on...
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    First, you sound like a very small hourglass shape to me, with the waist about 8 inches smaller than everything else and the hips and bust so close together.

Secondly, I find thigh gaps creepy, but as far as I know, anyone can have one if they lose enough fat. Whether or not that's healthy is up to you. It has to do with the amount of fat your thighs carry and how wide your hip bones are. If your hips were 35" and your thighs were smaller than 35" around... thigh gap. So theoretically it's possible.

I would find out or estimate your bodyfat %. You sound like you are fairly slim already. It's not worth going below a healthy bodyfat percentage just to have the body status trend item of the decade. In ten years it might be something else.

I AGREE WITH THE CREEPY THIGH GAP COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I never heard of this until MFP
    I am 41...maybe it's my age...
    Probably because you're not an impressionable 16-19 year old girl who's influenced by all their anorexic/thinspo friends and the emaciated, skeleton-like models in their teen magazines/websites, who consider a thigh gap (along with jutting collarbones and hip bones) as the ultimate attainment of skinniness rather than what they really are - a ghastly, unhealthy goal to strive for unless you're genetically predisposed to it.

In response to the OP - yes, it's possible if you have the right bone structure for it. If you don't, you'll have a hard time achieving it and will look like a tweeker by the time you get there - not exactly an attractive look.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Haha! I can say I personally care because I the comfort factor. I don't like wearing shorts in the summer because my thighs rub and it's irritating.

You actually don't need a thigh gap to not have rubbing. I do not have a gap, but my legs no longer rub or chafe like they once did when I had more weight- my short running shorts don't even move around anymore!

The "thigh gap" specifically is something that generally young girls idealize....it's the latest in random skinny body part obsessions preceded by hip bones and collarbones...the same crowd that promote undereating and thinspo.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Rolls eyes
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    2q9bfqp.gif

Spread your legs...thigh gap...done.

You win!

Thanks for the laugh as I rolled my eyes at another thigh gap thread :)
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    First, you sound like a very small hourglass shape to me, with the waist about 8 inches smaller than everything else and the hips and bust so close together.

Secondly, I find thigh gaps creepy, but as far as I know, anyone can have one if they lose enough fat. Whether or not that's healthy is up to you. It has to do with the amount of fat your thighs carry and how wide your hip bones are. If your hips were 35" and your thighs were smaller than 35" around... thigh gap. So theoretically it's possible.

I would find out or estimate your bodyfat %. You sound like you are fairly slim already. It's not worth going below a healthy bodyfat percentage just to have the body status trend item of the decade. In ten years it might be something else.

Some women naturally have thigh gaps. To refer to any body type as "creepy" is body-shaming and does not belong in the forums.
  • DestroyTheOpposition
    Options
    ...I never heard of this until MFP
    I am 41...maybe it's my age...
    Probably because you're not an impressionable 16-19 year old girl who's influenced by all their anorexic/thinspo friends and the emaciated, skeleton-like models in their teen magazines/websites, who consider a thigh gap (along with jutting collarbones and hip bones) as the ultimate attainment of skinniness rather than what they really are - a ghastly, unhealthy goal to strive for unless you're genetically predisposed to it.

In response to the OP - yes, it's possible if you have the right bone structure for it. If you don't, you'll have a hard time achieving it and will look like a tweeker by the time you get there - not exactly an attractive look.

Totally agree with this.
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options

Some women naturally have thigh gaps. To refer to any body type as "creepy" is body-shaming and does not belong in the forums.

TY..