Is a thigh gap possible?

Options

Replies

• ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    OMG. So many wins in the thread... Thanks for the multiple LOLs.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Haha! I can say I personally care because I the comfort factor. I don't like wearing shorts in the summer because my thighs rub and it's irritating.

You actually don't need a thigh gap to not have rubbing. I do not have a gap, but my legs no longer rub or chafe like they once did when I had more weight- my short running shorts don't even move around anymore!

The "thigh gap" specifically is something that generally young girls idealize....it's the latest in random skinny body part obsessions preceded by hip bones and collarbones...the same crowd that promote undereating and thinspo.

hip bones are in too????? wow, i was totally born in the wrong generation. i had huge jutting out hip bones when i was a kid and skinnier as well as huge thigh gap.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    22828839_zpsc1cadaa6.jpg
  • Aviva92
    Options
    First, you sound like a very small hourglass shape to me, with the waist about 8 inches smaller than everything else and the hips and bust so close together.

Secondly, I find thigh gaps creepy, but as far as I know, anyone can have one if they lose enough fat. Whether or not that's healthy is up to you. It has to do with the amount of fat your thighs carry and how wide your hip bones are. If your hips were 35" and your thighs were smaller than 35" around... thigh gap. So theoretically it's possible.

I would find out or estimate your bodyfat %. You sound like you are fairly slim already. It's not worth going below a healthy bodyfat percentage just to have the body status trend item of the decade. In ten years it might be something else.

I AGREE WITH THE CREEPY THIGH GAP COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some women naturally have thigh gaps. To refer to any body type as "creepy" is body-shaming and does not belong in the forums.

this! thank you!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Haha! I can say I personally care because I the comfort factor. I don't like wearing shorts in the summer because my thighs rub and it's irritating.

You actually don't need a thigh gap to not have rubbing. I do not have a gap, but my legs no longer rub or chafe like they once did when I had more weight- my short running shorts don't even move around anymore!

The "thigh gap" specifically is something that generally young girls idealize....it's the latest in random skinny body part obsessions preceded by hip bones and collarbones...the same crowd that promote undereating and thinspo.

hip bones are in too????? wow, i was totally born in the wrong generation. i had huge jutting out hip bones when i was a kid and skinnier as well as huge thigh gap.

Hip bones might be passé at this point, but they were definitely cool* before. I think that was before people realized how cool* thigh gaps really are.

*cool with teenage girls who idealize ultra-skinniness.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    22828839_zpsc1cadaa6.jpg

24947703.jpg
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    First, you sound like a very small hourglass shape to me, with the waist about 8 inches smaller than everything else and the hips and bust so close together.

Secondly, I find thigh gaps creepy, but as far as I know, anyone can have one if they lose enough fat. Whether or not that's healthy is up to you. It has to do with the amount of fat your thighs carry and how wide your hip bones are. If your hips were 35" and your thighs were smaller than 35" around... thigh gap. So theoretically it's possible.

I would find out or estimate your bodyfat %. You sound like you are fairly slim already. It's not worth going below a healthy bodyfat percentage just to have the body status trend item of the decade. In ten years it might be something else.

Some women naturally have thigh gaps. To refer to any body type as "creepy" is body-shaming and does not belong in the forums.

I didn't intend it to be body shaming, I intended it to be true. I admire many things about naturally slim bodies, but I've never actually seen someone with a "thigh gap" who was naturally thin, I've only ever seen it on pro ana tumblrs and obviously seriously underweight models. Like people who's ribs you can count or people who have row upon row of visible vertabrae, I associate it with people who are unnaturally thin. I have a natural "roll" in the belly button area and bulging lovehandles. If someone said they found them creepy because they associated them with unnatural weight gain, I would not be offended, even if we lived in a culture that was obsessed with holding women who are heavy up as ideals.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Where did I put that dead horse gif...?

I'm over here kicking it!
  • Aviva92
    Options

I didn't intend it to be body shaming, I intended it to be true. I admire many things about naturally slim bodies, but I've never actually seen someone with a "thigh gap" who was naturally thin, I've only ever seen it on pro ana tumblrs and obviously seriously underweight models. Like people who's ribs you can count or people who have row upon row of visible vertabrae, I associate it with people who are unnaturally thin. I have a natural "roll" in the belly button area and bulging lovehandles. If someone said they found them creepy because they associated them with unnatural weight gain, I would not be offended, even if we lived in a culture that was obsessed with holding women who are heavy up as ideals.

did you read my post? you do not need to be thin to have thigh gap.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Hip bones might be passé at this point, but they were definitely cool* before. I think that was before people realized how cool* thigh gaps really are.

*cool with teenage girls who idealize ultra-skinniness.

neither cool for me in the 80's-early 90's. i missed out. :sad:
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    I have the same type of body as you. The only time my thighs haven't touched was when I was extremely underweight with a BMI of about 15 and suffering from anorexia. Unless that sounds like fun to you, probably not attainable.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You need wide hips for thigh gap. I always had one
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    You and I have pretty much the same measurements except my waist is 26 5/8 and my hips are 35 1/2. And I'm taller. I have a slight gap from my knee to mid thigh, but my inner thighs mush together. I'm ok with it. Thigh gap isn't important. If u have the bone structure to have it, then u will, but if not then u wont. There isn't a formula that will help u achieve this. Focus on being healthy.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Truth. I'm not thin and I have a thigh gap. Guess I got lucky but I never knew it was a "thing" to achieve until MFP
  • callmenam
    callmenam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have big thighs and a thigh gap. Wasn't aiming for it, didn't think my body would do it. Just happened when I lost some weight
  • ladyartichoke
    Options
    I know how frustrating it is. I've had this problem for years even when I was a child. My body shape means I will never have a gap there (I too was a size 8 once, now a 12). I have HUGE thighs, I have always had to buy jeans one size too big and wear a belt to fit them in. Sadly, it makes wearing dresses in this climate uncomfortable (30 Centigrade/90 Fahrenheit; 85% humidity) - ouch the chaffing and heat rash is bad.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Truth. I'm not thin and I have a thigh gap. Guess I got lucky but I never knew it was a "thing" to achieve until MFP

I've never seen someone who was not super thin have one. If I don't notice it, I probably don't find it "creepy." I am speaking specifically about a gap like in the pro ana "do it for the gap between your thighs" picture. A large gap with square edges in the pubic area. In the pic someone posted, it looked almost the same size as her thighs, as if she was standing with her feet apart. To me, that looks weird and speaks of someone who is too skinny for their skeleton.

If you don't look like that, not talking about you.
  • Nixie_Pixie
    Options
    I've heard it depends mostly upon bone structure and how large your muscles in your legs are.
    However, the thigh gap "illusion" can be created by standing with your feet slightly apart (a cm or two is mostly done) and leaning your hips backwards. This can be seen in a lot of thigh gap pictures.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    why does anyone care?

I never heard of this until MFP
    I am 41...maybe it's my age

I still dont care

She lies. She totally cares. She's got a whole pinterest board devoted to thigh gap tips.

Tip 1) Date Milo. Big time giver of the "thigh gap".
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I would forget about the thigh gap thing. Why worry if there is no gap when your legs are closed together? It's not like you're gonna hop around down the street like that. If you don't like your thighs looking soft or squished when you stand like that, just tone them up (Build muscle) and they will look firm!

I imagine having a gap when your thighs are closed means an even BIGGER gap when standing or walking. This can start to look anorexic, especially if your body type is not meant to do that and you're forcing it. I don't know why you want this; to impress female peers or guys, but in my experience (Not speaking for everyone), guys aren't really into the hip bones, thigh gaps, ribs or loss of curves.

candice_swanepoel_shocking_weight_loss.jpg
    ^ way too much leg gap over here on this Victoria's Secret Model. Guys usually like VS models for their curbes (Breasts, small waist, bum) and not so much because they have deer legs. I'm sure if they had no thigh gaps or meatier thighs, the guys would still like them.

vs_campaign_m.jpg
    ^ More VS models. Some of their thighs looked shriveled up, sunken in and anorexic. Their knees look giant, knobby & pointy. You can actually see bones in the models who are lifting their legs outwards.

Anyway, I think you should change your role models or inspiration. Look up female athletes, workout instructors or if anything, the healthier looking celebs! Picking up some kind of fitness magazine will help too, like Women's Health Magazine. There's you see what healthy, fit women look like. No starvation or breast implants! Many models/actresses are too skinny and photographers have to actually photoshop their bones.